Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jack9001
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,  I have several Ultra & Ultra2 cameras, which need to operate in an area where the internet has become very intermittent and it drops at times for extended periods (it is transmitted via RF and it is susceptible to weather, like snow storms, heavy rains , lightning, etc.).

I can log in the Arlo IOS app and steam from the cameras on the local WiFi network in the moments when the internet is operations and everything is working as expected.

The app continues to stream perfectly, including in 4k, when the internet goes down completely for extended time (30 minutes or longer), until I stop the camera stream.  At that time it says that after which it says the camera is offline.

Obviously the app talks with the hub & cameras on the local network without any internet being present if it is already streaming, but once the streaming stops and it checks there is no internet it prevents the connection.

Please fix the IOS app to work correctly and connect to the cameras/ stream on the local network even when the internet goes down.

Thanks so much!

4 REPLIES 4
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Jack9001,

If you're having problems with local streaming not working properly on your Arlo Ultra and Ultra 2 camera, I would suggest for you to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Jack9001
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Jessica,

Actually the streaming works perfectly on the local network (WiFI), except when the internet goes down,  even as my local network is fully operational and the cameras stay fully connected.

Also, even if the local internet is operational, but your servers cannot be reached for any reasons or they are down that will also prevent the  streaming, which is another potentially dangerous situation.

As I mentioned, the app continues to stream on the local network even when the internet goes down, but once I stop streaming (to do other tasks), then the app blocks access to the cameras and it says that the cameras are offline, which they are not.

Nobody thinks it's a good or safe practice to block  their cameras  (which is their property) from streaming on the local network because it cannot reach your servers.

What happens in an emergency situation (like earthquakes, major storms, power outages, just to name a few) if the local internet stops working?  Or if your servers cannot be reached because something happened in that area? 

Thousands of your customers are in this situation and they just didn't realize yet that they will not be able access their cameras locally if for any reason your servers cannot be reached, including in an emergency case. 

Just one example, as you are aware, California is expecting a large earthquake and there are many drills taking place to prepare and handle the situation and I hope you understand that having the app written to block the cameras from streaming on the local network because the internet is down is not the best or a safe idea.

The answer is very simple, please just don't block the cameras from streaming on the local network when the internet is down or if for any other reason your servers cannot be reached.

Please provide a timeline for fixing the app, 30 days - 60 days?

Thank you so much and I appreciate your help with this!

halatacus01
Star
Star

I agree with you 100%,  I am in the same situation as you. 

I am unable to access my cameras, as the app says they are offline, but they are not.  The CVR feature that I have continues to work when this happens which confirms this. 

There needs to be the ability for the system to function locally without the connection to arlo servers. 

Jessica on this thread reached out to me after I had no response from support. I have been contacted by support since, but unfortunately have not got any further is solving the offline issues.

Jack9001
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, actually thousands of users are in this situation unknowingly because when the internet is working this issue is invisible, but if the internet is not available or the Arlo servers are not reachable for any reason then everyone's cameras will not be accessible locally even if their local network is working perfectly leaving everyone with zero security.

And when will everyone need the security cameras more than in an emergency situation?

Arlo, please fix the app to not block the local access like you are doing.  

I am saving you many millions of dollars from a potentially huge class action lawsuit waiting to happen when everyone will find out that your actions eliminates the security for which your products are  advertised and sold for.

Arlo, be smart and stop blocking the camera feed on the local network if the internet is down!

What's the schedule?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation