Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

With Ultra plugged in, spotlight is not on when recording starts

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lklynch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can anyone tell me if this is somehow expected? I just had outlets installed so that I can keep my Arlo Ultra 2 cameras plugged in all of the time. During the day this has worked out great. However, now at night time when recording first starts it is black and white. A few seconds into the recording the spotlight will turn on. Sometimes this even freezes the recording for a second or two.
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lklynch wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this is somehow expected?

It is expected behavior.

When the camera is connected to AC power, the Arlo Foresight feature (also called "pre-roll") is engaged.

The camera is continually capturing video, and when motion is detected it "backs up" a couple of seconds - so the recording starts a few seconds before the motion.  

But at night, the spotlight turns on when the motion is detected.  So the video is using nightvision (infrared red) until the spotlight turns on.  Then the camera shifts to the normal color mode.

lklynch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there a way to turn that feature off? It is ruining any recordings captured at night time. When the spotlight turns on, the recording freezes anywhere from a second to a few seconds.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lklynch wrote:
Is there a way to turn that feature off?

The only way to do that is to turn off power.  If you can put a smart switch on the circuit, you could maybe do that on a schedule.  Note if you do that, the IR ("black and white") segment will be totally missing, the only part you'll have recorded is the part after the transition to color.  In other words, the transition to color will still happen the same way, it just won't be recorded.

Other options are

• turn off color nightvision, then the entire recording at night would be IR ("black and white") with no transition
  • get a floodlight for the area, so that IR nightvision never kicks in

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation