Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
DuckingArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Restarted base stations thru the Arlo app today. Cameras and base station function appears to have returned to normal, that is prior to upgrade of subject Arlo app build. Appears Arlo released and pushed the build without sufficient testing - again. Please stop p*ssing off your customers. Reference: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra-2/No-longer-recording-locally-as-of-last-night/m-p/1891092#...

BigBearGma
Tutor
Tutor

Unplug base station for 30 seconds then restart, there's a firmware update that will install. Did this earlier today & cameras are back to recording to USB drive.

Brode
Tutor
Tutor

Hi.  Until about 5 days ago, I was able to view recordings captured by my Arlo Pro 3 cameras and saved on a SD card plugged into my Arlo SmartHub on my phone's Arlo app.  I can no longer view any recordings as of about 5 days ago.  I see in my Arlo app a choice of SmartHub or Cloud in the Library setting.  Used to be, I could toggle to my SmartHub and view my Library of recordings saved on my SD card.  I checked the SD card and it has plenty of space remaining.  I still see in my Arlo app in the Library setting the choice of my SmartHub or Cloud.  But, I can no longer view any recordings.  For what's its worth, a few days before this all happened, I recall seeing a notification on my phone to update my Arlo app.  I don't recall accepting that update and activating it, but maybe it did update on its own.  The app running on my phone is: Arlo Secure, v 4.0.2 (5309) released Dec 6, 2022 (which is right around the time when I lost the ability to view videos saved to my SD card in my SmartHub on my Arlo app).

I would like to resume being able to view videos saved to my SD card in my SmartHub on my Arlo app.  Help please?

Brode
Tutor
Tutor

I have a similar issue.  Around the same time that my Arlo app seems to have updated to version 4.0.2 (5309) Released Dec 6, 2022, I lost the ability to view recorded videos on the Library Setting of my Arlo app that are saved on a SD card plugged into my Arlo SmartHub.

I wonder if this was a forced update to the Arlo Secure app, which caused us to lose the ability to view "locally" saved recordings?  Is this a means for Arlo to drive us to pay for Cloud storage?  It's unfair and deceptive, especially because there was zero advance notice of this change.

Lorraine5711
Aspirant
Aspirant

No recordings since Arlo update December 13th. Not one recording has been made. We have rebooted absolutely everything, signed off and on again, checked every thing is working correctly but NOTHING. We are getting notifications about events but NOTHING is being recorded. We even formatted the micro SD card of 60GB and still nothing. Please FIX as this only started after the firmware update 5 days ago. This is the update that changed the Arlo Icon. When you spend this much money on a security system I expect better. And whilst I'm here maybe someone can explain why, when we are out we CANNOT see any events that we've been notified about. Refresh the screen and nothing loads....

Cordula
Star
Star

I tried several times but it doesn't give the update., Flashing orange for 1/2hr now

CIREMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everyone!!!!Please try to restart your Ultra Base Station!!!!....Mine is recording now and i can see and view recording  locally.

Note: Notification still not working......and but i don't received notification of the alert....

------>>>>>>Recording Fixed after restarted Base station from Apps. 

------>>>>>>Notification not working!!!

JamesC ----> thanks to you and to your tech  for fixing this

BUT  still need help ----->>>>>NOTICATION NOT YET WORKING!!!!! 

WilliamZh
Aspirant
Aspirant

my local recording is fixed after rebooting the base station this morning (12/17). It seems the firmware is updated automatically after re-start.

Wyseguy
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the heads up BigBearGma.  I rebooted this evening (Dec. 17) & had success.  Activity is now recording & available for viewing!  Thanks again!!

PBETTENCOURT
Tutor
Tutor

@billyt01 contact support; they will have you unplug the system and plug it back in. They will have you disconnect the ethernet cable for 30 seconds and plug it back in. they will have you make sure local storage is active. And maybe your system will start recording. That is what happened with mine tonight. Oh, I did restart the base station from the app as well. 

This would have been much smoother had Arlo been forthcoming with a possible issue and asked people to report any issues with the recording. Mine was down for five days, and I blamed phone updates like most everyone. Well, come to find out, it was not; it was Arlo.  

hdoINcali
Aspirant
Aspirant

@PGalore I might have found out the culprit — location setting. Previously during setting up process with the new Arlo Secure App version 4.0.2, I left the address blank by selecting “maybe later”. I moved on with adding smarthub and the cameras. I just went back and put in the address in location and in the storage settings start showing all the recordings. So my solution was to put in an address, doesn’t need to be a real one, just something on the address line, then state and zip. I switch off wifi and still am able to view my lical recordings using cellular via prt forwarding.  Also I found out the tab “Feed” is used for cloud recordings and other things but local recordings. 

Thanks. 

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

@hdoINcali 

That's interesting. My Arlo Secure app 4.0.2 never asked for my address. Does the address field only show up during the setting up process when you're adding the hub and cameras?  Or maybe that's not available in Australia.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was another glitch in the system introduced by the latest software.  This could be due to my ISP restricting port forwarding though.

Cordula
Star
Star

Totally deceptive and I'm looking for class action lawsuit.

YsB
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you James for this update. Our system is back and functioning.

Two things that are annoying:

1) Why updates/upgrades submitted from ARLO straight into our devices, are done without our consent? 

This policy of ARLO is NOT accepted, we as owners of our devices, demand to approve any change before it is done.

2) The last 6 days we were unprotected, our properties were under risk and therefore, we legitimately deserve compensation for that. We brought this up before , but have not seen yet any response from ARLO.  We are expecting to be compensated for this frustrating period. 

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

@hdoINcali 

Never mind.  My port forwarding wasn't working because my ISP is using CGNAT.  

I requested to opt out of it and now it's working.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There were firmware updates pushed to fix this problem a couple days ago.  Check that you are running 1.20.4.1_1311_d606780 on the base.

Either way, also try restarting the base.  If the firmware isn't the latest, the restart might trigger the update.  Even if it is the latest, I have seen some posts from folks saying that they needed to restart to get the feature working again.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Brode wrote:

I would like to resume being able to view videos saved to my SD card in my SmartHub on my Arlo app.  Help please?

It was a firmware bug and should be fixed now.  Check that you are running the most recent firmware for your base.

Also, try restarting it, and see if that helps.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It should be fixed now.  Check that you are running the most recent firmware for your base.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@billyt01 wrote:

A few days ago any new videos stopped being shown in my app. I still get the notifications from the app and can view the cameras live, but the videos no longer update with the new alerts. 

It's a bug - Arlo says they are investigating. 

It should be fixed now.  Check that you are running the most recent firmware for your base.

DiDiDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same.  Arlo team said they are working on it. I spoke to them 2 days ago

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DiDiDi wrote:

Same.  Arlo team said they are working on it. I spoke to them 2 days ago

billyt01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried disconnecting the ethernet cord for 30 sec and removing the power and restarting and neither worked. Firmware is 1.20.4.1_1311_d606780 so it looks like its the most up to date. Still having the same issue.

DiDiDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just checked and it’s working!

CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

Update everyone!  There's a new firmware update for the VMB500r6 - 1.20.4.1_1373_d606780

You MAY have to master reset your base station and re-add your cameras back but try and update before doing so.  My SD card was not the problem at least for now... I'm still wondering what will happen once I reach my 30 day mark as I still haven't got a 30 day "rolling" view in my library with direct storage access enabled. Still using a 1tb SD card but bought a 512gb pro plus Samsung (MB-MD512KA).

amartin
Guide
Guide

Found the issue with the new firmware.

it seems the new firmware had the Direct Storage Access disabled.  So now that it's reenabled with the latest firmware, I can record and view.