Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
dz-015
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of 12/13/2022, my VMB5000r4 base station with firmware VMB5000r4 is no longer recording any video from my 4 ultra cameras.  I have tried:

• restarting
  • rebooting
  • factory reset

Still no recordings! Any ideas on what happened and how to correct?

AJC3
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Base Station has worked perfectly for months and months since purchase. Motion triggers a local recording which I can access via my iPhone when on WiFi (I do not have a subscription). However I noticed today that as of 12/14, all motion recordings halted and I can not seem to get it to work. It appears is the ARLO APP update (4.0.2) from 3 days ago is the culprit (I doubt this is a coincidence). Anyone else having this issue? I have tried all of the recommendations and still no luck getting recordings. Motion alerts are working fine and I can review all videos prior to 12/14, but nothing recording since. PLEASE HELP!!

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Promo Code for six months at $2.50 per month or 75% Off

So I used this promo code and it works.  Back on-line.  One thing that is different then before with the old software version is you can only view videos from the cloud.  Before you had the option to view the videos from the cloud or local storage.  My USB drives says it is storing the videos there as well, but you can not view from the USB from the ARLO APP.  Also when using the website the videos have not shown up there.  Can only see the videos from my iPhone or iPad APP.  For $2.5 a month I will go with this for now as I have that change in my pocket everyday.

Promo Code    =    arlsecusswmgarrm

Ppokerfface
Aspirant
Aspirant

Images stopped being stored in my library after I upgraded Arlo software. I’ve tried reformatting my USB drive and also powered down Arlo unit to reboot. Still images aren’t saved to my library. Arlo cameras do detect motion

UpNorth61
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings:

My Arlo Ultra 2 system has stopped recording videos to the micro SD cards in my 2 base stations.  This happened suddenly 4 days ago.  I don't use the cloud storage.  I have tried the following:

*  Reloaded the App

* Deleted and re-added a camera

* Reset the 2 base stations

* Reformatted the SD cards

* Toggled off/on the option to Record Locally

It is rather odd that it happened to 2 base stations at the same time.  The App states that no videos are on the cards and I've verified this by removing the cards and reading the contents on my computer.

The option to record video when motion is detected is enabled, and has been for months.  Motions are still being detected, and I receive notifications on them.  However, nothing is being recorded.

I have the Arlo Ultra 2 cameras with 2 base stations.  The firmware on the cameras and base stations are up to date.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Vsopete
Aspirant
Aspirant

After a firm ware update the cameras are now recording to the base station again.

Disappointing that they never sent out a group email to advise people that the problem  had been resolved.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware fix for this issue is now available. Please restart your Base Station/SmartHub to receive the update. It may take a few minutes after the restart for your system to complete the firmware installation.

Alternatively, you will automatically receive the firmware update overnight.

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue.

Firmware version with the fix (reference your base station/SmartHub model VMBXXXX)

VMB5000-1.20.4.1_1373_d606780
VMB4540-1.20.4.1_1311_d606780
VMB4500-1.20.4.1_4079_d606780
VMB4000-1.20.4.1_4214_d606780

JamesC

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

Thanks James, problem seems to be corrected. I am able to access local recordings once again.

Andy

RW11756
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pro4XL Camera video is not being saved to the Smart Hub [WMB4540] since the latest Arlo Secure software update earlier this week to version 4.0.2.1_28506. All Arlo Pro4XL Cameras [3] devices have been paired with the Smart Hub.  I have reformatted the Smart Hub storage device and cleared the Arlo Secure cache.  Is it possible to roll back the earlier version of Arlo Secure?  

Ghost32
Initiate
Initiate

I also have this issue and it is not resolved.  Restarted 4 times.  I purchased this system with the commitment that I could record without a subscription to USB and review video locally.  If you change your business model that is fine with me, but you should not force customers who purchased from you with the prior business model.  The fact that there was no notification or automatic repair of this issue is frustrating and I feel very mislead.  Any ideas on how to fix it or is my only option to pay for your subscription?

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

After rebooting base station and waiting a few minutes, my local  recordings are now available.

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@Ghost32 

check your firmware version. Has the new firmware been downloaded & installed after your restart?

jeffOHIO
Initiate
Initiate

In the future, we expect communication of an issue before we spend hours troubleshooting. This was a complete disaster. Fail. 

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks @JamesC same here, local recordings are now available for different cameras and doorbell that are associated with the hub.  

mickdc
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the reimbursement process for those of us that had to buy a subscription in order for this to be functional as advertised?

@JamesC 

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

After reboot, my firmware is: 1.20.4.1_1311_d606780. Unfortunately, I did not write down the version before the update.

LJohnFlorence
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have had our Arlo for at least two years now, and recently it stopped recording.  Our last motion-activated recording was on December 12 of 2022.  It was about the same time the Arlo icon changed.  Our friends that live locally are having the same problem and it happened at the same time.  We don't have a subscriptions, but the recordings just go to our base station.  I've done the troubleshooting and everything in our app seems to be set the way it should be, so I am confident it is an Arlo issue related to a recent "upgrade" or change they made.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billyt01 wrote:

A few days ago any new videos stopped being shown in my app. I still get the notifications from the app and can view the cameras live, but the videos no longer update with the new alerts. 

It's a bug - Arlo says they are investigating. 

louminaughty
Initiate
Initiate

I have a VMB5000r5.  Rebooted and picked up firmware 1.20.4.1_1373_d606780 and local recording with no subscription is now working again.  Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rjshelden wrote:

SD card records on base station. Historical videos are visible on the app. Also, getting notifications that new videos have recorded but not showing in App Library. 

It's a bug - Arlo says they are investigating.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jbowser wrote:

Thanks @StephenB  what’s bizarre is I signed up for the subscription as setup is useless if not recording, and all of a sudden it’s working. I just hope this isn’t a way to drive subscriptions.

FWIW, I have a subscription, and direct access continued to work for me. 

@JamesC confirmed it is just a bug, and that Arlo is working on it.

TexasG
Guide
Guide

During this process Arlo support had me change my app by clicking on adding a Security System.  It is still not showing recordings and my manual record and snapshot icons are still missing after the firmware upgrade.  How can I roll back to the previous app?

Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is surely the beginning of the END of Arlo.

This was obviously a stunt to unlawfully attempt to people to PAY for a subscription while intentionally removing a feature MOST of us purchased the unit for.

I upgraded my system a year ago.  Was back/forth between Arlo and Eufy.   BOY do I wish I went with Eufy with ZERO monthly fees and integration to Apple's Cloud.

While of course i do not wish anyone had a robbery during this sham, I do!   So they can SUE Arlo and easily collect.
Regardless, just as dumb decisions plagued Bed Bath and Beyond to oblivion, Arlo is next.   You don't do something this stupid unless you are in a financial crisis.  

Time to SHORT Arlo on the NYSE.   I'm going to make a fortune!

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure if others have this problem, but the only thing that still looks odd is that I went into my "rules/mode" and under the rules for setting "record video" for my cameras that don't have a subscription it still shows an "!" (exclamation point) indicating something is not right.  Again, everything appears to be recording correctly locally.

Richww
Aspirant
Aspirant

@KenC Yup.   That means that camera will not record to the cloud and only locally.
Another feature Arlo took away from us after buying the units that included 7-day cloud storage.