Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra2 Camera Kit setup via Mobile Hotspot?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Farris2k
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I haven't purchased the kit yet, because i've had issues in the past with other home security systems. The problem i've had is that there is a communication barrier between my mobile hotspot setup, and the servers that do the setup for the system. My network is as follows:

Netgear Nighthawk Mobile Hotspot MR1100 using ATT Cell Service that's connected via Ethernet to a ASUS WRT based Router.

So I have all the connections required via documentation to run the system, but I just need to know if there's going to be an issue with the servers communicating with my network when needed for activation because it's a mobile hotspot that doesn't have a static ip. Just for example, there's not issue when using google or amazon type services. They somehow find my devices inside my network from outside the network just fine, but some other services just fail, and those other services so far have been home security systems. Hence the inquiry. I want to buy the 3 camera kit with the hub, and a doorbell, if that matters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Farris2k
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just for more information. I only care about setup/activation. Once setup is complete, I don't care if I can't view cameras via the app from outside my network. That would be nice, but if I can only view logs and live video from inside my network, then that would suffice. Again, this is where the other home security systems have failed me. Inability to communicate with devices inside my network for the sake of activation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

This should work ok, just connect the base to the Asus router via ethernet.

The dynamic IP address of the hotspot isn't an issue - FWIW, the WAN addresses of almost all home routers is also dynamic.

You are double-routing (since the hotspot and the ASUS are back-to-back), but I do that with my landline internet service, and have no problem with Arlo.  

I've also run a brief test with an Arlo base connected to T-mobile's 5G internet service, and had no problems with it.

silverfern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good day,

Do you use Inseego MiFi hotspot to connect to T-mobile 5G? I can't get my Arlo Pro 4 cameras to activate on my Arlo account when using the MiFi hotspot. They do activate and function when I connect to my home WiFi. The Pro 4 cameras appear in the list of connected devices on the hotspot, but the cameras do not activate on my Arlo account.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@silverfern wrote:

Do you use Inseego MiFi hotspot to connect to T-mobile 5G?

No, I'm using the Nokia gateway.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation