Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Ccmp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoiler
I restarted but nothing worked. I unplugged my ethernet cable, waited a few minutes and plugged back in and voila, update applied. My next step would have been to restart my router. I am so glad it worked. Was almost ready to return my complete Arlo system and was researching an alternative.
LoserCard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Issue is resolved on VMB4540 firmware 1.20.4.1_1311 after base station restart.

amartin
Guide
Guide

@JamesC rebooted, got the latest firmware, but it's still not working

Cordula
Star
Star

As is the system is useless with NO library recording. $600+ wasted. And the new interface doesn't make sense. Why new interface when Arlo doesn't fix the software program/problem.

Gutarl
Guide
Guide

James,

I want to thank you as the issue seems solved but as mentioned I did restart my system and had a few hours of camera notifications without and recording.  At this moment my system (at least 2 cameras seem OK.

as an engineer, I would recommend that Arlo explain the importance to your engineers to test thoroughly and ALWAYS have a backup plan. At the very least revert to the last working option.   I’ve had times where I spent 36-48 hours in a mfg site to address an issue caused by me, another department or God as the site could not run without my department functioning.

Thanks,

Sam

cattor
Aspirant
Aspirant

For the last a few days, there's no recordings on the base from any cameras. I am still getting notifications and a snapshot, but no new recordings are available. I have had the cameras a long time and have done all the trouble shooting tips. 

I feel it's the new app update that messed it up.

TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

I have a VMB4540 SmartHub.  I restarted the SmartHub and it updated the firmware.  My cameras are back online and the recordings are being recorded locally and can view them.  It took about 10 to 15 minutes after the restart of SmartHub to be able to view the recordings again.  Thank you to the people who responded to my questions!!

cattor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem from the same date.

BigBearGma
Tutor
Tutor

My cameras are now recording to USB drive again following this mornings firmware update. 

Rdcurry1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, both of my Arlo base stations stopped recording to my local usb storage drives on 12/13/22, I’ve restarted 3 times and still not saving videos to my local drive.. what can be done to fix this?.. thank you in advance 

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

You may need to edit the Standby Mode so there is a rule for each camera to record on motion. 

ed2028
Star
Star

@Rdcurry1 

From my understanding, time can vary the until the firmware updates. Some users said 15-30 minutes maybe after restart. And just maybe verify that cameras are armed and there is some movement to trigger the recording.

Spike0341
Aspirant
Aspirant

How long do we have to wait after the update? It's been 15 minutes now and still no recordings. 

Michael_Hull
Guide
Guide

All  three of my hubs are working successfully.

Here is what I did:

- Using the smartphone app, selected hub 1 > Device Info and displayed the firmware level - was the bad version.  Tapped the firmware name, and got the response "no updates available" - my guess is that the update is not marked as needed immediately, so the hub is not in a rush to do anything.

- Went to the Hub display, scrolled to the bottom, and hit RESTART.

- After a minute or two with the Hub indicator light flashing amber, it went to blue.  Once the app re-synchronized, the Hub  display showed a triangle symbol on the Device Info line.  Tapped that and the Firmware line showed a triangle.  Tapped that and the display indicated that a new firmware was available and asked if I wanted to install. Indicated yes, and the install started, with the Hub indicator light flashing amber/blue, then amber, and then blue.  

- Once the app re-synchronized, I displayed the firmware level - a new level shown (1.20.4.1_1311_d606780).

- Armed all the devices on the hub, walked to a camera which was in a dark area, and the spotlight came on. Checked the app, and it showed the camera recording.

- Once recording stopped, used the app to eject the USB device.  Inserted the USB device into my PC, and happiness - the recording is on the  USB device!

Since I have three hubs, I started the same process on the other two.  Perhaps I took longer to get the process started because neither went through the step of asking did I want to install the new firmware, they just did it.  After the other two hubs completed the update, I did the same check - arm, trigger, eject, check the USB device.  I am very happy because all the USB devices had a recorded video.

Gutarl
Guide
Guide

James,

as an update, the system still seems a bit glitchy as I just walked around my house.  1 camera previously working now offline yet closest to both my wifi and base station, 2nd camera fine, 3rd camera partially functional and noticed me but recorded +/- 1 sec of a 5 second intrusion, camera 4 an Arlo pro 4 XL no image.  Cameras except #3 are all pro 4 XL, 3 is an essential camera.

Thanks,

sam

Gutarl
Guide
Guide

BTW, as I mentioned before I had a few hours of notification but no video AFTER restarting the base station so others may experience the same.

sam

jasdip
Guide
Guide

Partial success.  Now seeing local storage recordings again with latest base station firmware, but both Pro 3 Floodlight cameras are shown as offline following base station reboots.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo released firmware to fix this yesterday and today.  You can get the firmware version numbers here:

and then see if you have that version.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo released firmware to fix this yesterday and today.  You can get the firmware version numbers here:

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Glad its fixed.  As you can see by this thread theres alot of people pissed.  We would expect better than this from ARLO. I believe this is the 3rd bad “ update”  that was essential to the system in 3yrs of owning it.  Who knows if there were others? And it doesn’t say much for ARLO customer service or not COMMUNICATING & INFORMING us about the glitch.  ARLO should have placed us ALL on a FREE temporary plan until it was fixed. Knowingly sneaking it by us is fraud. The answer is not “ if u subscribe at a discount, it works”. That is ridiculous.  Why would that make me subscribe??  Not to mention that I have lost alot of confidence in ARLO being secure. If ya cant get the

”updates” right what makes ya think our videos and live cameras are secure? 

Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did the new firmware also fix the ability to view recordings on the hub remotely (only locally works on the same Wi-Fi network)?

or is this something you also disabled trying to force people to subscribe to the cloud?

will we need a thousand more people bombarding you to get this corrected to?

MN-Cherry
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. I've restarted base station and recording has started. All looks OK.

AJC3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Saw info on ARLO FACEBOOK GROUP that fix was implemented. Recycled power on base and appears to be corrected (12/17/22 5:55PM EST). Thanks ARLO!!

cdr1320
Aspirant
Aspirant

No video files available after Dec 13, notifications and live video OK.  re-started everything etc but no luck on anything