Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is Arlo Ultra buffer recording AKA "look back" gone?

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Arlo618
Star
Star

Hi all - 

I just noticed that the videos from my permanently plugged in Arlo Ultra do not have the look back buffer.  All triggered recordings start at the point where the object enters the frame, no 3 seconds of buffer period.   Has there been a change in this feature recently?  Or is everyone's plugged in Ultras still recording 3 seconds of buffer video as expected? 

Referencing this KB article for info: https://kb.arlo.com/000062053/How-does-the-Look-Back-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-camera

16 REPLIES 16
K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just looked my library and my cameras are still showing the 3sec look back. I have Ultra cameras. The way I can tell is that (for example) the recording shows a car as the trigger.. my video starts before the car even shows.

I also checked on audio triggers and it the video shows the recording starts before the audio trigger.

hope this helps

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo618,

No changes have been made to this feature for Arlo Ultra. Try rebooting your SmartHub and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello, I've had Ultra for over a year and was not aware of Lookback feature you refer to. Is that an actual advertised feature? Thanks
K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

The way it works is that your cameras are recording before they get triggered to record. So If you run your cameras plugged into power you have the ability to see the extra 3 seconds ahead of the trigger. This only works with the cameras plugged in.

I live on a busy street, so I have a lot of recordings of cars driving by.

When you look in your library, the thumb nail is what you will see in the recordings as the start of the recording. With look back I see 3 seconds before the thumb nail. So what I see is 3 seconds before the car driving by  triggers my cameras to record.

Arlo618
Star
Star

Thanks James - i did that as part of my trouble shooting and did not notice a difference.  Videos still start with the object entering the frame, no 3 second pre-buffer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HazzMatt,

You can find more information on this feature here: Why does my Arlo camera start recording video before the trigger event happens?

Arlo618,

Is your camera plugged in with a solar panel or are you using the AC adapter and power cable that came with your Arlo Ultra kit? Note that a solar panel will not provide enough charge to enable this feature.

JamesC

K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you look at your thumb nails in your library, is that the start of your video? Or do you see any recording prior to that thumb nail?

Arlo618
Star
Star

Yes, it's plugged into an outlet, not a solar panel. I will connect a wall charger and do a test at another property that has also been set up with Ultra cameras.   

Arlo618
Star
Star

Video starts only when object is already in the frame, probably a second into it entering the frame.  Same as thumbnail.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo618,

Could you provide a video clip showing what you're describing so we can better understand if there is an issue?

JamesC

Arlo618
Star
Star

Confirming that there is no Arlo Ultra buffer time on another system that is under my account but at a different physical location. 

I tested with charging cable that came with the kit and with an aftermarket one.  Arlo Pro 2s that are on the same network connected to the same Hub seem to be working as expected - there is a buffer time before the motion starts and/or object enters the frame. Arlo Utlra videos start with the object in the frame, no buffer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo618,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Arlo618
Star
Star

Here is a video sample: https://youtu.be/KdcWWoCReS4

K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is that your video quality? Looks terrible.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi did you fix this my Arlo pro 3's have the same issue?
K9trainer
Aspirant
Aspirant

There wasn’t a  fix, it just started working

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation