Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

187 REPLIES 187
lpd688
Tutor
Tutor

As I see in the forums many people suddenly have connectivity issues with their cameras w/ 4.14.5 update.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kamranbaig wrote:

Port-forwarding doesn't work 

Are you using an iphone or ipad?  This is a known issue with the iOS app.

cammerz
Guide
Guide

iPhone. Another user stated Arlo themselves told them you can no longer view locally stored clips off of LAN without paying a subscription

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cammerz wrote:

iPhone. Another user stated Arlo themselves told them you can no longer view locally stored clips off of LAN without paying a subscription

That was misinformation.  Either that user misunderstood, or the support agent was mis-informed.

Port forwarding is just a bug if the iOS app - it works fine with the Android app.  I have a home VPN set up, and I can see local recordings remotely when I enable that VPN.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any chance you're using a VPN? If so, try disabling it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fellowship wrote:

Up until 3 or 4 months ago, I could access my library recording while on my network as they are stored locally on a 128G flash drive.  Now the library always pops up with a "Videos stored on XXX Base Station are not available.  Please check your connection settings." 

Is this happening when you are

• connected to your home wifi?
  • remote?
  • both?

FWIW, this happened to one of my bases once.  Although a PITA, removing the camera(s) and base from the account, doing hardware resets on everything, and adding everything back to the account will likely resolve it.

cammerz
Guide
Guide

Well hopefully they fix it soon, I don’t have a VPN setup

Vshah804
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm using local storage with a USB base station for my Arlo Pro 3. Recently, I've been having issues with the local storage. Sometimes, no events are written to the USB drive, but then it seems to fix itself and starts recording again. However, I can't see those event videos in the app, even though the storage capacity has reduced, indicating that the videos are being recorded. Could you please help?

gbweir
Guide
Guide

Does anybody know if Arlo is going to provide a fix?

nhudon
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

Since I updated my Arlo system to Feed, I cannot access local recordings on my Smarthub remotely.

My Smarthub have a static IP address

Port redirection is activated and also configured on my ISP router

Port redirection state indicates "Not available"

I factory reset all my devices (cameras and Smarthub) without success

I can access local recordings when I'm connect to my Wifi network but not remotely.

Any help would be very appreciated

nhudon
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I also verified if the port is open from the Internet and port is ok.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gonna guess this is on iOS which currently has a known problem with port forwarding to the base. If your router supports a VPN that allows you to access your network remotely, that may be your best solution.

nhudon
Tutor
Tutor

Yes on iOS but was working fine since, I think, I updated my Arlo system to Feed instead of Library.

I don't have any other device to test if the issue is related to iOS

Merak
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have two Iphones with ios 17.5.1.

One with latest Arlo update and one with older app version from 2023. Only the older version supports port forwarding. I hope this will be fixed soon.

Thanks

Erik

Fellowship
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is happening both ways.

Fellowship
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not using a VPN.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@nhudon wrote:

Yes on iOS but was working fine since, I think, I updated my Arlo system to Feed instead of Library.

I don't have any other device to test if the issue is related to iOS

Lots of iPhone users have reported this issue, so definitely a bug in the iOS app.  Not sure if it is linked to "Feed" migration or not.

If your router includes a VPN server (some do, including Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk models), then you could set that up - that does work with the current app on iOS.

arlo4sids
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to configure my system so I can save videos locally.

I have a Patio Floodlight Camera (hardware: FB1001AerH6) (Firmware: 1.080.29.0_34_12a6df4), a wireless doorbell w/ camera (Hardware: AVD2001Aer1.2) (Firmware: 1.8.0.0_4_4a16fed_758744c), and a SmartHub Homebase (Hardware: VMB4540r3) (Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370).

I have a correctly formatted and installed 28Gb thumb drive inserted in the smart hub.

My Arlo app is the feed version (not the library version), so I followed the instructions at https://kb.arlo.com/000062997

To enable Direct Storage Access:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Devices.
  3. Select your Arlo SmartHub.
  4. Tap Storage Settings.
  5. Tap the Record Locally switch to the on position.
  6. Tap Local Storage Settings.
  7. Tap the View Recordings switch to the on position.

All was good until step 7 .... I do not have a View Recordings switch in either the my.arlo.com interface or in the app.

I suspect this is why my system isnt recording anything (right?)

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions on how I can fix this?

long story short... I want to record my video footage locally.

Thanks for the help.

JS

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you post a screenshot of the local storage settings screen you see in the app?

I see this with an VMB5000 smarthub in the iOS app (Feed):

F4EB6ACC-3E0D-49F9-90A4-31CC375EF309.jpeg

zoopy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Port forwarding is still not working. Still unable to access local videos… it’s been since May 31…

RedWineHaze
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am trying to make sure that I can see saved videos from my VMB5000 on my iphone5G.

I opened the menu on my modem and I put in the numbers.

PROTOCOL  > both

internet IP adress > “empty”

internet port number > “numbers in my arlo app”

device > VMB5000

target IP adress > “adress shown in my arlo app”

target port number > “numbers in my arlo app” (same as the internet port nr)

I checked this on “canyouseeme.org” and it was open.

But on my arlo app it still not available.

I checked all the posts on this community website, nothing helped.

Can somebody help me please?

Thank you!

Regards,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The latest iOS app has issues with port forwarding. You can set up a router-based VPN if your router supports one. That will allow your access if you can't wait for an app update.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

The latest iOS app has issues with port forwarding. You can set up a router-based VPN if your router supports one. That will allow your access if you can't wait for an app update.

@RedWineHaze :  You can of course keep your subscription, and only check the local videos when you are home.

Hello132
Aspirant
Aspirant

within the last few days my access to my base station (WMB5000) has suddenly stopped working when I am not on my home network. I have checked that the correct ports are open in my router and the IP address is also correct. Anyone experienced the same? Maybe it has something to do with the latest update?

All other things I have connected to my network which needs open ports works fine.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hello132 wrote:

within the last few days my access to my base station (WMB5000) has suddenly stopped working when I am not on my home network. I have checked that the correct ports are open in my router and the IP address is also correct. Anyone experienced the same? Maybe it has something to do with the latest update?

All other things I have connected to my network which needs open ports works fine.

This is a known issue with iPhones/iPads (but should be working on Android).

If you can switch to a home VPN, then that will work.  Some routers have that service built in (for example Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers)