Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
ADPC
Star
Star
I recently purchased the Arlo Ultra camera kit + hub but I cannot find anywhere in the UK that sells the EXTERNAL charge USB cables. Amazon appears to have the "internal" cables available for pre-order (estimated date: 20th April), however nothing for external charge cables - which according to the Arlo Website exist? Also, aside from the cable length what is the difference between the internal and external charge cables for the Ultra camera?
26 REPLIES 26
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ADPC,

The outdoor cable is a weatherproof design, whereas the indoor cable is not. (the usb end of the indoor cable is not weatherproof)

I don't currently have information on the UK release for the outdoor charger. The US version of this should be available on amazon May 8th.

i will provide an update when I know more.

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I plan to install one of these when I get round to it:

masterplug IP54 Weatherproof Enclosure Box For Outdoor Electrical Power Connections - Green: Amazon....

713g3EAU0cL._SL1500_

Available from other suppliers!

Big enough to supply power to various Arlo and Orbi stuff.

The Arlo indoor cable should be long enough, and a generic power adapter can deliver the power over USB.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the Ultra 4K wiring going through my garage drilled a big enough hole to accept the usb end pushed it through to outlet. Then I used a rubber grommet for the hole it works great! No water issues this route.. it’s been through rain and snow and all good..
ADPC
Star
Star

Hello SillySam,

Thanks for your advice/suggestion. Appreciated 🙂 

I had considered that option as ultimately thats what I plant to do. i.e. Taking the USB charge cable between the brickwork/upstaris window frame and into the house so it can be powered via a internal socket/usb.  The only problem here is that the power cable that came with my kit is only a metre long so utterly useless for this scenario.  I don't believe there's along (8m?) internal or external cable available in the UK at the moment.

I have to admit is seems utterly ridiculous that you can spend over £1000 on a 4 camera ultra kit only to be supplied with one pathetically short power cable,  I'm sure that the majority of Ultra cameras (costing over £300 each) will be positioned well above the reach-height  to stop them being stolen  (an increasing common problem with the Ring doorbells I believe) .  Therfore, I epect most will want to have the cameras permanently powered so you don't want to be getitng the ladders out every few weeks just to remove and recharge the battery. 

Come-one Arlo,  you have a great product here and you're letting yourselves down by 

1) Not including a decent USB lead for each camera.

2) Not having the cables avaialvle for purchase in the UK (at a reasonable and fair price)

Let's get this sorted please so we can move on and complete our Arlo Ultra installations  🙂

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ADPC wrote:

The only problem here is that the power cable that came with my kit is only a metre long so utterly useless for this scenario.  I don't believe there's along (8m?) internal or external cable available in the UK at the moment.

8 feet seems to be the limit at the moment.

Arlo Accessory Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable, 8 ft, Compatible with Arlo Ultra Only, (VMA5000C): Am...

"This item will be released on April 22, 2019."

But at £21.99 I'd hate to think what a longer cable would cost.

Guess that would work with a bit more DIY patching together.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
vilvic
Star
Star

I'm in a similar boat to you.  I have the ultra 3 camera setup which are currently sat in a drawer until the waterproof charge cables become available.  I'm not climbing up to the roof 3 times every week or so to recharge batteries.  The charge cables (VMA5600C) are available in North America and Australia for pre-order.  I've checked various European suppliers and they are not available anywhere.  I thought it was an oversight when it didn't appear on Amazon.co.uk but because no-one else has them it appears deliberate. 

So, at £900 I have 3 very expensive paperweights until Arlo can get their act together.

KarlisK
Tutor
Tutor

I had a similar problem. I've bought and installed: Arlo Solar Panel Charger (VMA5600). Battery was charged from 61% to 100% within five hours. Not available in Europe, yet. I ordered from Amazon USA.

ADPC
Star
Star

Thanks for the intel and planned release date. Sadly this looks to have been pushed back to June 03rd on the Amazon site 😞

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Accessory-Magnetic-Charging-Compatible/dp/B07PDSGYQS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_p...

I find it somewhat incredulous that a simple 5V USB cable can be so hard to produce and distribute.  Also the price is absoutely astonishing. I'll probably wait until a  3rd party create an Ultra magentic USB charge cable that does the same job for a couple of quid.  I'll post here if I ever find one 😉

Not sure I'll be buying additonal kit from Arlo. They're  having a laugh at the price of accesories.  i don't mind paying a premium for the cameras, as they're top quality, but not for a basic USB charge cable.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ADPC wrote:

I find it somewhat incredulous that a simple 5V USB cable can be so hard to produce and distribute.  Also the price is absoutely astonishing. I'll probably wait until a  3rd party create an Ultra magentic USB charge cable that does the same job for a couple of quid.  I'll post here if I ever find one 😉

It is even more baffling when you think that Arlo postponed the launch of the Ultra. Some escaped through BestBuy in January. Then it got pushed back to April.

Had things gone to plan, then, the gap between cameras and accessories would have been even longer.

I can't see that they needed extra time to make adapters and cables.

Just another user
VCG
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree, I've been waiting since January to be able to purchase the 25 ft cables. Still can't find them.
Jack-Malin
Star
Star

I ordered on Amazon 2 of the "Wasserstein 25ft/7.6M Weatherproof Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable with Quick Charge Power Adapter Compatible with Arlo Ultra"

They arrived today. They work fine. I cannot visually detect any significant difference with the magnetic attachment of the original "indoor" cable supplied with the unit.

There was an initial problem with delivery, but Wassertein and/or Amazon fixed it very efficiently.

I paid $35 each. I see that now they are not in stock anymore. I will be ordering another one when back in stock.

vilvic
Star
Star
Hi, thanks for update. Unfortunately neither wasserstein or Arlo even have the outdoor cable available to buy in the UK (or Europe for that matter). At this rate I'll have to import it from the US. It's beggars belief that they didn't have these cables ready at launch.

I'm deeply disappointed in Arlo at this point. They really have no excuse.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The Wasserstein weren't on Amazon when I ordered mine and so I purchased the Pavora brand for $22 each.  I can't see any difference in them.  When looking at the Arlo ones, the magnetic end also looks identicle.  What I can't see is the USB end of the Arlo ones.  I'm not sure any USB end would be waterproof if completely in the open.  The Pavora brand I got works great and at half the price of Arlo I will get them for all of mine.  However I intend to run a line up under my eaves from my outdoor plugs and or lights and install the USB power plugs you can get at any home improvement store to fit an electrical outlet to plug them into.

sidepipe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was looking at the Pavora cables for use here in the UK... are the chargers supplied 110-240V or are they 110V only? ( Mind you, even if I had to throw the chargers away, the cables are still cheaper.... and actually available! )

vilvic
Star
Star

They are supplied with 100-240v power supplies so yes they should work (I'd check the power supply first though as it should be written on the case somewhere).  You'll need a US to UK adapter of course.  UK USB power supplies will work too so if you have any old phone chargers they will work too as USB only uses 5 volts.  I've ordered three of these with the expideted delivery and the look to be delivered to me in the UK within 7 days.

LucRocs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup, in the same boat. Really frustrated as I wanted to use it on continuous mode and can't as I need a cable that hasnt been released in the UK yet.

So basically I spent £700 on an item I cant use! Thanks Arlo.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why wait for the unknown to happen! Just get a male to female usb cable and just use the supplied cable that came with the pro that is what I did works great
LucRocs
Aspirant
Aspirant

And its ok in the rain? That cable isnt meant to be weather proof which is what is worrying me.

SillySam
Apprentice
Apprentice
I made sure the end of the included cable was inside the wall before plugging in and yes it is fine I have had it hooked up for 3 months and 0 problems
sidepipe
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you use USB extension cables as suggested you can use self amalgamating tape to seal the joins. This still leaves the issue of getting hold of the Arlo charging cables if you need more than one... the 8 foot ones seem to be available in the UK now but are rediculously expensive.

I just bought 4 of these from the US:
Arlo Ultra Power Cable and Adapter, Magnetic Charging Cable for Arlo Ultra 25ft/7.6M Weatherproof Outdoor or Indoor Cable with Quick Charger Power Adapter Compatible Arlo Ultra

vilvic
Star
Star

@sidepipe wrote:

If you use USB extension cables as suggested you can use self amalgamating tape to seal the joins. This still leaves the issue of getting hold of the Arlo charging cables if you need more than one... the 8 foot ones seem to be available in the UK now but are rediculously expensive.

I just bought 4 of these from the US:
Arlo Ultra Power Cable and Adapter, Magnetic Charging Cable for Arlo Ultra 25ft/7.6M Weatherproof Outdoor or Indoor Cable with Quick Charger Power Adapter Compatible Arlo Ultra

I bought the Pavora cables too.  Arrived within a week and came with power supplies (albeit US but multi-voltage so will work on 240v).

They are cheaper and even the postage was reasonable.  The Arlo official cables are twice the price at $50 and no doubt the taxes added are going to be double too.

I've been using them for about a month (outdoors) and no problems so far.

vilvic
Star
Star

@LucRocs wrote:

Yup, in the same boat. Really frustrated as I wanted to use it on continuous mode and can't as I need a cable that hasnt been released in the UK yet.

So basically I spent £700 on an item I cant use! Thanks Arlo.

Buy the pavora cables from amazon.com.  They are half the price and arrived within a week.  I got sick of waiting.

Old-dirty
Star
Star
Any news on the outdoor cable for the UK? It’s been 4 months now and I still can’t use the features I want because I can’t provide power to the camera.

Amazon keep pushing the release date back and no information form Arlo. What’s going on?
Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation