Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

It's frustrating that there is significant lag between the active view through the app for my 2 ultra camera's when compared to my Arlo baby monitor...I have Nest Cam's and only tried out the Arlo Ultra's in 2 other locations...the performance is not what I was expecting. I also cannot understand WHY there is no scrollable timeline of the feed full-time (like Google Nest) instead of JUST having snapshots or recordings to playback...

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @kspenser

May I ask how long this delay is when live streaming with your Ultra cameras?

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo ultra's are garbage, highly spec'd garbage. Mine are just the same.. 10+ second delay in live view with full strength. such a joke of a "security" product. 

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

The Arlo baby monitor-most of the time has a 2-3 second delay when trying to access it. But it is not connected to any hub and it directly connected to my home network. 

The 2 Ultra's however..it's pathetic. The signal strength is good or better and when I try to connect it can be up to 10 seconds before I get to see the live feed. I really feel like this is the Hub's fault. 

CAN I DIRECTLY CONNECT the Ultra's to my network? I have a separate private 2.4Ghz network for devices...I want to remove the hub entirely from the equation. The 2.4Ghz range is better if not the same as the distance I read from the hub when outside. All the hub is doing is creating more interference. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@kspenser  The answer is no. The Ultra's need to connect to the hub. The newer cams such as the Pro4 and Essential cams can connect to your network directly. 

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

Why would a "lesser" model have greater flexibility? What is the point of the hub other than just allow for an SD card to download to directly?? The other cameras CAN connect to the hub but don't have to. SO WHY am I forced to use the hub with an Ultra? Because of 4K? The 4K is nonsense...there is very little difference in quality and I should have known it was just a marketing gimmick. 

I'm really feeling buyer's remorse with these cameras. The ONLY reason I wanted to get them was the HomeKit support HOWEVER they work worse than expected-constant connecting delays-than my Nest Cams and the hub is just adding network congestion by broadcasting a separate 2.4Ghz band throughout my house....

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

hey @ShayneS what do you think about the delays I have???

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do the camera(s) connect faster if brought closer to the base station/SmartHub?

Does the live stream connection time differ over mobile data, wifi, web browser?

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

There is no change in connection to the live feed if I use wi-fi or cellular when trying to access the cameras. The cameras’ lag is not different when being closer to the hub. I had to bring one inside to charge it (which is another issue entirely because I DO NOT get 6 months with battery-optimized settings) and when it was charging I would connect every 20-30 minutes and the behavior is the same...my signal strength in the locations where I installed them is also good and one step below great. The thing that needs to be addressed here is that clearly my Arlo baby camera works better and it’s connected directly to my home network...designing these cameras with the need for a hub is flawed. I have a 2.4 and 5Ghz network already...now I have a new “Arloxxx” 2.4Ghz network just to run 2 cameras. That shouldn’t be necessary. Now it seems from another thread that with the Pro 4’s if you want CVR you have to use the hub??? If that is the case then I’m ready to dump Arlo for good out of complete frustration and perplexity to mode and choices you have designed. 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation