Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra camera motion sensor not working

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
mlb1
Tutor
Tutor

I can't get my motion sensors to work further than 6 ft. I set sensitivity to 100 percent. I also verified it's not working in motion test mode. Any tips? My camera height is around 7ft

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Distance and motion direction seems to be the problem since most motion within range is more or less at the camera rather than across the FOV. Read the FAQ here on best camera positioning. Also, make sure you're setting sensitivity in your modes and rules, not in the motion detection test.

mlb1
Tutor
Tutor
I didn't have this problem with the arlo pro 2 mounted in the exact same location. I am currently using the wide setting not the 180 deg extra wide
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mlb1,

Do you have more than one camera behaving this way?

JamesC

mlb1
Tutor
Tutor
My other (driveway) camera isn't as active as the pro2s but it's not as bad as this one.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mlb1,

You might try swapping the camera that isn't behaving as well with your other camera as a test. This will help isolate the issue to either the camera or the location.

JamesC

chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Detection is not close to the Pro 2.  My ring can detect people in our court.  Pro 2 could also.  Ultra cannot.

Private drive behind my house has cars every once and a while.  Pro 2 could detect it.  Ultra cannot.

JT1504
Tutor
Tutor
Just set this up today and I have same problem! Delay in recording, short area like <10 ft of motion trigger and most of all 20-30 seconds notification on iPhone Xs Max!☹️
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of the camera view. For the notification delay, are you using Arlo Smart? The video has to be uploaded and analyzed before sending the notification. 4K videos are bigger and take longer to upload and possibly analyze.

Pguich
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem. I almost have to walk up to the camera and wave for it to pick up any motion. I removed the camera from the base station and added it again, I restarted the base station, but it doesn’t work. 

I had my Arlo pro working perfectly. Here’s a shot, the camera won’t pick up anything coming in the gate. Only when I get close to those yellow canisters does the motion sensor at 100% pick something up.C73A91D4-B625-451D-99AA-AC847DA029F4.jpeg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your image isn't likely going to be visible till Monday. Post a link to a video or use the Choose File below the text box to add an image.

Pguich
Tutor
Tutor

Here's the picture as attachment. 

ColoArtist
Star
Star

You might try angling the camera up a bit more. On the Ultra the top 1/4 of the image area doesn't respond to motion. You can test it by checking in the camera's settings->Device Utilities-->Camera Positioning. It'll show the inactive area with a dark grey band.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also remember that PIR sensors detect best side to side, not at the camera. The probable usual direction seen from your image seems to be at the camera.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation