Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
cguz321
Follower
Follower

I am using a VMB5000rs with two cameras both of them outdoors. One is connected with a power cable and the other one is on its own battery.  The system was working great in the beginning  but now it seen is getting worse. NOW when i try to watch the video clips recorded on my browser i'm getting this alert (This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view.) ALSO i'm a premium paying customer for one of the cameras to see the timeline with i can't see at ALL... What is going on?

26 REPLIES 26
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cguz321 wrote:

NOW when i try to watch the video clips recorded on my browser i'm getting this alert (This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view.) 

That began when you switched to 2K or 4K recording.

The only Windows browser I know of that will play 2K or 4K HEVC recordings from Arlo is Edge - so try that.

Though this also requires a graphics card that supports HEVC, so even Edge won't play the videos on all PCs.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yep. Same here. I'm so used to viewing my recordings in my browser but now that I have 4K and 2K recordings, I have to remember to view those on my phone unless I want to download to my PC (which I don't really). Not Arlo's fault that most browsers won't let us play 4K or 2K content. I'm using Chrome on a Windows 10 Pro computer and not really keen to use Edge just for this

ArloDan
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are similar posts in other camera forums.  JamesC has provided this link: Which devices are supported for HEVC 4K or 2K playback?

However, I'm having this problem in Safari on Mac as well, which that site is telling me should be supported.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Before Arlo switch from flash   I could see 2k on desktop but not Tablet on edge. then after that  I could see them on tablet. Now about a week or so ago I get the must download on tablet. Not sure what happed there. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I caved. Now I'm using the Edge browser just for Arlo stuff

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Can't swear to it but Iv'e been seeing some talk about the new Chromium Edge not supporting HEVC, this keeps me from upgrading it because you have to go into reg edit to get rid of it.  It seems they want to force people to use HTML5 instead of HEVC, much the same way Microsoft and Google make you click on flash all the time to push the transition away flash.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

I've been seeing some talk about the new Chromium Edge not supporting HEVC, 

It is working for me, but it might not work on PCs that don't have hardware acceleration for HEVC at 2K or 4K.

On the main problem - I have seen cases reported here where the video will play for a second or so, and then stop with the "download to view" error.  That's a different problem - the browser definitely supports the codec, since it is playing for a bit. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

One would think that if the current Edge is working fine hardware acceleration would not be the problem.  The only reported issues I've seen (and that is not Arlo specific) were with people who could no longer play them after the update to the new improved and faster as they say Chromium Edge.  I have family that have had issues with a number of things since the update and so will be staying with the current Edge.  However, Microsoft has a way of eventually forcing it on you and forcing others to adapt

dcfox1
Master
Master

Like my earlier post it didn't  play  2K on my tablet but it did play after the arlo update that got rid of flash then stopped again several weeks later so not hardware here. Not sure what happened. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

One would think that if the current Edge is working fine hardware acceleration would not be the problem.  

Microsoft has an HEVC add-on that used to be freely available, but now costs $.99.  That was supposed to provide software support for HEVC if the hardware didn't include it.  I am guessing here, but there is a reasonable chance that the add-on doesn't work with Chromium edge.

It does work on my PCs, but they all have hardware acceleration for HEVC.

RooibosRoberto
Aspirant
Aspirant

This video is not able to play in your browser.
Please download to view.

I think the grafic card (for HEVC) will be the solution

RooibosRoberto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, will try

ArloDan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think the graphics card was indeed my problem as well (my Mac is from 2015).  I tried on a newer Mac and it is working in Safari.  Is there no setting on the camera or elsewhere to change the coding, even if it meant lowering the quality from 2K or 4K?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@ArloDan On my Pro3 if you turn on auto zoom and tracking it defaults to 1080. Probably the same for ultra  but not sure. I can see 2k on edge on desktop but not my tablet but yesterday I had 2k on tablet for two days when I tried then today I needed to download to view. There were no changes so don't know why. 

Cantanquerous
Aspirant
Aspirant

As everyone has already said, not being able to watch the HD video from our cameras in browsers is the result of H.265 dependency, which is very rarely supported. https://caniuse.com/#feat=hevc

Can we start a change request for using AV1 instead? https://caniuse.com/#feat=av1

ArloDan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nice trick!  Turning on Auto Zoom & Tracking does indeed change the resolution to 1080 and I can now view the recordings in the browser on my Mac.  However, I'm not sure I like that feature.  The video is pretty grainy and the tracking is choppy.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea I only use on some cams. It is hit or miss on being choppy when tracking and zooming. 

I haven't found another setting that defaults to 1080 other then that though for the browser issue. 

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Again Arlo totally miss the mark. Upgraded Subscription and now cant view 2k in the browser. No warning or anything when I upgraded. I can edit 4K H.265 on this computer, but crappy Arlo footage doesn't work.. 

I guess Im not surprised.. Nothing about these cameras has been smooth.. I guess I am suppose to be happy to just be able to get something for 3K of purchases..

Please add this warning " Hi We are Arlo. Very little actually works, We often put feature on the box, or on our website that dont actually work. We love to get features working, then without notice break them, and then we love to say nothing for months, sometimes years while they dont work.. We find all this a lot of fun here in the office.. We are probably watching you via our cameras while you pull your hair out. We then love to play these clips at out Xmas party and laugh. Thanks four your purchase"

dcfox1
Master
Master

@JJAdV 

As has been said many times viewing 2k or 4k in a browser is a browser issue/restriction depending your device not Arlo. This is an old thread but you should read through it to explain it. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Yes it is browser dependent.  If your a apple person Safari is supposed to still support HEVC. You can still get safari on a pc but at last report Apple was no longer maintaining it.  On PC Edge was until the new Edge came out. Some of the first updaters still can view them in 2K/4K.  EX. My wife's can but I waited on the update and mine wouldn't when I did.  I had to remove the new Edge and run a program from Microsoft to block the new Edge from installing.  We have the same identical PC's and settings.  I won't update Edge until it does support it or Arlo uses a different format.  I'm not attached to my phone like some and want viewing on my PC.  It's a royalties thing Google and Microsoft don't want to pay.  Microsoft did charge for the extension with the original Edge but that won't work in the new one.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Use a codec that works.. I can play 4K VP9 or other codecs.. from flash to this.. it’s not getting better that’s for sure..

or a plan B, create an app.. like Ring.. works well..

mrbisme33
Aspirant
Aspirant

According to the support team, the only officially supported browsers are Safari and Safari iOS. If you're on an older computer, like me, you'll likely not get it working. This seems to stem from the decision to use H.265, which requires hardware support not available on older computers/video cards. @Arlo, might I suggest a fallback H.264 codec for us Windows users?

dcfox1
Master
Master

I can view 2k recordings on my desktop that has a vid card on Edge but not on a  surface tablet without a card obviously. Not sure if 4k is different but others had said they could on edge. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Both work on the old version of Edge but are not supported on the new Edge.  I had to run a program to stop the new Edge Chromium from installing.  Microsoft has said it will no longer support the old Edge after April 2021 I believe it was.  One can install a Android emulator program on the PC and it works but is choppy if you don't have enough speed.  However Microsoft is talking about adding Android to Win 10 in 2021.  That should take care of viewing it.  That or get a new Christmas PC that should be a 7 gen processor and be sure the video card can handle it completely in hardware.  Just Google video cards that can handle HEVC online and you'll find a list.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation