Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
pasipple
Tutor
Tutor

Just upgraded my system from Pro 2 to the Ultra over the weekend.  I’ve had the Arlo Door Bell installed on the Pro 2 system since the door bell was launched.  It worked fine.  

However,  I have not been able to connect the door bell (or chime) to the SmartHub.  I tried everything numerous times.  Rebooting the hub, resetting the hub, holding the door bell sync button for 10-secs, etc.  No luck.

Called Arlo tech support the other day and they told me the door bell was not yet compatible with the SmartHub.  They didn’t even offer my any assistance for trouble shooting.

Curious...why I couldn’t find any other posts on either the Ultra or Door Bell threads?  Anyone have similar issues?  Anyone else been told by Tech Support that the door bell is not compatible?  Anyone got the door bell connected to the new hub?

Thanks...

Note: Using SmartHub Model VMB5000 not the VCM4030P as shown on the posting.  Drop down box doesn’t give the VMB5000 option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MORGiON666
Star
Star

New firmware for ultra is live, doorbell now connects and works great!

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69
adammiarka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having the same issue as well.   After about 10 tries, figured the Doorbell is not yet compatible with the Smart Hub.   @JamesC can you confirm this is the case?  And if so, is there a timeline for when the Doorbell will work with the new Smart Hub?

wrathgar
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I purchased the Arlo Ultra 4-pack, connected all cameras and updated to the lastest firmware for today's date (1/17/19). My two Arlo Audio Doorbells won't connect to the Arlo Smarthub. I called tech support and was told simply that the doorbells won't connect to the Smarthub.

Will they be able to connect with another firware update?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Correct. I don't have an exact time frame for this release but doorbell compatibility will be available in a future update.

JamesC

53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same with me. Just received my Arlo Ultra 4-pack, with new doobell and chime. Firmware of Smarthub is up to date. Spent several hours trying to get the doorbell to connect. What a huge dissapointment for a new Arlo customer. How will I know when I can use the doorbell?

pasipple
Tutor
Tutor
Heads up to Arlo. Would have been nice if Arlo would have notified customers on this site that the door bell was not compatible at launch of the Ultras. Then customers like you and me wouldn’t have had to spend numerous hours trouble shooting something that Arlo knew wasn’t going to work! Common sense and decency!.

I’m OK with a notice upfront that an upgrade will happen in the near term.....not OK with hiding the issues to customers prior to purchase.

I have an Arlo Pro 2 system and the door bell works fine. If I would have known that initially the door bell would not work with the Smarthub/Ultras I would have held up my purchase until a later date. Now I have a system with no functioning door bell.. Terrible public relations and customer service.
Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

Is arlo ultra and arlo doorbell compatable?  I have been trying to sync the two devices for over an hour already.  Also I have been on hold with support for about 30 minutes as well.  The application does not seem to find the doorbell when I click add device.  Can anyone help with this?  Or do I have a defective doorbell?  Please help!!! (using smart hub but i didnt see option for post)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently not yet. It will require a firmware update to enable some extra features such as the doorbell.

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

where did you find out this info? or is it just an assumption?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been commented on here - can't remember whether it came from an Arlo employee. Others have tried to pair the doorbell with the Ultra base with no luck but it works fine on older bases.

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

Is anyone useing the Ultra and the Doorbell together?  I purchased both but I cant seem to sync them together.  Do I have a defective doorbell or is it not compatable?  Frustrated and cannot find any info online.  Please help.

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

No word on the firmware update yet?  When I first set up the ulta kit this week it had an update but nothing since.  Wish I could find something online that supports this info for an update. Recking my brain with this issue and support was no help. 

NRH71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nope. Not compatible yet. 

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

is it just a firmware update that should make them sync?  Or do I just return the doorbell because they are introducing something new?

MyOWNAdvocate
Initiate
Initiate

Firmware update down the road is my understanding 

chadwight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here.  Please provide fix, so i can get this installed with my 2 arlo ultras, and move on to more exciting things in my life than working to get a doorbell installed ;).

Thanks

Jdelvalle1
Guide
Guide

I think I was more upset that I wasted so much time trying to find a fix for it and for no info to be on their site. Also 40 minutes on hold with support to speak to someone and that person not to give me any info except a senior support member will call me back! Like wtf just tell me if they are compatible or not! Was pissed off more for the lack of info.

chadwight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I opened a ticket with support, they are supposed to call back "within the day"

Also stumbled across this youtube post from a user with the same issue, but no clarity in resolution there either:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQB0KyVwvI

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello Everyone,

Arlo Ultra & Doorbell compatibility will be coming in a future update. We will announce it here when it's available. Thank you for your patience.

chadwight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Shayne.  I guess I'll just hang on to it, in anticipation of support.  Any thoughts on timing we can look towards (Q12019/Q22019/other)?

Or (not that I necessarily would, but..) would the doorbell and chime work, in sync with the camera, if I deployed an older (non-ultra) version base station, alongside the ultra base station?

Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am helping a friend upgrade his Arlo system from Arlo to Ultra.  we also bought the AAD1001 Arlo Audio Doorbell for the system.  It will not for some reason sync with the system however.  to test it, I brought it back to my house and in 5 minutes had it connected to my Arlo Pro 2 system.  Is this an issue with Arlo Ultra? He has an older Android phone an S7 is it an issue with his phone?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Ultra base firmware is still a work in progress having just been delivered. Right now the doorbell won't work with an Ultra base. I expect a future firmware update will enable this.
Jhalaut
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reading the fine print on the AAD1001 specs i saw designed for, you may want to at least put something out saying at this time it does not work with the Ultra.

Dan11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had the same problem.  The installation tech realized that the boxes of the doorbell and the chime does not mention that it is compatible with the Ultra.  The tech suggested there would be a software update soon, but was not sure when, and the Arlo website provides no information.

Aggie94
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone gotten new smarthub and arlo doorbell to sync?   I am upgrading and doorbell does not seem to recognize the new smarthub and won’t allow me to add...