Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In another post, there has been an offer of a code for one month's free recording to the cloud as a gesture of goodwill. I wanted to point out that the current model of firmware updates being automatically pushed out isn't working: a) frequently firmware updates break things because they're not being adequately tested it tested at all; b) this generates a lot of extra, but frankly unnecessary, work: for customers (resetting the system, resyncing, writing to support and on here), for Arlo staff (support on here, support on the phone/online, engineering team). I'm surprised the engineering team is still allowed to continue in the current setup, especially that firmware/app problem isn't the first time this has happened. There should be some restructuring happening: less frequent but also optional firmware updates (user intervened) with a beta programme for those who want to test new firmware releases. If Arlo is worried about firmware being available in the open, it could be encrypted and then automatically decrypted when being uploaded in the base station. This would also solve the issue of currently no firmware updates being available in Europe. All of the above would save everyone time, effort and money, not to mention Arlo's reputation, as it's clear to me that inevatibly, with so many app/firmware updates being broken, whether your users are on this forum or not, they'll start noticing a pattern. Especially, that for a security system, what's being done with it by the development team in terms of frequent and broken updates is unacceptable. Really unacceptable. Think about your reputation, Arlo.

Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

In another post, there has been an offer of a code for one month's free recording to the cloud as a gesture of goodwill "

Hey - that's great. Could you please provide a link to that post ?

And Arlo - three things:

1. If that offer has been made why is not not being published on this forum so those of us with a crippled system due to your Devs & Testers incompetence at least get some camera coverage for our security?
  2. Why can't/don't you rollback the update that's caused this?
  3. Why the silence as to an accurate summary of the issue, proposed timeline and how this happened - apparently again?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI All,

The firmware fix for this issue is now available. Please restart your Base Station/SmartHub to receive the update. It may take a few minutes after the restart for your system to complete the firmware installation.

Alternatively, you will automatically receive the firmware update overnight.

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue.

Firmware version with the fix (reference your base station/SmartHub model VMBXXXX)

VMB5000-1.20.4.1_1373_d606780
VMB4540-1.20.4.1_1311_d606780
VMB4500-1.20.4.1_4079_d606780
VMB4000-1.20.4.1_4214_d606780

Please let me know if you are still experiencing an issue after your base station/SmartHub has been updated.

AFRetired
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!!  I just restarted the hub to load the update and my cameras and they are recording locally again.  Thank you to your team for fixing this issue with the previous update!!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @AFRetired

Thanks for the quick confirmation. 

Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same Same..... confirming local recording back after update. Cheers

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks @Rickh25345

MattBradford
Aspirant
Aspirant

Confirming that my local recording is now back after restarting my base station.  Thank you ShaneS.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I can confirm that local library access now works for me when I'm on the same local network as the base station (VMB5000). Mine's been broken for many months but it hasn't been a priority for me because 1) it's only available on the primary account and I mainly use a shared to account and 2) I have a subscription so generally access cloud recordings.

I was hopeful it might now work across a VPN but no. On the bright side it doesn't pretend to, buy showing the cloud/local storage drop down then saying it isn't available right now and the arlo team is working on it. For the record, I'm using a vanilla SSL VPN into an ASUS router from an android 12 phone. The phone CAN see local library when on the local network. I also tried IPSec VPN but still no access to local library.

This is progress guys 🙂 Please keep it going!

Whuff
Star
Star

Yes, mine is working now too!! 

Thanks!

TPatrick
Tutor
Tutor

Still having issues.  Firmware updated on hub, still cannot see local storage.  Using a Galxy S10 phone.

EvertG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also updated the firmware, restarted it and still cannot access the smart hub. I use iPhone 12 Pro Max. IOS Version 15.6.1

I also still cannot live stream 4K on the same network. I need to disable the 4K toggle in order watch live view.

I lost both abilities in the August update.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@TPatrick @EvertG

Are you trying to access your local recordings while away/off of your local network?

TPatrick
Tutor
Tutor

No, I am home on the same network.

EvertG
Aspirant
Aspirant

No. I am trying to access my local recordings at home on the same network which has worked for years and stopped in August 2022.

etirx8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please release the new Firmware in Europe.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's not just up to Arlo, but also Verisure, though by the sounds of it, any discussion in this area has come to a halt. Check the Pro4 thread where this topic is continued.

Granting
Star
Star

I have this latest firmware but I am still unable to access recordings on the microSD card in my VMB5000 base station. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember, which is years. Have tried everything I could research on internet. Have had many different routers over this period and none of them produce a different outcome - it just doesn't work, either on local network or remotely after activating port forwarding.

I have an iphone and my system has a combination of Pro2 and Ultra Cameras. I can only conclude that either the firmware in the base unit or software on the iphone is so flakey that it doesn't allow direct access to the stored videos. I base this assumption on all the problems raised by so many on these forums and across the internet. The alternative is that Arlo have made it so unworkable to push people onto a subscription - which incidentally I have chosen not to have. Given how well the app works with most features - many of which are quite sophisticated, and how relatively simple it is to write software to access storage on another device, it seems more plausible that this non functionality is conveniently deliberate.

Recently got an email from Arlo that other features including cloud storage for Pro2 will cease "grandfathered" shortly. These cameras are maybe 5 years old and given how technology advances I don't find it unreasonable that Arlo are doing this.

But when combined with the lack of usability of direct access to local storage - for years - I will also grandfather my system to the trash and buy another brand. I see this as the ONLY way forward.

Granting
Star
Star

I made a concerted effort today and again reset all devices and rebuilt my Arlo network from scratch. Lo and behold I can now access SD storage from my local network. Will now try and get port forwarding working for remote access.

Cpassos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

I live in Switzerland and the firmware update is not available. Can you release it to Europe please? 
Thanks 

Cpassos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you get it? I am also in Europe but still no update available? 

Christophe78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am in Europe too and I am stuck to firmware 1.19.0.3_4074_68a8e53

Anyway can someone confirm that we don't have remote access to local storage with the VMB4000 in Europe.

And we don't have access to the latest firmware.

Therefore, on April 2023, in 3 months, our whole system will become useless, right ?

- no cloud service

- no remote access to local storage

What in hell are we supposed to do ????

PS : I did not fully understand : do US customers have remote access to local storage with VMB4000 ?

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From my understanding, the EOL doesn't affect customers in Europe, including the UK. But I could be wrong. 

Christophe78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately here is the answer I got from the European Arlo Assistance service : seems the EOL policy will be enforced everywhere :

"Arlo Europe is an exclusive distributor of the ARLO products in Europe and this EOL policy came from the manufacturer, ARLO technologies Inc, itself. We, Arlo Europe, will connect with the potentially impacted customers shortly with further information and remain committed to keeping them loyal members of the Arlo community.

I can also make a complaint in your name to Customer Care Team and see if there is anything they could do for you."

Gleasonh
Aspirant
Aspirant

My app is updated my firmware is updated but I still have zero access to locally stored video. The library screen just Says no recordings the little drop down to toggle between close and local is no longer there.

.. yes I'm on the same home network as the hub... if I check the storage space on the micro SD card it's nearly full so there is stuff there ... what's the deal who wants to remove the SD card to see the recordings ?