Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a new Arlo Ultra (1st gen) and suddenly (has been fine up till today) I can NOT watch live through my iPhone app on WIFI but if I turn off WiFI cellular is fine however WiFI streams fine on my WIN 11 PC on the web.

Seems the APP on the iPhone is the issue but only using WIFI.  

Steps I have taken:

Assigned static IP to base station (model 5000)

Rebooted base

Power recycled base

Removed and added back everything.

Signal says "strong" (base is less than 25 feet from cam)

When I click on the "PLAY" arrow while on WiFi it immediately returns to the play button but as soon as I turn off WiFI it's streams fine on cellular.

I am a pretty "technical" person so I believe I have tried everything.  Very weird that it only streams live in my house on Cellular but not wi-fi.  WiFI is about 700Mbps/30Mbps so thast isn't an issue.  I also have a different brand video doorbell and that streams live fine as well as everything else I have so connectivity isn't an issue as wi-fi is fine with everything else I have.

Running IOS 16 (and have been for 3 months without issue)

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team was also able to reproduce this issue and is currently investigating the root cause. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

108 REPLIES 108
NYRik
Guide
Guide

About a week ago after updating to iOS 16 (could be coincidence) I noticed my Pro 3 cams wouldn’t play in Arlo app. Removed cams and added them again. Nothing. Turned off 2K and they stream again so somehow, 2K streaming is no longer working when on the same Wi-Fi network.

Richard_V
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue with 2K not streaming!!

MistyB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same problem but only with the Ultra and Pro 4 cams connected to the smart hub. The problem started suddenly before the IOS update and continues after update. I have unplugged, re-added app, rebooted more than once. All other cameras are fine.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

As mentioned about 5 times in this topic “TURN OFF 4k (OR 2K) LOCAL STREAMING.  IT’S A KNOWN ISSUE”

MistyB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ditto to your problem. Should not have to turn off Wi-Fi for cam to work.

WTHArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Calm down Abe… I have never used the community chat before. I didn’t see the fix until someone pointed it out.  I turned it off and it’s working now. Thank you for pointing out I missed it 5 times. I’m not as perfect as you sir. My apologies for making a mistake. On a side note, I should NOT HAVE TO turn off 4K. Arlo’s IT shouldn’t push untested updates. I am not running IOS 16 so they can’t blame Apple. This is their screw up.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

( ˘̀︹˘́ )

If the mods would simply post this “temporary fix” as a “sticky” on the forums and at the top of this topic they would have many less aggravated customers PLUS those who obviously know how to search and are able to find the topic should simply read first it to get the “temporary fix”.   

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

You DO NOT Have to turn off Wi-Fi.  You do have to turn off 2K or 4k LOCAL STREAMING on the problematic cam(s) in your app.  It is a known issue they say they are working on.  

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WTHArlo wrote:

Calm down Abe… I have never used the community chat before. I didn’t see the fix until someone pointed it out.  I turned it off and it’s working now. Thank you for pointing out I missed it 5 times. I’m not as perfect as you sir. My apologies for making a mistake. On a side note, I should NOT HAVE TO turn off 4K. Arlo’s IT shouldn’t push untested updates. I am not running IOS 16 so they can’t blame Apple. This is their screw up.

LOL!  Having a bad day?  Didn't notice the 2 smiley faces?  You're welcome, apology accepted and some day you might be as perfect as me!  👅 The "5 times" comment was in response to and AFTER the next 2 folks after you with the same issue who rather than reading just complained.  Shouldn't take things too personally, it's bad for the blood pressure!  Apple?  Nothing to do with Apple.  Probably the last firmware update to the hub.  I've had IOS 16 for over 4 months and everything was fine until a few days ago.  Of course you shouldn't  have to turn off 4K any more than the NASA's Artemis 1 spacecraft shouldn't have sprung hydrogen leaks and I shouldn't have had to drive 2 hours to watch it at $3.50 a gallon gas!!! .  Technology marches on and broken stuff eventually gets fixed.  Have patience grasshopper!  © circa 1972 Kung Fu TV series 

TBaker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can not live stream a camera in 4k after updating my iPhone to either IOS 15.7, or IOS 16. My Pro 4 cameras work fine since they are not 4k. 

As a work around I have disabled 4k live stream until it is resolved 

DeanDamron
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.  I am having the same problem.   It started happening recently.  Cannot live stream camera feeds to app on iphone.  I have rebooted base, pulled batteries out of cameras, re-booted my router / modem and no luck.   As mentioned on this thread, if I disable wifi on my phone and use data, the live feeds work.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Turn off 4k (or 2K) local streaming on your camera settings and it will work again  at 1080.    It’s a known issue and they say “they are working on it. “

E3ABD23B-AB23-423D-A2B0-57F7610CCB74.jpeg

blancour
Guide
Guide

+1

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Had to turn OFF Local 2k live view option, it doesn’t seem to work any longer. Can only stream local view in HD, don’t believe iOS 16 caused it, I had problem with iOS 15.7 as well.

DeanDamron
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Abe.  Sorry I should have edited my post.  I saw the solution right after I posted this.   Thanks again.

ploughguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a couple of Pro 4s connected by a VMB4000 hub.

When I am at home (on the lan with the base station,) I can see live video in the Arlo Secure app if Local 2k is not selected, but if I select Local 2k then tap the Play icon on the camera in Devices, I see “Connecting” flash up for an instant, then nothing and the play icon remains a triangle - it does not attempt to play.

Any thoughts on why this is so? 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Russ

Rain575
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the very same thing. Cameras will not stream in 2K on wifi.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ploughguy wrote:

When I am at home (on the lan with the base station,) I can see live video in the Arlo Secure app if Local 2k is not selected, but if I select Local 2k then tap the Play icon on the camera in Devices, I see “Connecting” flash up for an instant, then nothing and the play icon remains a triangle - it does not attempt to play.

Any thoughts on why this is so? 

It's a bug - Arlo is investigating.

ploughguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen Superuser,

Thanks for your response.  And my response to your response is:

A bug? A BUG? But this is Arlo! How can there be a bug?

<Slap!>

Thanks for that.  I wrote a program with a bug in it myself, once.  It was back around ‘83. So I understand how it can happen…

I will patiently await resolution.

Russ

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ploughguy wrote:

Stephen Superuser,

Thanks for your response.  And my response to your response is:

A bug? A BUG? But this is Arlo! How can there be a bug?

<Slap!>

Thanks for that.  I wrote a program with a bug in it myself, once.  It was back around ‘83. So I understand how it can happen…

I will patiently await resolution.

Russ

@ploughguy 

If you haven't found it yet: 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Inability-to-stream-2K-4K-when-connected-to-local-WiFi/m-p/... 

It's only a workaround but will get you streaming again (at 1080 not 2K or 4k) and is also mentioned in about 14 other posts in this thread as well as 2 other threads on here somewhere. .  If you have Android do the same but the app is obviously different.  

Nanookie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Similar issue, for me, it started with the new firmware release last week. 1.19xxx (last version) was ok, 1.20xx upgrade became the issue.

Digbydog7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello I had the exact same problem on iPhone 12....did all the things noted above including support...no luck....finally followed GraigArlo's suggestion and turned of the 2k live streaming option...now the phone live streams via wifi etc......unbelievable hassle sorting out over several days....thanks GraigArlo.....:). Yes it seems like it's useless to have this function if it doesn't work but at least the app is working now.

fenton11
Guide
Guide

I have this issue with my Arlo pro3s when I try to livestream in 2k on the local network. If I turn the 2 k off then it streams. Please fix. 

Firecap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same with 3 Ultras. Started recently. If I off-on my iPhone it will give me one livestream and then disable the livestream play. Why one livestream who knows, but it happens whether the cameras are armed or not.

MisterEdF
Guide
Guide

@Firecap wrote:

Same with 3 Ultras. Started recently. If I off-on my iPhone it will give me one livestream and then disable the livestream play. Why one livestream who knows, but it happens whether the cameras are armed or not.

If you read this entire thread there are at least 15 separate messages explaining the workaround so you can at least be able stream again until Arlo finally decides to fix it.