Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

256 REPLIES 256
bradu2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guys, me (and also other users here) have tried tons of settings, it's clearly a bug of the iOS app.

What I can suggest to all of you is to open a ticket with Arlo, referring to this discussion. They have answered to me - one month ago!! - that the issue is now known and their technicians are working on this as a first priority.

To be honest, after a month, I think that they are not really working on this issue. I hope that some tech firm (The Verge, Macrumors, Macstories and others) could have a story about this issue, because it's simply shameful. But I'm afraid that this topic is touching a relatively small percentage of users, and so, for Arlo, is simply OK to have this problem still live (indirectly, they are forcing for a subscription plan, as said also in this thread).

sanchst
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Arlo cameras attached to my VMB4540 Base Station. I have been using direct storage access via port forwarding for months but it recently stopped working. The status now shows as Not Available. I can see that the port is available on canyouseeme.org so I don't think it's a problem with my ISP blocking the port.  I have tried to reboot my router and Arlo base station and refreshed my Base Station to a new port and reconfigured my route/gateway with the new port but that still doesn't work. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sanchst wrote:

I have 2 Arlo cameras attached to my VMB4540 Base Station. I have been using direct storage access via port forwarding for months but it recently stopped working. 

This is a known issue with the iOS app.  No idea when Arlo will fix it.

The only work-around I know of (other than buying an Android phone) is setting up a home VPN server.  Some high-end routers have this built in (including Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk routers).

robbyj
Star
Star

@robbyj wrote:

@robbyj wrote:

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the SmartHub
  2. Restarting the Cameras
  3. Formatting the USB drive
  4. Replacing the USB drive
  5. Reinstalling the Arlo Secure App
  6. Checking for firmware updates 

Device Information:
SmartHub Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370

Pro 4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Phone: Iphone 13
App version: 4.14.6 (7472)

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

Bumping, Can I get a reply from an Arlo employee?

Henrysky
Star
Star

I just replaced my flood light with Feit LED smart wifi flood light with camera, it can be local recording and remote access the memory at any time, quite good!

now Arlo is the backup.

Frankly, it is my workaround.

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

won't buy Arlo again. and I have Lorex as well, so now Lorex is the primary, and Arlo backup

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

I think Arlo business model is wrong. If it is trying to be a professional security system, it needs to be recognizesd by insurance industry. As far as I know, Arlo cloud service is not recognized as professional security services in order to get insurance discount

Henrysky
Star
Star

professional? I do not think so.

They had business sense rather than public awareness.

chudak
Guide
Guide

I think in last 3-4 weeks Arlo update broke port forwarding 

I check open port from my house router and it is showing as open, but Arlo wrongly shows it as closed.

anybody can confirm?

TIA

Arlo ultra Arlo iPhone iPad 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chudak wrote:

Arlo ultra Arlo iPhone iPad 

It's an issue with iOS app.  Port forwarding still works with Android.

Arlo knows about it, but haven't given any info on when the fix will be available.

Note that using a home VPN server instead of port forwarding does work with iOS.

kamranbaig
Tutor
Tutor

Today, I had a problem with my ring door bell. I couldn't manage to view history away from home (just like Arlo).

I've rang ring and according to them, they updated something from their side and ring door bell started working straightaway.

It's nearly a month now when I've raised a ticket to Arlo and they haven't done anything to sort the problem with the Hub or Software.

Hope I am wrong, Arlo are pushing people to buy Subscription without giving us access to the Video clips (port forwarding). 

Kensob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the ultra 2 camera system that recently stopped allowing me to access the library when I’m away from home.  All of the settings are correct on my modem according to my isp.  Are there any suggestions for what could cause this?  Are there any solutions?

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

shameless

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kensob wrote:

I have the ultra 2 camera system that recently stopped allowing me to access the library when I’m away from home.  All of the settings are correct on my modem according to my isp.  Are there any suggestions for what could cause this? 

This is with direct access to local storage?

Port forwarding isn't working in the iPhone app due to a bug.  Arlo knows about it but hasn't provided any timeline for a fix.  Note the bug only affects iPhones, port forwarding works fine with Android.

@Kensob wrote:

Are there any solutions?

A home VPN will work with iOS.  Some high-end routers (for example Netgear Nighthawks and Orbis) have openVPN built in. If yours doesn't have that feature you'd need to set up a VPN server on your home network.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other workaround.

LiamTay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve been having this issue as well. But as all those have said. This is not going to be a priority for them as they make money from the subscriptions!

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same issue using a VMB4540r2. Have not upgraded to the new update from a  couple of months ago. I noticed the issue early in June 2024 while traveling. My port forwarding status says "not available". Tried refreshing the configuration several times and reset my router to the new internal/external port assigned but status still says "not available". Stored Videos work normally while connected to my home WIFI. Accessing cameras and VMB4540r2 via the iPhone App. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

PS. Not sure how other responder to this issue knows it is an IOS issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FBM wrote:

PS. Not sure how other responder to this issue knows it is an IOS issue?

To be clear, I am saying it is a problem with the iOS app.  Not iOS itself.

The reasoning is simple

• Users here using Android say it works for them.
  • Users with iPhones say it doesn't.

Are you using Android or iOS?

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using IOS. Understand your logic and what you meant. Just curious if you had contact with Arlo support and they verified.

Tried to use their support chat but never received a OTP code to enter into the chat so that was a dead end. Very disappointed with Arlo and their support. Unless you have a subscription with them they don't want to help. We all spent a lot of money on their system for such lousy support. I have 3 cameras and a wired door bell.

Thanks for the reply.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dujcym18 I agree with @Henrysky that this system can't be called professional. And I'd not be surprised if insurers wouldn't offer  discounts. It's too unreliable. Every, literary every, release of firmware and software introduces an issue. It's good for someone that likes tinkering, having their life filled with worry and perpetual testing. These guys are anything but professional. It's embarrassing. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FBM wrote:

Just curious if you had contact with Arlo support and they verified.

I haven't contacted Arlo about it - I use a home VPN, which works with my iPhone.

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

If  everyone in here put a message on Arlo Smart Home on Facebook aboute this problem perhaps they wake up and fix it.

Kensob
Aspirant
Aspirant

How long have they known about this?  You would think that there are many iPhone users that are affected. 

Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here! I also raised another ticket with the same problem ( https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Problema-libreria-locale-SmartHub/m-p/2360409?cid=eml_000131%3Ffr... ). It’s impossible to connect with my iPhone, but if a use another iPhone with my account, it works (and the port forwarding results available). Obviously I tryed to delete and reinstall the app, but it seems that Arlo servers don’t want my MAC address to connect. Italy, Europe. Worst security system and assistance I ever had with an electronic device.

Hope arlo team solve this problem soon…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kensob wrote:

How long have they known about this?  You would think that there are many iPhone users that are affected. 

It was reported in early June, and there are a couple of hundred posts here on the topic.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pagly wrote:

but if a use another iPhone with my account, it works (and the port forwarding results available).

Could you tell us what phone model, what version of iOS and what version of the app is running on that phone???