Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AndrewHirst
Guide
Guide
I can only connect to my Arlo ultra cameras microphones when on our home wifi. When I am not home and try to connect I get the “connecting” icon but it never connects. I can see live video and hear sound at the property, but cannot connect to the microphone. Help?
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AndrewHirst,

What device are you using that is behaving this way? Are you connected to mobile data or a different WiFi connection when this occurs?

JamesC

AndrewHirst
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

I am using my iPhone when away from the property - I get the same result when I try with wifi (e.g from work) or mobile data.

I also note that I am continuosuly having other isuses with the cameras - they go offline quite often, and taken a long time to connect when I want to get a live feed.

Reading the Arlo community blog there seems to be a lot of people havign simialr issues with these Ultra cameras - but not on the Pro 2.  We have Pro 2 camreras at our beach - and they operate perfectly.

i wonder if there is a firmware issue with the Utlra cameras?

AndrewHirst
Guide
Guide
Can I take my system Ultra camera and box back to the retailer and switch for a Pro 2 system - this Utlra set-up is terrible - it just keeps failing.
Are there plans for firmware upgrades to sort this out?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AndrewHirst,

The Ultra cameras require more bandwidth to operate which means they are a little more susceptible to issues resulting from poor signal strength or interference. You might try elevating the SmartHub or, if possible, moving it closer to the cameras that are having connectivity issues to help improve signal strength.

JamesC

AndrewHirst
Guide
Guide
One of the offending cameras is only 5 metres from the smart hub! It is outside, so requires a signal to pass through a wall, but surely it should be able to cope with that? The answer can’t simply be to move the cameras closer to the smart hub - this is marketed as a system to protect your house, so the cameras need to be on the outside corners - why don’t you make the smart hub signal stringer so we don’t gave these issues. You still let customers know that the ultra features come with the negative of needing to be pretty much next to the smart hub to work - whereas the pro 2 cameras, while having less features, are more robust and easier to deploy at sensible distances. By the way, this hasn’t answered my question as to why I cannot connect to the microphone unless I’m on my home wifi.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation