Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

pjsisk01
Star
Star

Please tell me these new Arlo Ultra cameras are compatible with the exisiting Arlo Pro base staton and app. If not it pretty much leaves all of the exisitng customers who invested a lot of money (myself over 700 USD) out of the upgrade game.

116 REPLIES 116
SigSci
Initiate
Initiate

I bought the Ultra with the assumption that it would be compatible with the prior base stations.  The Ultra is my 8th Arlo camera--I'm VERY disappointed that my assumption was not correct.  There's nothing on the box that indicates the Ultra is not compatible.  BAD MOVE ARLO!

4kview
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you have a current subscription you can cancel it (and get a pro-rated refund) and when you add your ultra hub you will get the 1 year free subscription on your plan. No need to change emails to do it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Muddy168, SigSci

Arlo is working on introducing backwards compatibility to be released at a future update.

JamesC

JeffSD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, seems kind of silly I can't add the updgraded camera to my existing system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ultra is new. Ya gotta let the rest of the system catch up. Bugs to fix first.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@JeffSD wrote:

Thank you, seems kind of silly I can't add the updgraded camera to my existing system.

While the plan is for the old bases to support the Ultra, there is no plan for the old bases to support the key new features of the Ultra: 4k resolution, Auto Track and Zoom, local live streaming, and a simplified onboarding experience.

Considering that, there's little reason to want to add an Ultra to an old system.

jackw007
Star
Star

Is anyone having trouble adding an Ultra to their base station?  I tried to follow the instructions on the pamphlet and in the video to use my Android phone app - won't work.  I tried to add it just like my Pro and Pro 2 cameras, but the only wirefree selection I have is for the Arlo, Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 - won't work.  I went to the web and tried to add it there - aha!  There's a selection for the Ultra in wirefree cameras that does not appear in my Android app - but no base station is detected.  I tried to see if there is an app update available - nope.

Any suggestions?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

You really need the new "smart hub" Ultra basestation.  A future firmware will allow the Ultra to connect to an old Pro basestation, but you will need the new hub to support the key features of the Ultra: 4k resolution, Auto Track and Zoom, local live streaming, and a simplified onboarding experience.

jackw007
Star
Star

So this camera does not work without a smart hub?   

JeffSD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation, I'll just stick with my current system as it works fine and just get a motion light by the camera I wanted to replace with an Ultra.

jchapman12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Pro with 3 cameras and am looking forward to the new security system coming out that was showcased at CES.  My question is does anyone know if you can get add an Arlo Pro 2 or Arlo Ultra camera to work with the Arlo Pro base station or do you have to purchase a completely new base station making us stuck with the Arlo Pro cameras? 

Thanks for the help 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're trying to read things into what's happening. The Ultar system is new and in flux. It's already been announced that a future firmware update for older bases will make them compatible with the Ultra cameras. The Ultra base is already compatible with the older cameras.

No one is stuck with anything but it may take a while to make everything work together.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jackw007 wrote:

So this camera does not work without a smart hub?   

Not sure where does the "smart" comes from. It needs an Ultra hub. 

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Not sure where does the "smart" comes from. It needs an Ultra hub. 

Arlo's name for it is the "Ultra SmartHub"

enigmaphoenix
Star
Star

Same here.  I did my research when pre-orders became available (CES).  Arlo was happy to tell everyone covering CES that they would be backwards compatible with the pro base stations.  I'd link articles, but prob frowned on here.  Just check out Cnets coverage of the ultra for example.  Have a pretty expensive paperweight that is sitting at the house today.  Not happy.

Nothing anywhere to this day on the fact that it is not compatible.  Argh!!

enigmaphoenix
Star
Star

This is perfectly acceptable if it was clearly communicated on the product page or box.  It is not.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@enigmaphoenix wrote:

Same here.  I did my research when pre-orders became available (CES).  Arlo was happy to tell everyone covering CES that they would be backwards compatible with the pro base stations.  I'd link articles, but prob frowned on here. 

Not at all. There have been plenty of links to articles about Arlo stuff here. The competition is another matter.

A lot depends on what you understood by, and what those articles said about, compatibility.

The Utra and Pro systems are compatible. But at the moment you do need an Ultra hub to use Ultra cameras.

You can attach Pro 2 cameras to an Ultra hub. Maybe also other devices.

You cannot, yet, attach Ultra cameras to a Pro hub – that is said to be in the works – but why would anyone want to? It is the Ultra hub that provides many of the features that the Ultra cameras are supposed to deliver.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
GWhitehouse
Aspirant
Aspirant
This wAs advertised as backwards compatible on amazon.com. And now learning that it is not? Terrible Custer service
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd rather that Arlo fix the major issues and worry about backwards compatibility last. Give it time but, as has beens suggested elsewhere here, the advantages of using an Ultra base may be worth the switch from the older bases.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@GWhitehouse wrote:
This wAs advertised as backwards compatible on amazon.com. And now learning that it is not?

To make this more than rumour, here is what it still says on Amazon.com:

Amazon.com : Arlo Technologies VMS5240-100NAS - 4K UHD Wire-Free Security 2 Camera System, White : C...

Is Ultra backwards compatible with my existing Arlo System?

Yes. Ultra can connect to an existing Arlo Base Station as well as existing outdoor security mounts. It is not backwards compatible with previous generation Arlo batteries.

Then again, the wording is less than crystal clear. It is for the two-camera system that comes with its own Ultra Hub. But it says the same thing for the standalone camera.

Just another user
pjsisk01
Star
Star

"Considering that, there's little reason to want to add an Ultra to an old system."

Except for those of us who purchased new Pro2 cameras with its base less than a year ago and are now being asked to just throw that base aside and buy the new "Ultra" base. Arlo is getting alot of people angry here with their double-speak about compatibility. I'm done, frankly. I plan to sell this Pro2 system on CS and get an entirely new system that does not have "Arlo" on it. To everyone else, enjoy your frustration with this company.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@pjsisk01 wrote:

"Considering that, there's little reason to want to add an Ultra to an old system."

Except for those of us who purchased new Pro2 cameras with its base less than a year ago and are now being asked to just throw that base aside and buy the new "Ultra" base.

Two points, no one is asking anyone to "throw away" the old base. It has its advantages over the new ones. (Think alarm.)

Then there is the possibility that Ultra cameras will be compatible with the old hub when the official release happens.

That Arlo, and Best Buy, jumped the gun and put these things out three months early must be frustrating.

I wonder what Amazon knew that Best Buy didn't. Maybe its claims about compatibility will turn out to be correct. If not, there's a good chance that it will shout long and loud at Arlo.

Just another user
fastbird78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the sound feature work using an Arlo Ultra Camera with the VMB3500 (base station) ?

Thank you ....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't believe th Ultra is compatable at this time to the 3500 base... maybe in future

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Garys10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the Arlo UIltra camera work with my Arlo Pro system?