Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Is there a reason the battery icon would flash on and off when plugged into a usb socket rather than through a charger.  Most devices today can plug into any usb outlet to charge.  It may well be charging fine but that's the only time it flashes.

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@LandJS,

Are you using the Arlo Power Adapter. If not, see this article:

https://kb.arlo.com/1152208/What-is-Quick-Charge-and-why-does-my-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-or-Arlo-Go-camer...

Brian

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Thank you for the link, I do have the adapters but was hoping to eliminate a piece.  Now I'm wondering if a regular usb will operate the camera OK since I'm wiring them my understanding is a battery isn't even needed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras without the battery will run on a 5v usb of about 2a or better

it will not charge a battery at 5v cause the battery gets charged to 8.4v

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Thank You

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

confused - so I thought if the cameras work wired, why not just forget the batteries so I plugged them back into the outlet usb's and no flashing batteries this time and they all charged fine.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well I thought things were OK but then the batteries were almost full at the time of my last post.  Now not only do the battery icons flash but the batteries also discharge.  OK so to check it out get out the step ladder and the charger and cable I've been using for 4 months now issue free on all six cameras and same thing.  Stick in an Arlo charger and it's fine.I've been using this for 4 months just fine and faster than my Arlo chargers, it's appearing more like Arlo might have done a software   change to prevent using things not produced by them.  If this is the case it could be the same thing Apple just lost in court.  IF

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

after further research not only does the Ultra run on 5 volt 2 amp, that is also what the power adapter that comes with the cameras for charging is rated at and it works so there is no reason for mine suddenly not to.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation