Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
billyt01
Aspirant
Aspirant

A few days ago any new videos stopped being shown in my app. I still get the notifications from the app and can view the cameras live, but the videos no longer update with the new alerts. I use the basestation with a USB and I'm able to still pull up videos prior to when the issue started. Any ideas on how to fix this?

b125
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

I have a VMB4540r3 hub & want a free month subscription, like all others experiencing this local recording problem. No private message option.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

My Arlo system is a few years old. The 2 Pro4 cameras I purchased where to extend coverage. Only those 2 cameras ceased working following the expiration of my Pro4 "trial subscription". Like you, I wanted "control" over my recordings. Last month I shared several with law enforcement due to a crime issue here. I did not, do not wish to pay for a subscription. My original equipment worked well and still does (Pro2s & VMB4000). A temporary "subscription" is not a solution. Giving my financial/credit card information up is not an option or a solution. Receiving a call from Arlo Tech Support is supposed to happen soon after discussing my case number with a live Agent on the phone yesterday. As Tom Petty said, "waiting is the hardest part". Meanwhile, 2 $160 cameras sit here useless.

From James C: "I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue."

Will this "new Firmware" code eliminate the need to have a paid subscription to enable local storage/library viewing of recordings as is the case with pre- Pro 3 cameras? Nothing less than that is a solution. 

I'll update once the Tech calls me. They have my number and I've told Arlo they can call me anytime of the day or night. 

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

k, I just signed up for the promotion cloud offer and IMMEDIATELY my local storage began working! I will cancel now and see what happens. Will keep group posted.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Best of luck to you. 

KYghetto
Tutor
Tutor

I also can't find the PM button to request the cloud promo code.  Looking ahead, is there a way to BLOCK these damn updates?

Thanks!

Randypwalker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not an employee of Arlo just a customer as you are. If you hold your finger on JamesC when it is highlighted in green it will open the private message at least that’s how I got it to open. Then he will help you I also received help from the support team after they opened a case for me it took a couple of days but they did help. Please don’t send me emails to my email address. 
good luck and thank you 

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

I cancelled my subscription but they charged for the first month. I still have local recording and cloud.  I will know on Jan 15 if it breaks again. Hopefully they will update the software by then.  I hope this was an honest mistake and not a willful attempt to get people to sign up for cloud storage plans. 

Andy1975
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine is doing the exact same thing. You would think a “security” company would fully tear updates before releasing them. It’s not security if it doesn’t work!!!

ed2028
Star
Star

@tvl  indeed probably you’re right that it only works once or we need the full link that the Arlo app opened in your browser.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

"Maybe we should all get cloud storage for free until this is fixed?" That's one option.

The other option is "Maybe we should be able to keep local Baste Station, SD, USB" storage without a subscription as many of us did for years. Just spit-balling here. I'm not asking for anything free. I'm simply asking for what I bought originally and still own. I invested $500 in the base station with 2 cameras. Added another camera, 2 spare batteries, stand-alone charging station, camera mounts, extended power cables. It was a substantial investment. If I have to start all over again with a new system, If I am forced into a subscription service, it will be with a different company. 

amartin
Guide
Guide

@tvl why play into their game and give them more money??

@JamesC you going to keep ignoring my PM requesting a refund for the garbage I've purchased.  You know, give others here a timeline of when to expect something would calm the majorly of people down.

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

In my case, it was give them $7 or deal with my wife because she did not feel safe when home alone and no video recordings. When I am home, my cousins (Smith and Wesson) welcome intruders!

jbdexter
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Since update on December 9 our USB direct recording can't be accessed
Gortney
Star
Star

Hey there, I think JamesC has his hands full trying to manage this issue for all of us.. it takes him a while to reply to everyone's PM.. the code he gave me didn't work so I had to PM him back.. after getting on chat support for their help..and after 90 mins we gave up .. it's definitely frustrating.. and super annoying...  try not to let it ruin your day is all. Any yes, I'm still waiting for a new promo code from JamesC 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Oh, I understand 100%. My wife feels the same. Fortunately, we have a few older cameras that were not affected. Our system has enabled law enforcement to enhance their investigation of a few problem individuals.

Also, It is nice to have reliable extended family members should the need arise.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm sure JamesC has a very full plate at the moment.

mickdc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same for me. Signed up for promo & started working. We should get a refund or year free or something on this forced cost

Edw4rd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  No recordings to local storage since 12/13/2022.  Please fix this issue.

ckopec
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unable to find how to send a private message, despite your instructions. Please just post the cloud promo code to fix this Arlo/security issue!

Edw4rd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo - just to be clear, most of your customer invested more than $500 for the security cameras (and solar chargers) with the ability to record locally and without having to pay for subscriptions.  Please fix this or you can always revert back your recent app updates.  Arlo used to have live person customer support, now its bot.    What's happening to your company?  Are you forcing your customers to pay for subscriptions otherwise no recordings?

GOODBIKE
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC Please provide the promo code.

LoserCard
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC My system has been down since 12/12 (after firmware update). I don't see that you have private messages enabled. Could you please provide the 1 month promo to get my system back up and running please until the new firmware is released?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

"It’s across all products is my understanding"

I can verify that MY Pro 2s and VMB4000 series Base station does not have the issue most are talking about. The new Pro 4 cameras I purchased do not save locally to the Base Station or USB. The Pro 2 cameras do...as they always have. I also checked for firmware updates for my base station and cameras. "No updates available."

At this point, should firmware updates become available for my system, I'm going to sit back for a bit and think over very very carefully whether to install them or not. *Once bitten, twice shy*

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yup, same here, VMB4540r3, with Firmware 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8.  Connect to 4 Arlo Pro4 and one Ultra 2.  No longer works since December 12th after update.  This is not cool as I need it for my rental property records.