Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have ordered the Arlo wireless security system with 4 ultra hd cameras from best buy.  The system comes with the 4 Arlo Ultra cameras and a base.  It is on back order, so I do not have it yet.  I have a question regarding recording.  I'm rural with limited download/upload speed and volume.  I do not want to use the cloud to record videos in any way.  Am I able to ONLY record videos locally to the base?  Or perhaps to an external drive?  I do not want to use the cloud in anyway.  Is this possible?  If not it is definitely a deal breaker and I will cancel/return my order.  

Thanks,
Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s unfortunate. I like the features of this camera security system a lot but I’m very much against using the cloud. I’ll continue my search. Thanks all.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SteveDoes
Guide
Guide

Yes, it's possible to just record to the base and not use the cloud. Keep in mind that you can't view the videos from a mobile device. You'll need to pull out the SD card and put it in a PC to view. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And you won't be able to control the system. It's like the other cameras/bases.

JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the information. Is it possible to still receive alerts via a phone app from a camera that is triggered by detected motion without accessing/using the cloud?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.

JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s unfortunate. I like the features of this camera security system a lot but I’m very much against using the cloud. I’ll continue my search. Thanks all.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat wrote:

And you won't be able to control the system. It's like the other cameras/bases.

That’s too bad, I couldn’t careless about cloud storage (happy with local storage) but need to be able to access camera and recordings remotely. Apparently can’t do one without the other. After paying top $ for any camera, one should be able to use it as intended, cloud storage service should be optional.

Even the included “free” one year subscription is built into the purchase (already high) price.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I did some digging, Arlo Ultra will record in 1080p for free.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Cwmmmm wrote:
I did some digging, Arlo Ultra will record in 1080p for free.

Yes that’s correct, but you won’t be able to view your recordings from your mobile device. You will have to pull out the sd card and plug it in a computer for viewing.

JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately I have to look elsewhere for a solution. The cloud is just not an option for me.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo has always been cloud-based - not sure why this would surprise you.

JimJL
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo is new to me. In fact all Home camera security systems are. I’m just gathering information to try to create a home security system that works for me and this is part of the process.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat wrote:

Arlo has always been cloud-based - not sure why this would surprise you.

That’s no surprise, cloud was part of the system, liking it or not wasn’t an issue as it was free (at least for seven days). To many of us it was ok as long as we were able to use the cams as intended, view your recordings from your mobile device and from anywhere. That was a very meaningful selling feature, I would guess for a lot of customers. It’s now gone. That is the unpleasant surprise, only time will tell its impact on their future sales.

I can only speak for myself when I say: “I’m out”.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation