Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you daisy chain Arlo Ultra Solar Panels (VMA5600) if you dont have enough sunlight?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JArloOfFlies
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I want to be able to daisy chain multiple solar panels (VMA5600) to one camera in places where i might not have enough sunlight to keep the camera charged. Can you do that? 

So if you have a magnetic area on the panel you can attach one panel to another and double the current at the same voltage.

Hint: I know the answer is no, but that would be a great feature. I want to use the cameras at a remote property where it is too inconvnenient to be recharging cameras.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JArloOfFlies,

Each solar panel is designed to charge a single camera. There is no way with the current design to do what you're describing. This is a good idea for a potential future product however, thanks for the feedback.

JamesC

ThePodhalan
Guide
Guide

I have this same problem. Heavy tree area. Camera overlooking a busy street. Lots of notifications. 4K.

I put 16W solar panel and connected via usb. Not suprisingly it is draining so I gotta put through some sort of usb timer shutoff.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
With a little electronics hacking this would be easy.
The output of a solar cell is voltage dependant on light level.
Why not simply connect the grounds together and then put a low forward voltage diode in series with each 'positive' output. That way the higher voltage one will feed the camera.
It may need a little more to configure the other pin/s used. They probably have a resistance so the camera knows what charger is connected, like USB chargers. A little work with a multimeter should work it out.
ThePodhalan
Guide
Guide
I did some testing with few solar panels.
Two observations:
- if a camera is charged via bigger solar panel when the charge gets to 100% then it drops to 95% immediately. Probably has to do with algorithm assuming 2W panel and not 16W or stronger.
- another fast battery drains happens in the evening when panel is flipping between generating and not generating power due to dusk. Usually looses very quickly 3-5% charge within minutes.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation