Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Jackmags
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased an Arlo ultra camera system from Costco and can’t find anywhere to activate my 1 year subscription. The only option I see is a free one month subscription when I try to activate it. Do I need a promo code? This is the first Arlo device and account that I have used.
27 REPLIES 27
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't need a promo code.  

Costco also sells the Pro 2 cameras, which do have the 1 month trial.  Are you sure you ended up with the Ultra (which I think they sell in a 5-pack).

Jackmags
Tutor
Tutor
It’s definitely the 5 camera system. It says it comes with a one year trial offer
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe use support:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

If you don't get a good resolution from them, then post back here and we can ask the mods to escalate it for you.

Highway444
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here.... I purchased the VMS5540C (Costco 5 Cam System) and I can’t figure out how to start my Free 1st year plan. Why can’t these sort of things ever go smoothly. 🙄
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

When you add the SmartHub from an Ultra kit to your account, the free 1 year plan will automatically be applied as long as there is no plan currently active and the kit is set up in the same country in which it was purchased. No code or further steps need to be taken.

JamesC

Jackmags
Tutor
Tutor
I bought the ultra kit in the USA and am using it the USA. I have never had an Arlo account before so there can not be any other plans active and the year subscription was not automatically added so I do need to take further action.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jackmags,

I've opened and escalated a support ticket for this issue. Please allow 24-48 hours for an agent to reach out to you with more information.

JamesC

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

FWIW, it took about 24 hours after I installed my camera for my Premier service to be activated.

24 hours after setting everything up, I got a notification, in-app, that told me the service was active.  I didn't have to sign up or do anything else (other than a standard Arlo account).

-Rob

jugs
Guide
Guide

Were you and the others facing this issue of not getting the 1-yr free Arlo Smart Premier service ever able to get this resolved?  I recently purchased the Arlo Ultra 5-camera kit from Costco and installed this weekend, however I am not able to figure out how to get the advertised 1-yr free service plan.  I am only seeing the 1-month trial of the Premier plan.  From my research online, this appears to be an issue for a lot of people.  I was not expecting this level of frustration as I expected Arlo to have this all figured out and trusted that Costco had vetted it out as part of carrying the product.  There are absolutely no instructions included with how to obtain the 1-yr free service plan.  I sat on hold with Arlo Customer Service and eventually gave up and submitted an online support case.  We'll see how this goes.  Not a happy customer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jugs,

The free 1 year Arlo Smart Premier subscription plan should automatically be applied to your account when you claim the SmartHub from your Arlo Ultra kit. Please let me know if you are unable to resolve this issue via your open support case and I will escalate as necessary.

JamesC

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

This is how it happened to me.

Folks may be having a problem if they are joining Ultra cameras to an existing Hub?  Not sure.

jugs
Guide
Guide

The 1 year plan is not "automatically" being applied to my account when I claim the SmartHub.  I setup the Base, connected the Cameras, then went into the subscription plan and there is only a "1-mth" plan for Premier.  I have not yet heard back from online support.  Planning to try phone call again.

jugs
Guide
Guide

I am not joining an existing Hub.  This is my first Arlo product and I never had an Arlo account before.  Not sure why this is so difficult.  Arlo advertises a free 1-year Arlo Smart Premier plan subscription with the purchase of the Arlo Ultra system, but there is no clear way of obtaining such free 1-yr plan.  Some comments said to disconnect all cameras and hub and start all over - I did that too.  I still only see 1-mth free  Premier trial plan.

jugs
Guide
Guide

So, I called Arlo Support...was transferred twice saying we'll need to connect you with the "concerned department".  Eventually, I'm told that I need to sign up for the plan, provide my credit card info and then I will be subsequently provided a refund for the first 12 months.  How ridiculous!  This is not a good customer experience for a brand new Arlo customer purchasing their flagship/premium product which advertises an included 1-yr free subscription plan.

cinabar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had the basic plan with 2 pro cameras. Bought a 2 Camera Ultra kit and installed it. Installed the smart hub and I have no indication of how to get the free year of service. I do see a way to put my credit card in to get the smart service for a year but nothing about a FREE year of service. My cameras work but record nothing. My old pro cameras still record for 1 week. How do I get the 1 year free service?

Island21
Initiate
Initiate

HI there

I am also struggling to activate my free year plan.. having no luck with the "chat" support line

any advice?

regards 

clive

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cinabar,

I've escalated this issue, an agent will reach out to you with more information soon.

Island21,

Where did you purchase the kit and what country are you trying to set up in? Not all countries have subscription plans available.

JamesC

ShaneTGoHERD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

I am also having a similar issue.  Bought the 5 camera ultra system from Costco and not seeing a way to activate the free 1 year subscription.  We leave on vacation tomorrow evening for a week and really wanted this system to be working properly.  

Thanks, 
Shane

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ShaneTGoHERD,

I've opened and escalated a ticket for the issue you're experiencing.  An agent will reach out to you shortly.

JamesC

dave94044
Aspirant
Aspirant

does not automatically show up. we were told to select 30 days free trial then "someone" will change the plant to 1year, supposedly... hope they don't lie.

Magpie_NZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good evening, I too have in the past couple of weeks purchased a 3 + 1 Arlo Ultra system and cannot activate  the 1 year free ultra plan ( or any recording for that matter).  I started by adding the smart hub and then the  4 cameras but still no account showing.  What am I doing wrong.  Thanks

rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

My issue is similar, but it's not explained at all in the documentation that came with the kit.

I bought and installed an Arlo video doorbell yesterday. it did register it's free month or however long it is for it's trial.

Today I bought and installed the Ultra 4 camera system (both systems bought from Best Buy) - I have added the base unit and all 4 cameras, which appear to be working correctly, but I can't find anyway to activate their free year subscription.. Is that because there is already a trial on my "account" for the doorbell? If so, that's crazy - why can't the trial run together somehow - that's why I bought both systems from the same company, so it would only be one app, etc.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Magpie_NZ, rctoyguy

I've opened and escalated cases on the issue you are reporting. An agent should be reaching out to you with an update soon.

JamesC

jugs
Guide
Guide

Good luck.  I've been dealing with this issue since I first installed my Arlo Ultra system on Dec. 9, 2019.  After several calls to Support, I was finally told to enroll in the 1-mth free trial plan and that I would receive a credit/refund on my account for the subsequent 11-mths so I see no charges a full 12-mth period.  So, 1 month later, I receive an email statement from Arlo on Jan. 9, 2020 reflecting that I was being charged $9.99 for the period Jan. 9, 2020 to Feb. 8, 2020.  So, I had to get back on the phone with Arlo Support on Jan. 10, 2020 and was informed that my case was being escalated to the "concerned department" and that someone will be giving me a call back shortly (same day).  However, that never happened.  So, I called Support again on Jan. 11, 2020 and was informed that my case has been escalated to the Credit department and I was assured that even though I had received the email statement reflecting the $9.99 charge, it would have a credit applied on the back-end and that my credit card will not be charged.  Sure!?!  So, I wait a few days.  Last night (Jan. 14, 2020) I checked my credit card account and what do you know, I see a $9.99 charged with a transaction posting date of Jan. 11, 2020.  Although I think Arlo has a decent product, the customer experience has been nothing short of frustrating.  I have since sent an online reply related to my case so that I have some documentation/record, as I really can't trust the verbal conversations with the Support team via phone.  I really hope someone at Arlo can resolve this issue not only for me, but the many others that seem to be experiencing the same thing with not being able to obtain the advertised 12-mth free Premiere plan.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation