Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Irishpub2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an arlo subscription and I also habe access as a friend to another arlo account. When I receive motion detection notifications from the 'friend' account I am sent to my arlo account and cannot view the recording from their account. Does anyone else have this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Irishpub2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

To clarify l, my friend and myself both have similar issues viewing the recordings on our mobile apps. Also, we both use Android phones. Lastly, the arlo subscription pages look different for each of our services. Is this because we have different levels of subscription?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Irishpub2020 wrote:

When I receive motion detection notifications from the 'friend' account I am sent to my arlo account and cannot view the recording from their account. 

Do you see "Library" as a menu option in your account?  Or do you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" instead?

What does the other account show?  

The two accounts need to match - either both showing "Feed" or both showing "Library".

If this is the problem, then the account showing "Library" needs to be migrated to "Feed".  There are a couple of downsides to "Feed".  One is that "Feed" only has 3 modes - you cannot add more custom modes.  Another is that at the moment it is impossible to get geofencing+scheduling completely working.  Once an account migrates to "Feed" it is not possible to revert back to "Library".

The hack to force the migration is to go into "add device" and start to add a Pro 5s camera.  This can't be completed unless you actually have the camera.  But the workflow will migrate you to "Feed" before you get stuck.

Irishpub2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

My account is set to library. Can you explain the difference between library and feed? I like the library setting because I can view my alerts anywhere, not just when I'm connected to my home wifi. I'll check with my friend to see what they have in their app but if I understand correctly, if they have feed set, they cannot switch to library. Is that what you are saying?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Irishpub2020 wrote:

Can you explain the difference between library and feed? 

Arlo decided to create a new user experience early last year.  The original one shows "Library", the new one shows "Feed" (and is also sometimes called "Arlo 4.0").  That has been challenging for them (and all of us), as there have been more problems with "Feed" than Arlo expected.

All new accounts have Feed, and you install the newest cameras (Pro 5s, Essential Gen 2), your account is migrated to "Feed".  Arlo has recently started slowly migrating all users to "Feed".  My understanding is that they are being very cautious on how they are staging that migration.

@Irishpub2020 wrote:

if they have feed set, they cannot switch to library. Is that what you are saying?

Correct.  Once you migrate to "Feed" you cannot go back.

This is not a setting under your control.

@Irishpub2020 wrote:

I like the library setting because I can view my alerts anywhere, not just when I'm connected to my home wifi.

Feed lets you do that as well.

One followup question - do you and your friend both have Arlo Secure Subscriptions?

Irishpub2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes we do.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Irishpub2020 wrote:

Yes we do.

Feed is quite different from Library.  Two important issues:

1. Feed does not have any custom modes.  The three built-in modes can be edited, but you cannot add more.
  2. There is a long-standing problem with combining geofencing+scheduling.  It can't be made to work properly.

So if you or your friends use these features, then you'll either need to give them up, or wait until they are (hopefully) addressed before you proceed with migration.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation