Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Wildcatnum1
Guide
Guide
I’m new to the security system so my issues maybe user error. The sensitivity isn’t picking up like I want. I’m thinking higher % is more sensitive then lower % but still don’t pick up till objects are very close to camera. Most of the time my daughter is parked and inside the house before I get notified someone is outside. When I’m watching live it’s lagging behind reality. It’s aggravating and seems like it’s defeating the purpose of security and peace of mind. I wouldn’t catch a burglar before they entered our home.
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Notifications can be delayed for many reasons, including battery optimization for the app in the phone settings. Turn off battery optimizations.

Lag may be due to signal strength/quality between the camera and base and/or you upload speeds from your ISP. Use speedtest.net to check your speeds. There will always be a lag since you're viewing video from the servers, not directly from the cameras but should only be 2 seconds or so.  What are your video settings for the camera in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Video Settings?

Also, be sure that you're changing your sensitivity settings in your modes and rules, not the motion test.

Wildcatnum1
Guide
Guide
Signal is stronger then the rest of the cameras ( they all lag the same ). I do have it on optimized to balance out quality and battery life. The battery life sucks too but it’s also because I have sensitivity on 95% on that camera.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wildcatnum1,

It could be an issue with the camera's location. Take a look at this article for tips on positioning for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

Wildcatnum1
Guide
Guide
We had it pointing a lil higher but got the traffic so we moved it down a bit that put the road inthe shadow in the screen. When my husband gets home tonight think we’ll move it back up a lil we might’ve put it down to far. Thank you for your help.
catemp
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why would local streaming run through the arlo server? If that was the case I should be able to do 4k over wifi at another location. Instead we can only do 4k when on the same local network. That leads me to believe it doesn't run through their server and back. The lag we all experience has to do with something else I would think. I could be wrong and would love to hear how it really works.....
Wildcatnum1
Guide
Guide
Here’s the results of the speed test I did. 126.5 mbps download speed. The up load speed is 20.4 mbps.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation