Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

@PGalore come on.  Most of us wouldn’t make a post unless we knew what we weee talking about.

Live streaming works just fine remotely (away from the same network as cameras/hub).  But access to SD card stored clips will NOT connect.  It worked FINE prior to ARLO intentionally turning it off.

pretty pointless.  You get a notification that there’s motion in your living room but can NOT access to clip to see if you need to call the authorities.

Fix the issue Arlo and STOP trying to scam people into subscribing 

Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Dlongo if they don’t fix the remote viewing as it was before by WEDNESDAY (I’ll be lenient) I’ll be starting one Thursday.

I already took a HUGE position shorting NYSE:ARLO .  Going to make a fortune watching this company demise into bankruptcy.

CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

Remember to check your ports in port forwarding on your router because the ports will refresh sometimes after a master reset or possibly may have been accidentally changed when troubleshooting. If that doesn't work then refresh the ports within the app and make necessary changes to your router.  Hopefully this helps.

billyt01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nevermind. It started working now. Thanks!

Drew411
Aspirant
Aspirant

After a third reboot, my system is functioning properly. 

Jozwiak
Initiate
Initiate

Great support and attention from arlo,  I wanted to share with everyone and confirmed on my end the recent fix that was pushed on the morning of 12/17 has solve the local recording issue completely. 

thank you!

Garlic2022
Star
Star

Same problem,  I have had system for 2 years and it appears that the  recording issue problems comes up occasionally, this is 3rd time for me. I am relying on blind faith that this will be fixed until then my system is useless and their website does not advise on the issue.

Whether it is intention on Arlo's part to get people to pay for their online services,  I don't know.  However I have advised others who are looking for a security system to look at other system that have a better track record. I can not recommend this system since provides inconsistent security. I removed it from  a bankng machine room at commercial bldg that I manage since it provides false sense of security and cannot not be relied upon for investigation  matters.

Big disappointment, cameras are good but software needs better qualified  programmers to make system more dependable.

If there is a class action suit, I want in.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can only assume this does not work for VMB4000 series Base stations. I've been down that road with mine several days ago and again this morning. No change. Pro4 camera still does not record locally or show recordings in library/local storage. 

Bobverick
Aspirant
Aspirant

A soon as Arlo knew this was an issue, registered owners/users should have been notified that there was a problem. I didn’t figure it out until I went to check my camera recordings after something was stolen out of my truck. The one moment I needed reliable equipment and Arlo failed. Arlo 0, crappy people 1. 

Thiggon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not having any luck with this update as a solution. My 5000v4 is up to date with the recent patch, but is cycling between solid blue and slow flashing amber. Cameras still accessible, still getting notifications of motion detection. 

CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

Try rebooting your router. After the update I had to do that. Also may try a hard reset on the back of the base station with a small paper clip. Push in and count to 15 or 20 I think. It's annoying but it should work for you. 

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

After doing all the updates deleting all my cameras then adding them back in no cameras are recording video or sending alerts. Currently on the same home with support and they do not know what the issue is. 

Anyone had this issue?  This is terrible 

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

After doing all the updates deleting all my cameras then adding them back in no cameras are recording video or sending alerts. Currently on the same home with support and they do not know what the issue is. 

Anyone had this issue?  This is terrible 

dz-015
Aspirant
Aspirant

This has resolved the issue. The current firmware is installed and now all cameras are recording as before.

Thank you.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

"Anyone had this issue?  This is terrible" 

Welp, there are approx, 470 posts on this issue, so Yes. Many "Anyones" have had this issue. At least after trying one more time (FOR THE LAST F***ING TIME) factory reset my VMB4000, remove then add all my cameras, restart my PC, Phone, install Arlo app again, I'm getting notifications for that my Pro4 camera "motion detected". Anything in the Library? The USB drive? Hell no. All the Pro and Pro 2 cameras are still working flawlessly.

Since Dec. 10th, I calculate I have wasted 30 hours of my valuable time trying to figure out a fix for a Pro4 camera that worked perfectly with my Base Station and as of that date has not. 

I would be FINE with this bull*hit if Arlo would simply state, "Even though your Pro4 camera worked perfectly during the trial period, you did not activate your subscription before or after the trial subscription on your Pro4 ended, therefore, you get...nothing."

I could live with that. Seriously. I could then send this thing off to Ebay or set in on my driveway with a "Free. Take it and do with it as you wish. It'll make a great paperweight." sign.

Lorraine5711
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nope not fixed yet I'm afraid.  We have restarted, rebooted and our firmware is up to date with no updates available. This is the firmware we have Arlo SmartHub - VMB5000 - 1.20.4.1_1373_d606780

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

For those who care to read, here is my journey since this Firmware issue raised its ugly head.  You may also pick up a few bits of information if you are still struggling to get your system back to where it once was.

• My system is a Pro 3 with base and three cameras
  • Through this forum I got and used a Promo code for six month subscription at 75% off or $2.5 per month.  Prior to this I did not have a subscription and viewed my videos from my USB drive attached to base unit 
  • Did the firmware update to base station
  • Noting worked after the firmware update - no motion alerts and no recordings either cloud or on USB Drive
  • Using my subscription call support today for help.  Over three hours on the phone with a lady who barely spoke English, told me to do things that did not make sense and instructed me to click on things that did not exist.  It was like she was making it up on the fly.  After two hours of this she put me on hold to ask for help.
  • The ultimate solution was to do hard reset on the base unit, by pressing the reset button on the back of the base unit by inserting a paperclip.  This did a hard reset and deleted my base station and all cameras from the ARLO software
  •   Next step was to rebuild the system just like a first time install.  Finding and adding the base unit then all three cameras.  None of the cameras were found automatically by the software.  I had to find them manually by taking the each camera out of the base and pressing the SYNC button
  • One by one they all came online with motion sensing and video that I could see in the cloud

Issues with the new ARLO Software APP I have found

• They completely re-did the look and feel of the software so nothing is where it used to be
  • It is way to complicated with to many steps to get to were you want to go assuming you can even find what you are looking for 
  • The "Position Your Camera"  where you are to "position your camera such that triggering events will occur within the non-shadowed portion of the frame" is only available when you first install the camera or have the software find the camera.  No longer an option in the camera menu to make adjustments.  So if you don't get it right the first time you have to remove the camera from the software and re-configure it or add it back into the software.  NUTS!!!
  • If you have a subscription your cloud videos can be viewed in the "Feed" section of the software.  No longer can you toggle back and forth between cloud videos and local stored videos
  • To view my videos from my USB is now a multi-step process
    • From inside the ARLO APP click on the blue person icon in the upper left corner
    • Click on the "HOME" menu option
    • Click on the "Devices" menu option
    • Click on the "Base Station" option or what ever you named your base unit during setup
    • Click on "Storage Settings"
    • Your Local Stored videos are listed here - MAKES TOTAL SENCE RIGHT?  OMG

Like for many of you this has been madness and I have put in 20+ hours since this all began.  Next system will definitely not be an ARLO

Hope your system is up and running now.  I was the first one to start this string and maybe the last to end it.  ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS!!

Garlic2022
Star
Star

I rebooted DECEMBER 18,  2022 worked great BUT DECEMBER 19 it is down again, cannot retreive local recordings

Garlic2022
Star
Star

System is USELESS again ...PLEASE HIRE BETTER PROGRAMMERS...THIS SITUATION IS TOTALLY FRUSTRATING AND UNCALLED FOR.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Garlic2022 wrote:

System is USELESS again

Arlo pushed firmware out over the weekend to address the local storage issue.

If you are still experiencing it, try restarting your smarthub.

Garlic2022
Star
Star

Thanks, I did all that on Sunday the 18th and it worked.. Then this early Monday  morning when I tried...it didnt work..lets see what happens now.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

To Garlic2022 -  I posted this yesterday.  Give it a try if you have not already done so.

• The ultimate solution was to do hard reset on the base unit, by pressing the reset button on the back of the base unit by inserting a paperclip.  This did a hard reset and deleted my base station and all cameras from the ARLO software
  •   Next step was to rebuild the system just like a first time install.  Finding and adding the base unit then all three cameras.  None of the cameras were found automatically by the software.  I had to find them manually by taking the each camera out of the base and pressing the SYNC button
  • One by one they all came online with motion sensing and video that I could see in the cloud

Issues with the new ARLO Software APP I have found

• They completely re-did the look and feel of the software so nothing is where it used to be
  • It is way to complicated with to many steps to get to were you want to go assuming you can even find what you are looking for 
  • The "Position Your Camera"  where you are to "position your camera such that triggering events will occur within the non-shadowed portion of the frame" is only available when you first install the camera or have the software find the camera.  No longer an option in the camera menu to make adjustments.  So if you don't get it right the first time you have to remove the camera from the software and re-configure it or add it back into the software.  NUTS!!!
  • If you have a subscription your cloud videos can be viewed in the "Feed" section of the software.  No longer can you toggle back and forth between cloud videos and local stored videos
  • To view my videos from my USB is now a multi-step process
    • From inside the ARLO APP click on the blue person icon in the upper left corner
    • Click on the "HOME" menu option
    • Click on the "Devices" menu option
    • Click on the "Base Station" option or what ever you named your base unit during setup
    • Click on "Storage Settings"
    • Your Local Stored videos are listed here - MAKES TOTAL SENCE RIGHT?  OMG
Thiggon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ugh. In the end I had to hard reset the base station, then manually re-sync all the cameras. After all that, still no recording. Then I hard closed and re-opened the app one last time on my iPhone (yes, I had tried that too before the hard reset) and FINALLY, everything seems to be working with local recording again. What a mess, but up and running again it seems. 

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

To Thiggon -  Where do you see you local stored recordings?  In the "Feed" tab or someplace else in the ARLO APP?  Thanks.

DRome
Initiate
Initiate

I am not able to access my local memory.