Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since the last Arlo update, the geofencing stopped working like it should and only arms the cameras if I open the Arlo app while I’m away or if the app is already running in the background. This is defeating the purpose of geofencing. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

rjmcinnes,

Check to make sure you've updated your iPhone to the latest version of iOS. Do you still experience the same issue?

JamesC

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app must be at least running in the background to be able to respond to location changes so don't log out. That's how GF works - the phone determines the location and the app uses that location to cause changes.

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don’t log out but I never had to start the app for it to know when I’ve left the area. I’ve had the system for over a year so I know how it works and this is something that has definitely changed. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RafS wrote:

I never had to start the app for it to know when I’ve left the area

Then the app was running in the background before.  Otherwise geofencing wouldn't work.

Check the phone settings to make sure that it still is running in the background.

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

The app doesn’t have to be running in the background, it never did. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In order for the app to provide notifications, it HAS to be running, at least in the background. If the app isn't running, how would it be able to respond to changes?

Gklempner
Tutor
Tutor
Mine is doing the same thing since last update. I have also had mine for over a year and never had these issues. These guys responding are not understanding our issue. I always close my apps after every use. Just a habit I guess. This has never been an issue. Obviously there is still some communication between the app and OS even when it’s closed. I also read in another forum that the devs are aware and actively working on an issue. Hopefully they resolve soon.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gklempner wrote:
 I always close my apps after every use. Just a habit I guess.

Closing the app doesn't mean it stops running in the background.  There are settings in both iOS and Android that control what runs in the background and what doesn't.  What you need to do next is take a look at those settings, and make sure nothing has changed them.

@Gklempner wrote:
 Obviously there is still some communication between the app and OS even when it’s closed. 

Which again only can happen if the app is running (though closed).

@Gklempner wrote:
I also read in another forum that the devs are aware and actively working on an issue. Hopefully they resolve soon.

There have been some issues with geofencing that are being worked on.  But those appear different from what is posted here (as they occur even when the app is open, which does not appear to be the case in these reports).

Gklempner
Tutor
Tutor
We are going in circles here. Yes I know what you are taking about. And so does the OP. We are just using different terminology. I called them after my post and they are admitting there is an issue. They are working to fix it.
Gklempner
Tutor
Tutor
Hope this explains. The app is configured properly in iOS. Yet it still is having issues. Just hope they fix ASAP!
6CDDA863-DB1D-49CC-B37B-C8C4FA7EA5BF.png
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gklempner wrote:
Hope this explains. The app is configured properly in iOS. Yet it still is having issues. Just hope they fix ASAP!

Yes, these are the correct settings in iOS.  As you probably know, low power mode is another aspect - if you enable low power mode, iOS will pause background apps.  I haven't tested this, but it likely will disrupt geofencing.

And to be really clear:

1. Are you finding that geofencing works correctly when you have the app open, but does not work when the app is closed? 
  2. Or are you finding that it fails in both cases?
RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

The weird part is, the Geofencing works fine when the phone is restarted, and absolutely no apps are running in the background since I close them before I do the restart, but as soon as I open the app, and then close it, as a habit as well, it once again fails to recognize when I leave the area to arm the system.  Geofencing never needed the app to be running in the background for it to work, it has location access set to ALWAYS allow, Geofencing IN/OUT notifications are ON, and like I said, it works like it was designed after a full restart of the phone. 

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did a test yesterday by turning off iCloud Private Relay in the Cellular Data Options and that seems to have fixed the issue.  It's only been one day so I haven't tested it long term, but it did disarm and system when I came home, with the app closed and swiped away, and armed the system this morning when I left for work, with the app closed as well.  I'll keep the iCloud Private Relay off for a week and keep testing and then I'll turn it back on and see if it goes back to now working. 

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Turning off iCould Private Relay in cellular section does NOT solve this issue.  Thought I had it figured out but the issue is back this morning and the system did not arm upon leaving for work this morning 😕.  Arlo, please figure this out..

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi RafS,

If your Geofencing is not working properly, try looking at this article for troubleshooting steps you can take to improve performance for Geofencing: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working?

If you're still having problems, navigate to Settings > Support in the Arlo App for service options available to you.

RafS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Jessica,

I have tried all of those and all the settings are correct.  There was a new iOS update a week ago and everything was working fine after the update and then a new Arlo app update came out shortly after, and sure enough, geofencing is broken once again.  I thought maybe deleting the app and reinstalling it would fix the issue but that did absolutely nothing.  I actually had someone tried to break into my place last week so it's important that this feature works and like I stated previously, I've had this system for over a year at this point and the geofencing issue just started being a problem within the last couple months.  Sometimes restarting the phone would resolve this for a day or two but after the last Arlo update, nothing is working and geofencing will not arm the system unless I open the app or it's already running because I just checked on something within the app.

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Me too…
GeoFencing stopped working this week, after running perfectly for several years.
All settings on iPhone are good.
Am frustrated. A great feature no longer works, sad.
Have resorted to manually Arm when I leave and Resume Schedule on return.
Need a fix urgently, please
Robert.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rjmcinnes,

Check to make sure you've updated your iPhone to the latest version of iOS. Do you still experience the same issue?

JamesC

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

Great to make contact with you again, it has been several years since our last exchange.  Our Arlo kit has been working very well for almost three years now.

I upgraded my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 15.3 this morning, and I will certainly let you know if proper GeoFencing functionality is restored.

I do keep my iPhone iOS up to date (automatic over night), but noticed there was a new version, when I prompted the update this morning.

Robert.

rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

Thank you, the iPhone upgrade to iOS 15.3 did the trick...

All back to normal.

Robert.

Julmo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is this still fixed? I’ve been in contact with Arlo since April last year, in the last few months they have just admitted they have a fault (after gas lighting me and getting me to do hours of repetitive ‘trouble shooting’, I’m sure it used to work ok but about 12-18 months ago it stopped. I thought it was linked to the low power mode issue; but went for a walk in the afternoon the other day - it armed but then didn’t disarm when I returned home. My phone had not gone into low power mode. Arlo also blamed it on Apple and stupidly told me to contact them - but at that point I had removed my iPhone from the device list and had only my husbands android as the device. It did not work; it did not arm or disarm with his phone (worked for a day or two and then started doing the same thing as the iPhone did).
It’s such a useless system & Arlo gas lighting has just been so frustrating
rjmcinnes
Apprentice
Apprentice
Julmo,
Yes, thankfully, I upgrade my iPhone to iOS 15.3, as suggested by Arlo, and proper operation was restored.
More recently, I upgraded to iOS 15.4 and everything is OK.

Robert.
Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation