Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Guide
Guide

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

If you are still experiencing this symptom, please make sure that the forwarded ports have been setup on the router.

To check if the forwarded ports from the app are open, you can utilize the below port checkers:

https://portchecker.co
    https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
    https://canyouseeme.org/

If the ports are still closed, the router's firewall or ISP can still be blocking the ports. Please reach out to your ISP or router manufacturer for further assistance. 

• vtmad
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

No, my problem is solved. I had already updated to 5.01 but that did not solve things. I then did an IOS update and that took care of the problem.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

528 REPLIES 528
Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is the root cause?

If that is the root cause, they are ruining they brand and reputation.

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh, yes.

Port forwarding also not working with the windows with your Arlo web potal.

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

I do not think it is a good work around.  it is just something work despite the problem

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same thing, not work when use windows' ARLO web portal.

Tim Cook and Bill Gates, they all made this problem with Arlo?

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am not sure any update from Arlo side?

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please change the name--Videos Not Available on Base Station.

Actually, it is port forwarding stop. The videos can be found in USB.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ElToro54 wrote:

With no solution?

If your router has a VPN server built in, then that will work.  For example, Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers have OpenVPN built in.

No other workaround.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrysky wrote:

I wish this is an IOS issue, but it is same when I use windows Arlo web portal.

Direct access to local storage is only available in the app.  It has never been available from my.arlo.com.

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

That is correct regarding "Direct access to local storage is only available in the app.  It has never been available from my.arlo.com."

Hi everyone, please allow me to correct the issue we are facing: 

1) Direct access to local storagte is only available in app, not web because by no means should Arlo access your home device's storage. If so, it poses huge risk to both Arlo and users from privacy and legal perspective

2) We are talking about access Arlo Cameras and Base Station clips remotely by using port forwarding. 

3) I have set up port forwarding, and port forwarding itself is successful. And you can verify your own port forwarding setup by using below link 

https://www.portchecktool.com/

4) Obviously my port forwarding is set up correctly because I am able to access all cameras remotely. 

5) So what is the issue we are trying to fix? Previously, with port forwarding, I was able to access all cameras linked to base station, as well as acess to video clips saved in Arlo Base Station. Now, I am only able to access all cameras but I am not able to access video saved in Arlo Base Station. 

Hope it clarifies

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dujcym18 wrote:

Previously, with port forwarding, I was able to access all cameras linked to base station, as well as acess to video clips saved in Arlo Base Station. Now, I am only able to access all cameras but I am not able to access video saved in Arlo Base Station. 

Are you using iOS or Android?  This is a known issue with the current iOS app.   Arlo knows about it, but haven't given a fix date.

The only workaround at present is to set up a home VPN server, and use that instead of port forwarding.  Some high-end routers (Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk to give two examples) have OpenVPN built-in.

@dujcym18 wrote:

1) Direct access to local storagte is only available in app, not web because by no means should Arlo access your home device's storage. If so, it poses huge risk to both Arlo and users from privacy and legal perspective

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Whatever the concern, Direct access to local storage is only available in the app, and not the browser.  The recordings are downloaded directly from the base by the app, they are not traversing the Arlo cloud.

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

got it. Thanks

Yes, I am using IOS so it is indeed IOS issue. 

Pauld33
Guide
Guide

Been having this issue for more than a month. What it all boils down to is the iOS app update to 4.14 and now 4.15 somehow broke the port forwarding. I have 2 phones - one that I haven’t updated the software since 4.13, and the other where I have. The phone running 4.13 still works, but the one with the newer versions of the app does not work when away from the local network.

I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting and did it again with the support chat today and even after reinstalling my whole system, still have the issue - it works on 4.13 but not on 4.15. (A side benefit of reinstalling my whole system was that Arlo thinks my cameras are “new” again and now I have another 3 free month trial of their cloud, so at least I will have remote access until hopefully this is fixed.)

I'm am told their “higher level” team is looking into the issue now.

kamranbaig
Tutor
Tutor

I am using IOS and never had a problem with old hub which has been replaced some weeks ago. I could access my camera's and videos any where in UK or outside UK.

