Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JArloOfFlies
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I want to be able to daisy chain multiple solar panels (VMA5600) to one camera in places where i might not have enough sunlight to keep the camera charged. Can you do that? 

So if you have a magnetic area on the panel you can attach one panel to another and double the current at the same voltage.

Hint: I know the answer is no, but that would be a great feature. I want to use the cameras at a remote property where it is too inconvnenient to be recharging cameras.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JArloOfFlies,

Each solar panel is designed to charge a single camera. There is no way with the current design to do what you're describing. This is a good idea for a potential future product however, thanks for the feedback.

JamesC

ThePodhalan
Guide
Guide

I have this same problem. Heavy tree area. Camera overlooking a busy street. Lots of notifications. 4K.

I put 16W solar panel and connected via usb. Not suprisingly it is draining so I gotta put through some sort of usb timer shutoff.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
With a little electronics hacking this would be easy.
The output of a solar cell is voltage dependant on light level.
Why not simply connect the grounds together and then put a low forward voltage diode in series with each 'positive' output. That way the higher voltage one will feed the camera.
It may need a little more to configure the other pin/s used. They probably have a resistance so the camera knows what charger is connected, like USB chargers. A little work with a multimeter should work it out.
ThePodhalan
Guide
Guide
I did some testing with few solar panels.
Two observations:
- if a camera is charged via bigger solar panel when the charge gets to 100% then it drops to 95% immediately. Probably has to do with algorithm assuming 2W panel and not 16W or stronger.
- another fast battery drains happens in the evening when panel is flipping between generating and not generating power due to dusk. Usually looses very quickly 3-5% charge within minutes.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation