Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos Not Available on Base Station

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

183 REPLIES 183
bradu2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have done some tests today, and on iOS 17.5.1, installed on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15, ports are seen as closed. 
Then I took a tablet with Android and… ports are open! So it’s definitely a bug on the iOS version. Arlo team, do you read us?

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I logged into my Arlo dashboard from a Mac OS with Safari and Chrome browsers but could not access recordings stored on the base station even though I was connected on the same network.

I also tried a computer with Windows 10 and used the Chrome browser but also could not access the recordings stored on the base station.

I believe this issue affects more than the Arlo iOS app and is likely due to an update on the Arlo base station since Windows and Mac OS installations could not access local recordings stored on the base station, same as the iOS app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@maharrm wrote:

I logged into my Arlo dashboard from a Mac OS with Safari and Chrome browsers but could not access recordings stored on the base station even though I was connected on the same network.

I also tried a computer with Windows 10 and used the Chrome browser but also could not access the recordings stored on the base station.

This part is normal (by design).  Local recordings are not available on my.arlo.com, you can only download them and play them back via the app.  

So this doesn't help in characterizing the problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradu2 wrote:

I also have done some tests today, and on iOS 17.5.1, installed on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15, ports are seen as closed. 
Then I took a tablet with Android and… ports are open! So it’s definitely a bug on the iOS version. 

Agreed.  Whether the ports are open or not depends on your router settings and your internet service provider.  

Since people can remotely access the recordings with Android, it clearly is an iOS/app issue.  

Note if you can deploy a home VPN, that will work on iOS.  Many high end routers have this feature - for example, Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk models have openVPN built in.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oneyellowlab wrote:

On my iPhone 11 running IOS 17.5.1 the port forwarding stopped working.  My husband has an iPhone Xr running IOS 17.5.1 and his port forwarding works. 

That is surprising, as this is the first report I've seen here saying that port forwarding is working on their iPhone.

Is it possible he was accidentally connected to your home wifi when he ran this test? 

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

All APP settings are ok. I have an iPad with an older version of the APP 4.12 (7365) with the same settings and it works on that with internet charing from my cell phone

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@christerlind wrote:

All APP settings are ok. I have an iPad with an older version of the APP 4.12 (7365) with the same settings and it works on that with internet sharing from my cell phone

Can you access the local recordings on the cell phone when you are home (connected to your home wifi)?

What version of iOS is the iPad running? 

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it works on my home wifi also  iPad is running IOS 17.4.1  and my iPhone 12 have IOS 17.5

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@christerlind wrote:

Yes it works on my home wifi also  iPad is running IOS 17.4.1  and my iPhone 12 have IOS 17.5

It's not clear to me (based on posts I've seen) whether the problem is an app incompatibility with iOS 17.5.1, or whether it is simply a bug in the current iOS app (that fails with all versions of iOS).  

Deploying a VPN instead of using port forwarding is the only option right now.  Hopefully Arlo will roll out a fix soon.

Halcomm
Initiate
Initiate

I have just spoke with Arlo. They confirm they have stopped this facility. You can access recordings locally (when at home) but when away you cannot.  " you have to take out the storage device and put it into a pc/laptop to see the recordings"  is what i was told.  

Oh and they gave me a 40% discount for 6 months in case i wish to take out their subscription. So its basically all about getting more money out of us all. The fact i have already spent over £1000 on their camera's means nothing.

Terrible service.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Halcomm wrote:

I have just spoke with Arlo. They confirm they have stopped this facility. You can access recordings locally (when at home) but when away you cannot.  " you have to take out the storage device and put it into a pc/laptop to see the recordings"  is what i was told.  

Direct access to local recordings requires a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub.  The "take out the storage device" is needed for the VMB4000 and VMB4500 hubs, but not the two smarthub models.  

If you have one of the smarthubs, then I believe that Tier 1 support gave you misinformation.  The feature works properly on Android, and on iPhones using a VPN.  I'm tagging the mods ( @BrookeN , @JamesC , @ShayneS ) so they can follow up.

cccs
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for your reply.

I have both asus routers which can do mesh system.

Whether it is the main + repeater mode or mesh mode, they are set up properly.

Actually, it seems it is more likely to be arlo problem. Coz sometimes I can even read both smart hubs's drives from the outside of the network; and sometimes I can only read one even tho I am connected to the same network....

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

A VPN cost a lot of money to have so no alternative for me. Do Arlo know aboute this problem ?  There are now way to get in contact with them only an AL chatt robot wich doesen´t understand 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@christerlind wrote:

A VPN cost a lot of money to have so no alternative for me.

I am talking about a VPN that is hosted in your router, not in the cloud.  I use the OpenVPN that is built into my Orbi router - no subscription is needed.

@christerlind wrote:

Do Arlo know about this problem ?  

Yes.

cammerz
Guide
Guide

I thought this might be the case. After having unacceptable technical issues and poor customer support over two years, I was finally happy with the solution of my camera paired with a hub to access the locally stored clips when I'm away from home. Now they've stopped this and forcing more money out of us, I'm just going to go to a different camera supplier now.

Very disappointing, but not surprising

dyran_1999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this Arlo Ultra since 2020. I don’t have any problem with this until today June 13,2024. 

It just started recently that I can’t see my recorded videos on my arlo app outside network with error “videos stored on smarthub are not available”. I tried to resetup port forwarding arlo with my eero and still ended up port forwarding status unvailable. 

Other troubleshootings that I did were

resetting remotely both Eero and Arlo Smarthub and also reinstalling Arlo App. 

My ISP is Frontier 500/500. My router is Eero pro 6E.

Please help.

Thanks. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a known issue with port forwarding in the iOS app.  So if you are using an iPhone or iPad, then you've run into this.

dyran_1999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am on my iphone. 

Will there be a fix patch for this?

Thanks. 

Henrysky
Star
Star

From June 3rd?

Henrysky
Star
Star

I just wonder if there is any quickly temporary solution to bring people out of security risk? Case like this, actually it is an upgrade failure without any intention? From industry perspective and release management's view, not sure is there any backup plan available? So far,  why not back to the prior version, push out as a temporary solution? Almost all my friends who use Arlo system had the same problem, port forwarding enable---but status is not available. I am in Canada.

I remember the same problem happened at 2022 December, please check my posts at that time period. Now, same problem happens again!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrysky wrote:

I just wonder if there is any quickly temporary solution to bring people out of security risk?

Of course one thing you can do is get a subscription until the problem is resolved.

Is your issue with recording, or accessing the recordings in the app?  There is an issue with the iOS app and port forwarding at the moment - the workaround there is to switch to a home VPN instead.  That does require a router that supports a VPN (for instance Netgear's Orbi and Nighthawk routers).

dyran_1999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update for this issue. 

I am really waiting. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dyran_1999 wrote:

Any update for this issue. 

I am really waiting. 

I don't work for Arlo, and have no idea when they will fix this.

kamranbaig
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today, I received new Arlo Ultra camera and hub. I did mange to connect all the camera's with the hub (cloud and local storage working fine with Home network only).

Port-forwarding doesn't work even I removed all the system couple of time but Arlo Hub doesn't connect with the Virgin Media Super Hub-5?

Fellowship
Aspirant
Aspirant

Up until 3 or 4 months ago, I could access my library recording while on my network as they are stored locally on a 128G flash drive.  Now the library always pops up with a "Videos stored on XXX Base Station are not available.  Please check your connection settings."  I read several articles that say there was a bug a couple of years ago, and it should be fixed now and access local library is only supported on model 4540 and another one.  I do have the 4540 and it worked up until a few months ago.  Several articles said to reboot the hub, and I have many times.  I ejected the flash drive and can see the videos on a computer, so they are recording.