Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Good evening all, was reaching out for some advise.

I’ve been using my Arlo ultra 2 camera setup for about 3 weeks with up and down experiences.

I’ve learned so much along the way as well!

The biggest I can’t seem to resolve is almost all the time when I leave my house and my iPhone switches from WiFi to cellular connection then within 30 minutes or less my Arlo app ‘armed’ mode goes from working to ‘getting information’. Or if I’m getting to work and my iPhone switches from cellular connection to WiFi then the same thing with my Arlo app ‘armed’ mode going to ‘getting connection’.

The way I have been handling it.

Either force close the Arlo app but that only fixes it 1 or 2 times out of 10.

What I normally do it fix it is restart the base station from the app and once and I while I have to use my HomeKit outlet that the basestation is plugged into to turn off power and turn power back on for a cold boot.

Anyone else experience these issues and were able to resolve them?

I want my Arlo system to just work.

Thanks all!!!
27 REPLIES 27
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi James! Thanks for replying.

I listed both the case #’s in my initial post but I understand I was long winded.

Here are the case #’s.

Case # 40979946 opened July 14

Case # 41003617 opened July 27 (executive escalated)

Thank you!
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Good afternoon all.

I’ve had two cases still open with Arlo and no resolution as many are aware.

I have my Arlo Ultra hub connected directly to my Verizon FIOS G1100 router.

One of things I’ve noticed in 2 months of troubleshooting I’ve been performing. When I am running my two cameras on their outdoor AC power cords. And my wife comes and goes from the house with her iPhone that connects to our same home WiFi as the Arlo Ultra cameras then the Arlo system mode goes to ‘getting information’ for the mode instead of ‘armed’ most of the time when she leaves or comes home even though she doesn’t even have the Arlo app on her iPhone.

I do know how to log in locally to the Verizon Fios router and to be safe I set port forwarding for the Arlo base for ports 80, 123, 143 and 443 as some have mentioned on this community to be extra safe.

And I’ve been running my iPhone on just LTE and no WiFi because the Arlo system works the best for me that way. When my iPhone switches from WiFi to LTE that’s a lot of the time when the Arlo system breaks and the mode goes from ‘armed’ to ‘getting information’.

I’ve recently been debating to buy a low cost WiFi router that’s most compatible and to work with Arlo the most easiest and plug it into my FIOS router and leave the Fios router for everything else in my house since nothing else has issues. And dedicate that new WiFi router just to the Arlo Ultra system. Can anyone comment on an economical WiFi router for the Arlo Ultra system? FYI my 2 cameras are just 15 feet away from the router so I don’t need long distance.

Thank you!!!!
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have very good news to share with everyone!!!!

I have fixed the issues as of Sunday night 10pm EST!!!!! After I had another follow-up call with L2 Support on Sunday early evening I followed up with Verizon FIOS for about the sixth time in the last seven weeks. When I spoke with the L2 tech earlier on Sunday night and how I mentioned to him again when my wife's phone disconnects and connects to the home wifi network it causes the Arlo system to stop working. It made me think harder that it has to do something with my home network even though it is super, super basic.

After directly asking the FIOS support more questions on Sunday night about there possibly being some type of built in wifi or router security that I am not aware of or the FIOS techs have not told me about during all my other phone calls and chat. They brought up to me the feature 'Home Network Protection' (HNP). It is Verizon FiOS software that is preloaded and enabled and disabled through their router in our house. It protects wired and wireless devices connected and it was 'on' by default.

This is a link to the Verizon site explaining about it.
Verizon Home Network Protection | Verizon Internet Support

"Home Network Protection (HNP) is a new service on your Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway Router that, will automatically protect all connected devices in your home network, including non-display Internet of Things (IoT) devices (sometimes called 'headless' devices) such as smart thermostats or smart refrigerators."

I have been running for over 36 hours with it disabled and have not had to reboot the Arlo base station even once. I ran on batteries on Sunday night at 830pm EST after I hung up the phone with them and then plugged them back into AC power at 545pm EST yesterday (Monday) and both have been on AC power since and battery the Arlo system is SO THANKFULLY working great!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation