Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rpell
Guide
Guide

I am getting very faint audio on my Ultra camera. The camera has 3 bars connectivity. The base station has been rebooted. Both devices say no firmware upgrade is needed. I have rebooted the base station. The volume is very faint on the camera's speaker (using the mike on the app) and in the other direction (camera microphone to iphone speaker) it is even fainter.

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rpell wrote:

I am getting very faint audio on my Ultra camera. The camera has 3 bars connectivity. The base station has been rebooted. Both devices say no firmware upgrade is needed. I have rebooted the base station. The volume is very faint on the camera's speaker (using the mike on the app) and in the other direction (camera microphone to iphone speaker) it is even fainter.

Is this new behavior (i.e. was the audio louder before)?

Do you have a headset you could test with?

rpell
Guide
Guide

I had not tried the audio before. I bought the cameras before going away on a 6 week trip so I was focused on video performance.

I can try earbuds, but I think there is faint sound both ways, so I'm not sure what the earbuds will tell me. What are you thing of?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rpell wrote:

I can try earbuds, but I think there is faint sound both ways, so I'm not sure what the earbuds will tell me. What are you thing of?

I was thinking of a headset with a microphone - that would let you rule out the microphone/speaker in the phone as a potential cause.

How far away is the camera from the person talking?

I don't use the two-way audio feature myself (I find the lag gets in the way).  But I do hear a reasonable audio level in the recordings.

rpell
Guide
Guide

The camera is about 5 feet away from the person.

The camera is mounted on the front porch ceiling and the base station is on the other side of the front wall of the house on the floor. 3 bars of connectivity.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rpell wrote:

The camera is about 5 feet away from the person.

Certainly close enough that it should get good pickup.  Still, I suggest testing with a headset as the next step.  Also, try making a recording from that position, and talking.  Then listen to the recording to check the volume.

You can set the speaker volume for the camera in the audio settings, but you can't set the microphone level.

Ramesh_Mattam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have five camera kit. I too have the same audio problem. When I called customer support they said it's small camera and small volume...
Mic is OK, I can here better
ez056698
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+. When I speak through the Arlo application on this phone, no sound/low sound comes out of the camera speaker; however, when I use the Arlo application on my wife's iPhone 11 Plus, audio from the camera speaker is clear, and audio received from the camera through the phone is clear.  I have tried all fixes suggested on my phone, hoping it was a microphone malfunction on my phone.  Nothing has worked. Now I wonder if the Arlo application for Android is subpar compared to the iPhone application.

rpell
Guide
Guide

I am using an iphone SE with the latest ios, version 13.3

rpell
Guide
Guide

I made a recording with me standing on the porch and the sound is excellent. The problem seems to be the app.

I have set the speaker volume on the camera to max.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for the headset test. If I stand near the camera and use the app with the headset, I get feedback. What do you have in mind?

Thanks for your help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rpell wrote:

I'm not sure what you have in mind for the headset test. If I stand near the camera and use the app with the headset, I get feedback. What do you have in mind?

That does depend on the headset I guess - some are more directional in the microphone pickup than others.

Perhaps get someone else to stand outside, and you could compare the volume though the phone mic/speaker with the headset. 

This is a known volume issue with Samsung Galaxies and the Pro-2 cameras - and using a headset is a workaround for that.  However, I haven't seen that issue posted on the Ultra.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation