Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
GCAL
Tutor
Tutor

I just purchased more Arlo cameras a few days back (right around the time the S**t hit the fan so to speak) and once I found out Arlo had screwed us, I went straight back to Costco and returned them today. If this problem doesn't get fixed I will be returning my entire system to Costco within the week even though I've had it for 2 years. I'm not sitting on thousands of wasted dollars and taking that hit because of a POS company that can't support their product and seems to have constant "glitches." Hope Arlo enjoys all the negative publicity they will be getting on all platforms! 

Already have Eufy cameras on order, just saying! 

Rass
Initiate
Initiate

hi 

I could not find the "Send this user a private message" button) to request a temporary subscription.

Enduser1
Aspirant
Aspirant

My device had worked fine but stopped recording the 12th. I didn’t see this thread and tried to reset the device. After that the Arlo software can’t find the device and I have no security system. Don’t remove the smart hub because they can’t figure out how to get it back. 

@JamesC my browser has no pm option for the free month can you send me a new hub under warranty and also a subscription to cloud in case usb recording is not patched?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pythony wrote:

Any technical support could answer that why my Arlo Essential and VMB4540 did not record since 13th Dec 2022?
Any problem in hardware or software?
I have this system running for 10 months only.  Any official announcement for this issue?  Any solution?
Thanks.

If you are using direct access for local storage, then there is a bug that Arlo says they are investigating.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jbowser wrote:

I have had my Arlo Essential Cameras recording to a VMB4540 for the past 14 months, I haven't had a subscription this entire time. All of a sudden, a few days ago they stopped recording. I have restarted router, reset smarthub, removed /added smarthub, removed /added cameras, refreshed port forwarding, changed network cables, deleted and reinstalled app to no avail. Looking for some ideas here. Thanks!

It's a bug - Arlo says they are investigating. 

Jmjm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems like this is an issue across the board for everyone who recently updated the app and do not have a subscription. Same exact thing happened to me. I also tried troubleshooting much the same way you have. So what are we to do? 

jbowser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB  what’s bizarre is I signed up for the subscription as setup is useless if not recording, and all of a sudden it’s working. I just hope this isn’t a way to drive subscriptions.

venturatmkv
Aspirant
Aspirant

I still no notifications and some pictures and video. Additionally subscription are showing as pending..

thank you for you help

Tom Ventura

Rjshelden
Aspirant
Aspirant

SD card records on base station. Historical videos are visible on the app. Also, getting notifications that new videos have recorded but not showing in App Library. 

Badshah59
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

I have a VMB5000г4

Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8. I have 2 Arlo cameras and have been working great for the last 3 years until last week (the latest firmware update). The base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card and I don’t have any subscriptions. 

I would like a free 1-month Arlo Secure promo code (allowing cloud storage) to activate on my system. Can you please send me the promo code for a free 1-month subscription for 2 cameras? 

Thanks in advance

kcranfor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please provide the promo code as you stated below. I have the same issue with my VM4540.

McLovin420
Aspirant
Aspirant

Day 5 of no service and the firmware STILL has NOT been rolled backed!  This is the most asinine security "feature" released yet!  Fix this problem by rolling back NOW!

Oscar-ArloAcc
Initiate
Initiate

I've got the same problem since Dec 12.

No recordings in local storage base station. Cameras still alert motion-detection on my phone. 
Arlo should let users have the option to update their firmware next time. It was working fine before this =.=

arlouser1111
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, no local recordings since the 12th. I missed some critical events as well. Really disappointed in the support options. This has inspired me to switch to another home security option that is more reliable. It sucks since I have 8 cameras and a doorbell but I can't risk having something like this happen again. They should have auto pushed a fix to give people impacted coverage with cloud storage while they fix the big they introduced. This is unacceptable behavior for a product built for home security.

MillyH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue no local recording on my Pro 3 cameras since 14th Dec. My Smart hub firmware 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8

Hardware VMB4540r2

Does anyone know if it's the same issue as on VMB5000 base?

Thanks.

JJ_Strings
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James, I have exactly the same issue. Local recordings stopped streaming on Dec 13. I’ve factory reset base and cams multiple times. 

Can you please send me the free 1 month Cloud version until this is fixed? Thanks.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

It’s across all products is my understanding 

simon0089
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi James I am unable to locate the private message button

hdelgado133
Tutor
Tutor

Maybe we should all get cloud storage for free until this is fixed?

tvl
Tutor
Tutor

Just an update from a user:

I did send JamesC a private message requesting a one month free subscription and he promptly forwarded me a code. Before I could utilize the code this morning, my Arlo app displayed a 75% off discount for 6 months. I figured this might better suit me, therefore I applied. My first 6 months will be only $3.74 each month AND then I can cancel if I decide the full price isn't worth it. So, time will tell!

Anyway, immediately after beginning the new subscription, cloud AND local recording began functioning once again. I'm sure most everyone realizes this would be the case, but I just wanted to pass along my results! Merry Christmas!!!!

TVL

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB5000 just stop recording a few days ago as well. I continue to get notification of activity, but the library shows no new recording. I rebooted my SMARTHub and replaced the SD chip. No change.

The only system change I recall is ARLO ‘s App Update earlier in the week.

The most frustrating part of this issue is the difficulty in getting real ARLO Technical Support help. 

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

ed2028
Star
Star

@tvl Interesting! I didn’t see that offer in my app…

Spike0341
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ours it out as well. What's the timeline on the fix? a week, a month? 

tvl
Tutor
Tutor

ed2028,

It simply appeared when I opened the app and I clicked on the link to get the appropriate information.

I will share the PROMO CODE ....... I've definitely used it, BUT it may no longer be valid after it is used once????????

Promo Code    =    arlsecusswmgarrm