This new hub, automatically updated Arlo new version and now I can't access my video clips any where (other than home network). I contacted Arlo and been told there is a problem with Arlo which they are trying to fix and since than I am waiting for this fix.

In my opinion, there isn't any problem with IOS, the real problem is with Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kamranbaig wrote:

In my opinion, there isn't any problem with IOS, the real problem is with Arlo.

The facts are that it

• works using the Android app
  • works with a home VPN using the iOS app
  • fails with port forwarding using the iOS app.

You can draw whatever conclusion you like from the above.  My own conclusion is that there is a problem with the iOS app.

bradu2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guys, me (and also other users here) have tried tons of settings, it's clearly a bug of the iOS app.

What I can suggest to all of you is to open a ticket with Arlo, referring to this discussion. They have answered to me - one month ago!! - that the issue is now known and their technicians are working on this as a first priority.

To be honest, after a month, I think that they are not really working on this issue. I hope that some tech firm (The Verge, Macrumors, Macstories and others) could have a story about this issue, because it's simply shameful. But I'm afraid that this topic is touching a relatively small percentage of users, and so, for Arlo, is simply OK to have this problem still live (indirectly, they are forcing for a subscription plan, as said also in this thread).

sanchst
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Arlo cameras attached to my VMB4540 Base Station. I have been using direct storage access via port forwarding for months but it recently stopped working. The status now shows as Not Available. I can see that the port is available on canyouseeme.org so I don't think it's a problem with my ISP blocking the port.  I have tried to reboot my router and Arlo base station and refreshed my Base Station to a new port and reconfigured my route/gateway with the new port but that still doesn't work. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sanchst wrote:

I have 2 Arlo cameras attached to my VMB4540 Base Station. I have been using direct storage access via port forwarding for months but it recently stopped working. 

This is a known issue with the iOS app.  No idea when Arlo will fix it.

The only work-around I know of (other than buying an Android phone) is setting up a home VPN server.  Some high-end routers have this built in (including Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk routers).

robbyj
Star
Star

@robbyj wrote:

@robbyj wrote:

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the SmartHub
  2. Restarting the Cameras
  3. Formatting the USB drive
  4. Replacing the USB drive
  5. Reinstalling the Arlo Secure App
  6. Checking for firmware updates 

Device Information:
SmartHub Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370

Pro 4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Phone: Iphone 13
App version: 4.14.6 (7472)

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

Bumping, Can I get a reply from an Arlo employee?

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just replaced my flood light with Feit LED smart wifi flood light with camera, it can be local recording and remote access the memory at any time, quite good!

now Arlo is the backup.

Frankly, it is my workaround.

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

won't buy Arlo again. and I have Lorex as well, so now Lorex is the primary, and Arlo backup

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

I think Arlo business model is wrong. If it is trying to be a professional security system, it needs to be recognizesd by insurance industry. As far as I know, Arlo cloud service is not recognized as professional security services in order to get insurance discount

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

professional? I do not think so.

They had business sense rather than public awareness.

chudak
Guide
Guide

I think in last 3-4 weeks Arlo update broke port forwarding 

I check open port from my house router and it is showing as open, but Arlo wrongly shows it as closed.

anybody can confirm?

TIA

Arlo ultra Arlo iPhone iPad 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chudak wrote:

Arlo ultra Arlo iPhone iPad 

It's an issue with iOS app.  Port forwarding still works with Android.

Arlo knows about it, but haven't given any info on when the fix will be available.

Note that using a home VPN server instead of port forwarding does work with iOS.

kamranbaig
Tutor
Tutor

Today, I had a problem with my ring door bell. I couldn't manage to view history away from home (just like Arlo).

I've rang ring and according to them, they updated something from their side and ring door bell started working straightaway.

It's nearly a month now when I've raised a ticket to Arlo and they haven't done anything to sort the problem with the Hub or Software.

Hope I am wrong, Arlo are pushing people to buy Subscription without giving us access to the Video clips (port forwarding).