Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@Gortney 

I don’t buy the conspiracy theory!
more likely just someone that either couldn’t provide a 30 day trial or more likely they were unaware of the issue. Unfortunately first line technical support at most companies are not very technical.

I sent @JamesC a PM a few minutes ago. It seems that others were able to get a free trial.

Andy

Slerke
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks to Andrew for info. On finding how to private message JamesC.

Landonman
Tutor
Tutor

PM JamesC and you can get a promo code for one month of Arlo Secure Plus service. I've done it and it's working fine. Still no local storage, but the cloud has me covered for now.

Gortney
Star
Star

Thanks 

I agree 

I also sent James an message asking for a month free cloud 

Gortney
Star
Star

Thanks! 

wa2fast
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro 3 system has been functioning properly for the past year or so...recording videos from my 3 cameras to the USB stick in the base station each day.  Now as of Dec 13th, NO cameras at all will record video to my base memory stick.  I have disassembled the system, updated all components, re-configured everything, re-synched everything, changed to a different USB stick, and still NO cameras will record video.  I logged into the forum here and see that this is a common problem with MANY people and their systems.  I was also foolish enough to think that I could contact Arlo customer support to ask a few questions, but because I do not have a subscription, I am not allowed access to "spoken or live" support.  All I can access is the help offered by the automated assistant on the support section of their web site.  I believe that this is some type of veiled attempt by Arlo to force people to purchase a subscription which would then enable all cameras to again record video.  I bought this system from Costco a few years ago after doing substantial research into similar systems, and bought this one because it did not require a subscription to allow the system to record video. Does anyone have any further insight into this issue, or possible solution?  Thank you!!!!  Signed: Frustrated and deeply disappointed!

jbowser
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had my Arlo Essential Cameras recording to a VMB4540 for the past 14 months, I haven't had a subscription this entire time. All of a sudden, a few days ago they stopped recording. I have restarted router, reset smarthub, removed /added smarthub, removed /added cameras, refreshed port forwarding, changed network cables, deleted and reinstalled app to no avail. Looking for some ideas here. Thanks!

Abas
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, I don't have any  "Send this user a private message" button, but I would still like the code please. 

WilliamZh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem, not recording locally after firmware upgrade. 

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@Abas 

when you click on JamesC username you should see his profile page. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and there is a button to Private Message him.

Andy

Gortney
Star
Star

Check the community board and James has left a message .. with instructions on how to private message him. 

Gortney
Star
Star

Check the community board for a message from James the community manager and he’ll tell you how to private message him for the promo code to get free stowage 

Abas
Tutor
Tutor

I followed his instructions multiple times, and the button wasn't there. Funny though, now I have questioned it, it has magically appeared...exactly where I was expecting it to be previously.

Gortney
Star
Star

So glad to hear I wasn’t the only one who found it challenging .. 

just waiting for my promo code now..

tap, tap .. 

arlm47
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC I dont see the send botton for send a message 

Starmine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any idea when the firmware with the fix will be pushed out?

My Arlo Pro with 3 cameras also stopped recording locally several days ago.  I've spent several nights trying to figure out what was going on and finally decided to search if this is a known issue, and I see that it is. Trying to get the local recording working with my 3 cameras before I leave for vacation.  

p_o_box1
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC no reply privately button for me either.  First post to this community.  Have a vmb5000r5 base with wireless cameras and wired doorbell. Experienced same local storage issue as others on this list. Please send me a arlo secure code so I have coverage while this is being fixed. If private email button shows up after I post this I will send you a private request for a code. 
John

Gortney
Star
Star

Scroll down and look for a green button 

I didn’t see it or it wasn’t there the first few times I tried to find it ..

good luck 

Bjrich01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mike,
I'm having the exact same issue. Can't save any to my hub with connected ssd.  Pro 4 cams with 4540 base (Costco package).  Restarted, reinstalled, batteries, updates, etc. Nothing has worked. Can't get port forwarding to work. Everything prior to a few days ago was working fine. Even port forwarding. I'm in the same boat as you. Come on Arlo. This is the 2nd issue that's came up with no explanation. (Spot light on local wifi with 2k checked won't work).  ARLO....HELP!!!

JK8
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a VB4540r3 w/ firmware 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 base station with 3 Pro 3 cameras. The base station local USB storage have stop recording since December 12. I can do live stream on the camera, get notifications from the cameras and a pic from the notification, but have no recordings to the base station local USB storage. I had rebooted the base station and router multiple times and reformatted the USB storage using the base station. Please help. Thanks
Gortney
Star
Star

Everyone is having the same issue 

arlo is aware and is expecting a fix soon 

JK8
Aspirant
Aspirant
My base station stopped recording too. I have a VB4540r3 w/ firmware 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 base station with 3 Pro 3 cameras. The base station local USB storage have stop recording since December 12. I can do live stream on the camera, get notifications from the cameras and a pic from the notification, but have no recordings to the base station local USB storage. I had rebooted the base station and router multiple times and reformatted the USB storage using the base station. Please help. Thanks
AlexMyers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. I have a VB4540r2. All firmware updated. Stopped working on or after December 12 after two years.

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here.  My neighbor had an issue yesterday and we wanted to review my recordings. That was embarrassing that it didnt record anything. Previous update screwed up the 2k feed recently and is fixed, but now we get this???  Wouldnt  it be more professional of ARLO to WARN AND INFORM EVERYONE ABOUT THE ISSUE? THEN SEND OUT THE CODE TO EVERYONE WITH THE EFFECTED UPDATE? I feel like instead they try to sneak it by us unnoticed. In my case, we found out it didnt record when we needed it. Also spent time going through all settings, restart, drive swap, to find out its due to another bad update. Maybe ARLO should issue a recall? We should not have to private message anyone for a promo code.  It should be automatic PROTOCOL,  as you are in the Home Security Business. Sry so serious but it is.  

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

James' mailbox will be inundated with requests 😄

I didn't ask for the code but he private messaged me the code, so I appreciate that. 

And if you're wondering if this free 1-month sub will override your free trial, don't worry. You can still keep your free trial and only add cameras that don't have any subscription.