Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
efrost01
Follower
Follower

The siren bulit in the Arlo Ultra camera does to seem be loud enougn to warn off anyone around and another base station has a better siren bulit in the base station

57 REPLIES 57
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Did you, as suggested earlier, check the volume settings?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
I see the volume settings for the speaker which are at 100 but there is an alarm volume setting?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei
  • Mode
    • Edit rule
    • Turn alarm ON
      • Siren Duration
      • Siren Loudness
        • Loud > Very Loud > Extremely Loud

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks I see it.

I only trigger alarms manually. I assume that means it is at full blast?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@chrisngrod wrote:

I assume that means it is at full blast?

Why?

Only a live test will confirm that and support all those claims that the alarm is too quiet.

Just another user
agsurf55
Star
Star
Yes. Extremely loud.... I attached the screen shot on another reply
chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah alright I tested it out. No louder than people carrying on a conversation in a pretty crowded room.

Not going to make the neighbors really look your way. Might make a trespasser think their time is limited unless they know no one is home.

Not like the Pro 2 basestation. I run outside Ultras and inside Pro 2s so unless I hook up the old base station I have no inner sirens.

Ring floodlight is a little louder but more like a siren than a Piezo buzzer
Thomtr225
Aspirant
Aspirant

There does not seem to be a volume setting for the alarm 🚨  with the Arlo Altra hub. 

chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
Conversation above is about the alarm sound settings if you setup a rule. Ie it is triggered. If you manually toggle it, it goes off at its max.

Hub doesn't have an alarm this time around.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Thomtr225 wrote:

There does not seem to be a volume setting for the alarm 🚨  with the Arlo Altra hub. 

There sure is, see above, but if you are looking for a volume knob on the camera, you are right.

There is actually no way to sound the camera's alarm without encountering the volume setting. You just need to look for it.

The alarm will not sound unless you have a rule that turns it on. Even if you want the Ultra camera to turn on its own alarm.

That rule needs a trigger event of some kind, usually from a camera that is responding to motion.

Setting up that rule requires you to set the camera to tell the alarm on the Ultra camera, any Ultra camera on your system, to sound.

When you do that, you get the option to set the volume.

If you cannot find a volume setting, you are either doing something wrong or missing an important step.

Just another user
chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
Devices tab, upper right hand corner exclamation mark, activate siren.

There is a way to manually trigger each one and it does it at the loudest setting apparently.
Process327
Initiate
Initiate

You are right. Horrible

In comparison, the last model wold kill a baby

JT1504
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo must have updated the firmware! It used to be really loud and a different alert sound!😕 Bring it back Arlo!
JT1504
Tutor
Tutor
This option on mode doesn't change the loudness anymore! Sounds like a vibration and weak! Arlo must have updated the firmware😕!
JT1504
Tutor
Tutor
Sounds like Philips Sonicare toothbrush now😩😕
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Just got my 4 pack and the alarm is very quiet, in fact there is no difference in the loudness regardless of the volume setting, it must be stuck on loud, but that is awful!
floridatom
Initiate
Initiate

Very dissapointed in the siren volume from the cameras.  The volume does not change between Loud, Very Loud, and Extremely Loud. Is there a potential fix for this or do I just need to return the kit?

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Has anyone heard the siren be loud or has it always been quiet. For me it’s always been quiet.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Any news of a fix coming for this?
rturner34345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Isn't the noise just a deterant to let people know they are being recorded?

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
It might well be, but when there are 3 loudness settings and there is no difference between them, then something is broken somewhere and a fix is needed!
Az3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the ultra as well, the speakers on the cameras are horrendous. I tried to talk to my daughter in the backyard and she couldn’t hear me, so I tried the alarm to see if that was loud. NOTHING, it was barely heard from 5 feet away. I spent $1,000 on this nonsense.

synth_wedge
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would agree. I just contacted support and all they could say was please make sure you turn up the volume in the app. Um, yeah. Thanks for that. I have two systems, one Arlo 2 and the second the Ultra. They did say that the Arlo 2 use a siren in the base station, which is VERY loud, but that the Ultra cameras have the siren built in. The Ultra 'sirens' sound like a beep, and the Ultra 'spot light' is only as bright as a pen light. I paid $1k to ward off prowlers with a beep and a flashlight! 🙂 I'm sure that in both cases Arlo could simply add more dB and Lumens with a frimware update. Please arlo? Thanks!

Jimakaze
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks. It's not easy to find.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
It's not easy to hear either!