Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Accessing Smarthub

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
kaminsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it working by starting over back in November.  Now it is broken again!!!!  W**??

kaminsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo, do something.  your system is unstable.  We shouldn't have to re-install the system every month to get it to function.

davidorich
Guide
Guide

After your most recent updste - i cannot access my SmartHub library - at all (the only way i can acces it is if i remove the thum drive and plug it into my laptop). Before your update i could access the library no problem, and i call port forwarding on and could access the library remotely. I have logged out, deleted the app, re-downloaded the app, removed all camera's and hub, reinstalled everything, triple checked my router settings / IP address and ports per the app and confirmed that in the app. What have i missed? when will this be resolved?   

AFRetired
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue the last update was 6 December 2022 and the last recording I have locally was 0435 on 14 Dec 2022.  I’ve contacted ARLO and they said they would escalate it.  But seems this is a reoccurring problem with some updates.  This doesn’t make me feel comfortable since I live out of the country and can’t purchase a iCloud storage option because of being out of the country. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issue too.  My last update was  6 December 2022 and the last recording I have locally was on 14 Dec 2022.  I've tried everything from unplugging the Home Base, removing and adding all cameras, factory reset the home base, and formatting and changing hard drives to no avail.  I think the issue is the app.  I have an iphone 13 Pro.  We need this fixed by Arlo and to be honest I'm getting pretty tired of Arlo poor support and constant failures.  The reason I choose Arlo is because of the local storage and wifi cameras.  I might have to look elsewhere for a more reliable system.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ive given up with getting suport from Arlo. Their aware of the issue and choose silence as a strategy. What that strategy is baffles me. Perhaps its "we know the issues and cannot fix, or we know the issue and silence will drive subscriptions in frustration". Both are inexcusable. Take my advices. Copy comments from here and post replies to every piece of advertising they put on social media. Add reviews on Amazon and everywhere else so at least more poor consumers arent affected. Email the exec team at Arlo and complain. Probably won't make a difference in fixing the issue, but atleast the public will get a view of the real Con's with Arlo.

Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly the same issue, it just stopped recording to SD card 24 hours ago. Error: "Videos stored on Base Station are not available, please check your connection". Eventually factory reset VMB5000 Hub and Ultra cameras, restarted with everything on defaults, just one camera. Waste of time. Nothing, nada, zip. Very frustrating.

Arlo - when will the problem be fixed?

Whuff
Star
Star

Yes, they did an update and now it doesn't work again.  This is totally unacceptable! Their software is CRAP!!

Whuff
Star
Star

Same problem here. Piece of crap software!!

Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Received this back from friendly Arlo support person (published with permission - Arlo response in Italics):

Thank you for the information. Arlo DevOps team is investigating an issue where customers are experiencing no recordings in local storage. We are working on resolving this issue.

There's no definite timeframe as of this time, but we are making sure that our developers are aware of it and are working on the fix. All efforts are being done to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.

Thanks - given that it appears to be affecting a growing number of your Customers are Arlo going to provide an update - perhaps direct into the thread I provided <this one> as it's effectively killing your product's usefulness...? Cheers

We understand your frustrations and rest assured that our Engineering team is actively working on the resolution. We'll keep you posted for further updates. I apologize once more.

iknowz
Aspirant
Aspirant

My smart hub was working fine until the Dec6 update.  now local recordings does not work at all.

Power cycled, checked all the cameras, they all react to motion and can have live stream, but now none record to the local USB.  Yes, I am on the same Wifi, Yes my cameras have good signal.  NO I have not changed anything, and I also DID NOT request or approve of this upgrade to my device, it was just installed without permission and now my cameras are all broken.

Firmware:  1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8

Hardware:  VMB4540r2

Began using in 2020, had a terrible time with support not understanding basic questions on how to configure and use local storage.  After much research I figured it out and it was working almost 18months now till this last update.

Last noted update in the Settings>About = Version 4.0.2 (5309) Released Dec 6, 2022

This is the day the cameras died.

Lennny
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system has the same problem, but it happened just a few days ago. No matter what I do, including trying a different base station, I can't see any locally recorded videos. This is why I bought this system. VERY disappointing. I've been through all the fixes and nothing works so far.

Arlo Ultra and Ultra 2, newest smarthubs, newest firmware. This seems to be deliberate, because Arlo pushes the cloud solutions that you have to pay for. It's evident in the interface you see when you use your computer to access the cameras.

Lennny
Aspirant
Aspirant

I followed all the steps listed in the post of 12/15/2022 and it still doesn't allow me to access any recordings stored locally on my smart hub memory card. It worked a few days ago for months and years. I didn't make any changes but did notice that one or two cameras had free cloud access for a limited time, which mostly didn't use, and that free access expired, but I don't remember when.

I tried 2 different base stations with the same negative results. It appears to me that you are limiting and removing features for local access to recordings in favor of selling profitable cloud access to the same recordings. Unacceptable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lennny wrote:

It appears to me that you are limiting and removing features for local access to recordings in favor of selling profitable cloud access to the same recordings. 

Just a bug I think - @JamesC posted that Arlo is investigating yesterday.

FWIW, I would agree that the firmware, cloud, and app updates aren't adequately tested before being rolled out.

MattBradford
Aspirant
Aspirant

...in addition to the loss of locally recorded video, after this last update I've noticed that the notifications have increased significantly in frequency.  I used to get a notification of "motion at backdoor" when there was motion and the camera started recording.  Now when there's motion, the notification gets repeated every 3-5 seconds while there's motion.  It's ridiculous.  Bing bing bing bing bing....25 notices all from just a single event.  Anyone else notice this?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

CarribeanPirate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue with the same exact timing. I am using an iPhone 13 Pro and this started immediately after an "update" to the app. The Arlo products are garbage. I will be looking for a new solution.

kaminsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine stopped recording on 12-13.  Unbelievable.

CarribeanPirate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased my equipment specifically to be able to record my doorbell video locally then access it remotely via the phone app using port forwarding. That worked perfectly until early morning Dec. 13th. I did an app update that morning, now that functionality no longer works. A huge waste of money on this equipment if that functionality is not restored, and extremely greedy on the part of Arlo if that removal of functionality was done on purpose in order to force users into monthly subscriptions. If that is the case and the functionality is not restored, I will be replacing all of my Arlo equipment and will make it my mission to share this story with as many people as possible through social media.

balustrade
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd like to add another entry with the exact same experience as those above: early morning 12/13, all cameras stopped recording to the basestation. I spent half a day pulling down cameras (because the inner sync button MUST be pressed) nuking and paving everything, cameras, basestation and USB...not the first time I have had to do this song and dance either, which is ridiculous, as I'm sure those above can also attest. I tried this long laborious process repeatedly because nothing was working.

Thankfully I discovered this thread that let me know I was pounding my head against the wall for nothing.

Also, I swear when I first loaded the app it flashed some kind of firmware update screen that immediately disappeared. Involuntary firmware updates are suspicious as well.

Is there no QA testing before you promote these updates?

Unsurprisingly, the offers for 60% off cloud storage are still popping up repeatedly as I slog through this nightmare. I will never give Arlo a single coin and am actively looking to replace this system while relaying to all acquaintances not to buy any of your products. Once you lose a customer's trust with repeated bs like this it does not return.

jcplansi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Getting the same issue as most people here.  My cameras stopped recording since 14th December.  But continously detects movements

OrinD
Aspirant
Aspirant

December 13th was the day that lived in infamy for many it would seem. Local Storage is a big deal and to not have it makes the equipment basically useless if you don't have internet access.  

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I’m done with Arlo and will not recommend this brand to anyone.  Going to look for a new system and trash my Arlo setup. 

Kec1221
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any update cause I am experiencing the same issue and cannot figure out how to fix it

AFRetired
Aspirant
Aspirant

According to the representative that I talked to the other day they have elevated the issue.  Apparently with the recent app update it messed it up and they didn’t know it.  So I would guess they are pushing updates without testing then to make sure they don’t effect all the options of the ARLO.  I was told they would notify me once they have an update.  But Apparently this has happened in the past a year or so ago and it took them a month to correct the issue.  Let’s hope that isn’t the case and they learn from their mistakes this time.