Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Richww - got it.  thanks!

Ccmp
Aspirant
Aspirant

All is working now thanks to the fix. All the wasted time and effort put into this, and most importantly, the loss of recordings. But, at least it only took 5 day! In my app I see an offer for one month of Arlo Secure for free but when I check out, it doesn't discount. Is this the free month @JamesC  refers too? I'd also sign up for $2.50/month but the promo code doesn't work so hoping @JamesC can PM me about too. Thanks.

JJ_Strings
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! I downloaded the firmware and once I restarted my VMB5000, I am how getting videos locally. 🙂

Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

Darn!

ARLO was trading at $11.79 just 9 months ago and now down to just $3.23
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Wish they tried this then.
Oh well..... still lots to be made on the Short.

I wonder if the local storage will continue to work after they go out of business in 2023?

garys333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here,  seems to have started about the time the app changed its appearance.

garys333
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's when mine stopped also.

ed2028
Star
Star

It started working again with the new firmware. I just hope Arlo will learn from this and either test more before releasing new firmware or just give us the option to downgrade. 5 days is too long for a security system to be down. And be more transparent when there are these kind of issues. I can just imagine the number of people who will discover in a few months that they are missing days of recordings. 

garys333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't hold your breathe.  This is my 3rd set of Arlo devices, and have. been told before they were working on something but never have seen any fix for any issue.  Looking for different system, and not Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RW11756 wrote:

Pro4XL Camera video is not being saved to the Smart Hub [WMB4540] since the latest Arlo Secure software update earlier this week to version 4.0.2.1_28506. All Arlo Pro4XL Cameras [3] devices have been paired with the Smart Hub.  I have reformatted the Smart Hub storage device and cleared the Arlo Secure cache.  Is it possible to roll back the earlier version of Arlo Secure?  

It's a bug that Arlo says they are working on.  My understanding is that it is firmware, so it's not the app version.

RW11756
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, video was not being saved locally to the SmartHub WMB4540 since 12-13-22.  Confidence in Arlo is not good. 

Denny1919
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station is updated to the new firmware and my local storage is still not working...

I have VMB5000r5

garys333
Aspirant
Aspirant

From what I can see on the Arlo homepage, if you don't subscribe to one of the services, you can now only view live events, no more recording.

Gortney
Star
Star

The problem has been resolved for me - my smart hub automatically downloaded a fix and is recording to local storage again. Appreciate all the work JamesC did to get this issue resolved in a timely manner (I was expecting many more days or even weeks) 

but I did waste probably 6 hours of my life that I’ll never get back .. 🤣

ArloUser3333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Me too. No more recordings after the last update. Cameras work in live mode but trigger often on motion (as in--a few seconds apart, over and over). It was all working fine until the last update. I've checked, and no new updates to fix this are available. I record locally with the USB stick. Have rebooted and re-logged in and all that.

Hub:

Firmware      1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8
Hardware     VMB4540r2s

Doorbell:
Firmware      1.17.0.0_1407_6f0b9c9_1c1a749
Hardware     1.2

Camera:
Firmware      1.060.12.2_6_fd2b14a
Hardware     H9
ArloUser3333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, is there any way to downgrade the software to a working version? As a security product, we need that ability for this exact situation.

JenMic
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMB4540r3 Smart Hub. Since Arlo update on 12/12/22 I see no new recordings in my library (local storage). I can still access and downloaded recordings prior to update. Flash drive set to overwrite oldest recordings when 80% full. I still get camera alerts and can access camera live images via the app. Checked all router and Arlo hub settings (port numbers match and status = Available ) and rebooted hub and router several times. All software and firmware updated. 

TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

Gortney - What do I need to do to get the local recordings to work again?  It is still not working for me.

ed2028
Star
Star

@TeresaFitz just restart the hub. Either from the app or unplug and replug and wait a few minutes. And also check that the cameras are armed.

TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

I am not physically with the SmartHub or cameras.  During the restart of SmartHub from the app, do the cameras go offline and then come back online?

tgstaples
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue with my VMB4540 base station.  Restarting the base station by unplugging the power, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in fixed the issue.

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@TeresaFitz 

Yes. During the Smart Hub restart the connection to the cameras is lost, but will reestablish when the Smart Hub is back up.

fmustang
Aspirant
Aspirant

My firmware will not update. It still shows the old firmware. I’ve restarted and it says my firmware is up-to-date. But not the case still the old firmware? Please advise.

fmustang
Aspirant
Aspirant

No it did not update. And seems to refuse to update.

TexasG
Guide
Guide

I have updated the firmware to the new version but there is no change.  I cannot see past recordings.  I can't see any new recordings and the manually record button / snapshot button is still missing.

Ghost32
Initiate
Initiate

I don't subscribe to your service, therefore I am "not authorized" to chat with a human.  By the looks of this chat stream you broke hundreds of systems that were working fine.  Stop updating firmware and leave our systems alone or how about next time you break it and are aware that you broke it send me an email and tell me how to fix it instead of unknowingly not recording security footage for a week and not telling me.  This is extremely frustrating and a waste of my time.