Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
Whuff
Star
Star

Totally remove smartub and cameras. Start installing like they are new. It is a little work, but it fixed the problem for me.

kaminsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did this and still had to restart the hub after to get it to work.  Bottom line, Arlo sucks.

Sydney_007
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought four Ultra wireless cameras, the VMB5000 base and kept a cloud subscription for 12 months to record the video.

I found the camera motion detection random at best, if it did record anything it was usually the last 2 seconds of the postman's behind as he walked away from the property after having delivered the mail.

I was about to put the lot in the bin as a useless purchase, when i though I would give it one more try,but with local SD Card storage.

Despite buying a new U3 V30 200MB/s SC Card (having previously tried one from my Nikon camera) I cannot get the hub to recognize or format  the SD Card.

This has to be one of the worst purchases I have ever make in my 40 years as an adult!  Shame on you Arlo.

bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

Solution:  Eufy  

I am giving up on Arlo. Very expensive mistake.  I have replaced my Arlo with Eufy and so far very pleased. Some small hardware features that I miss from Arlo, but apparently the Eufy software developers know what they are doing and up to par with the hardware. Newer hub on order that will add even more features.

quarky42
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same problem on my ultra vmb5000 for weeks.  Reboots and app reinstall doesn't do anything.

Factory reset is BS.  Arlo needs to fix their.  I've lost count of the number of times this has happened.  They used to fix it, but they've got their support locked behind a pay wall so tight.  Shouldn't have to pay them to fix their software / firmware.  This clearly isn't an isolated problem.

NPU
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve rebooted my device, verified the USB works on my PC. 

I can see the recordings on my PC when I I remove the USB and connect to my PC but I get the error message when trying to view videos on the App. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You selected Pro 2 for this post which would imply that you're using an older base station. Only the SmartHubs VMB4540 and VMB5000 support direct viewing of the local recordings via the app. If you don't have one of those hubs, your only option is to eject the drive for viewing on a computer. However, unless something has changed, I'm surprised that you would get the option to select your base. So, what base or hub do you have?

NPU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry. I have a base station VMB 4540

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you getting this error when the phone is connected to your local wifi?

NPU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. Phone and Arlo are the same local network. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NPU wrote:

Yes. Phone and Arlo are the same local network. 

I think the next step (though painful) is to do a factory reset on the base and set everything up again.

EvertG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Tried every thing and still cannot access smarthub recordings.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary

I can confirm that removing the base and re-adding it again solves the issue.

Not at all impressed that this was needed to get it working again as it took a couple hours to get all cameras set up again as it was before.

Hope this helps.

NPU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did the reset, added base station and cameras. Did a new recording. 

Still not available to view via the app reading from the base station. 

I get the same error message. “Video stored on Base Station are not available. Please check your connection settings”

What else would cause this? It all used to work. 

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

So here we go again. Unable to access locally stored videos via the app. Have tried all the switch off, restart, check videos with the usb HD attached to a laptop (they are on the HD) and nothing fixes the issue. When checking the storage via the base station settings, the app reports the amount of space used and available correctly so it is communicating withe the storage device. Once again this crap system simply can’t be relied on. I’m sure Arlo are trying to push everyone into subscriptions which I refuse to do. Earlier this year they screwed up the Android app. I use an iPhone and there are no updates available. So annoying.

Oh and who includes a required input field further down the page AFTER the “Post” button? Answer: ARLO 

Why can’t they get some decent designers/developers/testers?

FLIPSIDE69
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here. Reset whole system and hd is detected properly and setup but yet ......Arlo is unable to obtain library and team is trying to fix it.

Happened before and it automatigically fixed itself after a couple days but it's been a about a week now and nothing. Garbage app and garbage support. Reset this and reset that BS.

FLIPSIDE69
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone else experiencing issues with the App and the library in particular with Local recording? Mine have all of a sudden stopped working and when I try to view local recordings it says "error obtaining library. Arlo support is working on it."

I reset my hub and even set it up again from scratch. My hard drive has been reformatted and it is saving videos when recording, however I just cant view them. In the past the issue just automatically fixed itselft after a day or two but it's now a week and not sure what to do. Arlo server status shows recording is working without issues.

Devs please help!

DDWeeks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes! Did you find a solution.

FLIPSIDE69
Tutor
Tutor

No I have not. And without a subscription to Arlo I can't even get support.......unless you wanna talk to their chatbot

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good luck getting help, been an ongoing issue for months with nought from Arlo. Reset my hub, worked for a bit and has happenned again. Crap system, worse support.

TPatrick
Tutor
Tutor

I guess Arlo doesn't want us to see the resolution.  It just comes up with "Solved," and we cannot see the solution.  I am going back to my WYSE Camera System.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @TPatrick

This thread is not marked solved, but has best answers from previous posts. I am monitoring this issue and thread and I will be sure to provide updates as soon as possible. 

bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS, You know as well as anyone that Arlo isn't taking this issue seriously. This issue has existed well over a year. "Monitoring this issue and thread" as you put it, resolves nothing but just adds to the customer frustration. There needs to be PROOF that the Arlo developers are ACTIVELY working on the issue. This post will likely get me banned from the community, but that's OK. I re-live the frustration each time I get an email from this thread where another individual is impacted. If only I or someone else had the time and energy to initiate a class action lawsuit this would easily be a clean sweep. Resolving the issue requires ACTION...sorry, but that ain't happening guys! Either buy in to Arlo's tactics and subscribe to their services or replace your system with a reputable company.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Couldnt agree more. Their heavy on the chit chat, very light on resolutions. Things went well for awhilst until THEY broke something AGAIN and now months without firm resolution or even acknowledgement when an issue will be resolved. The lack of comms is one of the most frustrating and infuriating aspects but shows just how much customer service means to them. 80% of feedback when they advertise on media is negative, and rightly so. Im slowly migrating to another vendor whom provides as much features without costly subscriptions for such, upgrades their app and fw regularly without incident and is proactive in listening and supporting customer feedback. In my tech industry its seen as values, clearly Arlo have not recognised the importance in todays world. Good luck to all, im over having a security system I cannot rely on and will ensure every consumer knows it.

MattBradford
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB5000 hub just stopped recording yesterday; It used to work fine, with no subscription, but now it's just stopped making recordings.  Just like everyone else in this thread.  Coincidentally, yesterday I started getting notices that there's a new version of the app.  Could these things be related?