Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
W__R
Guide
Guide

Not seeing this feature being promoted with the details on the Arlo Ultra. 
Is it not available for the Ultra?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

All users of Arlo Ultra can stream 4k content without a subscription. You can use 4K by local live streaming or recording 4k motion content onto a microSD card when inserted into an Arlo SmartHub. You can also purchase an add on service to store 4K, motion-activated clips to the Arlo Cloud for easy access anywhere your mobile app has a data connection.

For more information on recording in 4K, take a look here: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not released yet, unknown... tho I think they will offers but not at highest rez of 4k ( that may be a paid option )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@TomMac wrote:

Not released yet, unknown... tho I think they will offers but not at highest rez of 4k ( that may be a paid option )

I wonder how much bandwidth  and storage will 4K need too. 😮

ant
Mentor
Mentor

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArloSmartHome/videos has a bunch of new videos from CES 2019.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

All users of Arlo Ultra can stream 4k content without a subscription. You can use 4K by local live streaming or recording 4k motion content onto a microSD card when inserted into an Arlo SmartHub. You can also purchase an add on service to store 4K, motion-activated clips to the Arlo Cloud for easy access anywhere your mobile app has a data connection.

For more information on recording in 4K, take a look here: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

SteveDoes
Guide
Guide

So in other words, it does not come with free cloud storage. You'll need a subscription if you want to view clips from a mobile device. 

Wolj
Star
Star

My understanding is that the Ultra gives you 7 days free (as with all Arlo cameras)- but not in the 4K. You can stream and watch in lower res- but you can record 4K to your SD card in the base station. It would be nuts for them not to this. It is the key reason I went with Arlo not Ring in the first place. Frankly I'm glad I did- I love my Arlo Pro 2's and will be upgrading to the Ultra (7 days included). The price is high, but I feel worth the investment. If anyone at Arlo can confirm the question if I have this correct with a simple yes or no it would be good. If I've got it wrong, please clarify the facts. if Im right, I will be preordering ASAP.

Wolj
Star
Star

So, with a little help from a search engine- I now find this:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2018/ARLO-ULTRA.aspx

The last sentence is all that is required. Sadly, I would have thought that an included 24 hour cloud access facility of (perhaps ower res) recordings would have been a great option. Just enough to review footage of events missed while you are in a movie or on a flight. At least then you know to access your SD card or down load lower res footage to your device. Please Arlo, consider this- my opinion is you would increase your market share dramitcally.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

It appears to me that he Ultra Kits come with a one year subscription as part of the kit.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/ArloUltra/Arlo_Ultra_Family_DS_16Nov18.pdf

I have not been able to find any information about subscription requirements for recording video in resolutions lower than 4K, if possible.

Wolj
Star
Star

Yes AncientGreek- the one year comes with it as an included --"free" thing". I intially looked at the Ring as my first choice, then I saw that it was a suscription based cloud. Hence I then changed and electected to use the Alro Pro 2. Cerainly a good unit. Needs to have a quicker app and the delay in the 2 way communtication makes it unusable. However as far as the Ultra goes, I would upgrade in a heartbeat to a more superior Arlo. But I DO NOT want a paid subscription.  If as a compromise they gave you a free 24 hour cloud (even lower res), it would be deal maker. You would to be able to know you have had an event, review and download any footage in low res or if you wanted the higher res, you could access your SD card. However, having a paid service for me, is a deal breaker. Certainly when you are paying for an expensive product in the catagory.  If the current free cloud storage is causing and issue, perhaps they should reduce the period to ...say 3 days- an ample time period to work out if you need to download any footage. That reduces the current volume of data by around 40%... just a postive marketing suggestion.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

It really is just a pricing issue.  Cloud recording obviously costs something, so that cost factors into the overall P&L.  If offering 7-Days free, results in more system sales than requiring a subscription, there is a quantifiable ROI on offering the system at a price point that both covers the cost of the “free” plan and incentivizes those additional sales.  It is just math and marketing.  Of course, different leaders (CEOs & CMOs) have different ideas and competency, so they take different paths.  Sears was once the definition of a catalog sales company, yet their leadership in the 1990s could not see the potential of the Internet and the parallels to the catalog industry they so successfully exploited.

williams_19
Star
Star

This comment still confuses me and not sure I fully understand. So to clarify, the ultra without a subscrition will allow you to stream on your mobile device live video where ever you are, but you will only have playback if you store videos locally on your base? The only way to have playback on your mobile device will be to pay for one of the subscription plans? 

If someone could clarify this for me that would be great. I was about to purchase the Arlo pro 2 and seen these new cameras were being released. I like the option of better video, but I am not willing to pay monthly fees ever and I must have at least 3 days video playback incase I dont have access to my phone when the cameras are picking up motion to make sure im not missing anything important. Super dissapointed in Arlo if they have taken the 7 day free storage away even at a lower resolution as this is crucial to seeing what your camera is picking up and will be taking my business elsewhere if this is true. Unfortunately as I was even considering the arlo security system when it is released to go with it, but will likely just stick with the nest security system

1977SS
Guide
Guide
Arlo Ultra also includes 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier service and rolling 30-day cloud recording, after one year if you don’t want to pay the extra to have 30 days free it will give you 7 days free as the pro 2.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

That would be nice.  Do you have a link to that?

1977SS
Guide
Guide
I spoke to the tecnical support on phone.. you can ring them and have the all you need.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After one year, you will need to have a subscription plan for Arlo Ultra for cloud recordings. For more information, take a look here: What options will I have when the Arlo Smart Premier 1-year service plan ends?

JamesC

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Thank you, James.

So it is definitive as of now that there is no free recording for Ultra once the 1yr free subscription has elapsed.

1977SS
Guide
Guide
After 1 year free recording you will have 7 days free only if you want to pay the extra to keep it 30 days.
Wolj
Star
Star

Great find James- appreciate that.

The Pro 2 is a pretty good camera- apart from the lag which makes 2 way communication impossible, and that it seems to take a long time to activate the system when you open the phone based app. As I stated earlier, I would upgrade in a heart beat even if there was 24 hour cloud. In fact the point of lag, means that if you get a notification, then open the app by the time it activates to vision the event is over. A super short compromise of 24 hour cloud would eleviate that. As a great supporter of the concept, I will not buy a suscrpition when the unit is a premium product. Perhaps Arlo could consider a low res cloud 24 hour recall. It would mean that if there is an event, you can at least see what happened rather than have to keep checking on a USB stick from the base station incase you miss something. Please consider Arlo.

At the moment however, I must close with "Well ain't that a shame."

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@1977SS wrote:
After 1 year free recording you will have 7 days free only if you want to pay the extra to keep it 30 days.

Not according to above link posted by James, seems pretty clear.... cloud storage is only available with a paid plan, no free plans.

dan801
Star
Star

dan801
Star
Star
@1977SS wrote:

Please stop spreading wrong information. That’s the third time you have written this now and it’s not correct. There is no free 7 day recordings after the free plan expires. Same goes for new users to the service. There is no longer a free plan unless you currently on a free plan already and don’t upgrade to Ultra
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I believe 1977SS intended to be funny with the last post, but it was hard to tell for sure.  A lot is lost in text that would be readily apparent in real life.

rockers96
Initiate
Initiate

I contacted their chat support twice to confirm this, as mentioned on their site as well... unfortunately no more 7 days free cloud storage for the ultra so I have to cancel my best buy order and will look for alternatives. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

There is an awful lot of back and forth going on here and maybe in a year I'll know for sure but I can tell you that when I ativated my one year free 30 storage in specifically stated that at the end on one year I would revert to the 7 day free storage unless I chose to keep 30 day for $10 per month