Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Randypwalker
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you send a private message to JamesC he will provide you a promo code to get one month free cloud service. To get to his private message hold your finger on his name until the email opens and you’ll see the selection for private message. Ask him for the code and he’ll send it for the $14.99 cloud package it works. 
good luck 

angusmacleod
Aspirant
Aspirant

My experience was slightly different - all my Ultra 2 cameras stopped recording locally, but the doorbell continued recording locally. It is perhaps not coincidental that the Ultra 2 cameras are not on a cloud plan, but the doorbell is, and it still records both locally and to the cloud.

Bgray0114
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem with VMB4540r3, no longer recording locally as 12/13/2022.  Worked fine up to that point but now only receiving motion notifications but no recording.

Arlouser121622
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is exactly what we are experiencing.   If you have subscription plan (trial or paid), it is fine.

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

I received the free 1-month cloud code, but can I use this code for only one of the cameras? The others are still on trial till March.   I don't want this free 1-month subscription to override the existing trial. 

Also those who plan on cancelling after this 1-month free trial expires, cancel it 3-4 days in advance or Arlo will charge you for the next month.  You could contact support for a refund if that happened but it'd be a tremendous waste of time dealing with them.  

tenzen3514
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same problem since 12/13. I get all the alerts but no recordings. 

Went through all the troubleshooting by removing devices, unplugging them from power/removing batteries, only to find out that it was a widespread issue. 😞

I also don't see the option to private message for the free one month subscription.

tenzen3514
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nvm, looks like I had to make a post first before I could see the private message button.

PhototekNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC I have having the same issue. Can you please send me a Arlo Secure promo code that I can use  until the issue is resolved? Sorry I couldn't fine the "Send this user a private message" button when I viewed your profile.

Thanks.

nomadxp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, went through all the troubleshooting by removing devices, reset the base station and just realise its known issue.

@JamesC  I don't see the option for private message for free one month subscription

TC1818
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also having this problem, and cannot private message.  Please send info on getting a free 1 month subscription until this is resolved.   Thank you.

TC1818
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot the @JamesC for subscription info.

allenw314
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same Here.  Last local recording was 12/12/2022.  I purchased and installed a new router:  Orbi RBR10.  Had to factory reset 2 ARLO bases and re-add all cameras.  After much effort, everything installed and connected.  When testing local storage, nothing appeared in my library.  I believed it to be security on the new router.  So glad I found this community thread.  It is an Arlo firmware bug.

Looking forward to the patch as my home is currently not secure.

Arlo Bases (2) VMB5000r6

Firmware 1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8

Cameras (6) Arlo Ultra 2 H10

Firmware 1.070.52.1_35_1bdb65f

kariznin
Initiate
Initiate

Facing the same issue from last 5 days. No recordings on local storage. 

@JamesC Tried sending you a private message but couldn't find an option. Could you please try and send me a message. Thanks. 

Tinsley
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here. I got my doorbell to record and then I am getting 5 push notifications when there should only be one. I have had so many issues with Arlo and this might be the icing on the cake for me to toss them and go to another brand. 

anagy
Tutor
Tutor

Pls PM me.

I don't see a button to PM you?

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

I have the identical setup - SmartHub, 2 Cameras, wired Door bell camera. I lost recordings on 12/13/2022. I performed same steps to try and resolve. Even bought a new MicroSD and tried that. After about 2-3 hours, I found your post. Wished I had searched a bit more on the problem before wasting my time. It started smelling like a firmware issue. Glad to know it is being worked on.

Haaseb1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. This is the second Arlo system I have purchased as the first one I had issues with and wrote them off to the age of the system. Now this one I have so many issues with I am so tired of Arlo. I believe they do this just so they can get you to buy their Cloud program. Not a chance. I am looking to go with a lot better system like Swann. 

KartDude
Star
Star

Yeah, it was real frustrating.

PM @JamesC and tell him your issue and he will issue a one-month subscription.

Slerke
Initiate
Initiate

Anyone know how to private message JamesC?  I clicked on his name but saw no option to PM him.  I am having same issue and want free iCloud service until Arlo fixes problem.  Thanks, Sue

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

When you click on his name, scroll down towards the button. There should be a button to private message him.

AndyWright
Guide
Guide

@KartDude Thanks for the timely reply. I sent James a pm.

anagy
Tutor
Tutor

same problem.  use the search box at the top of the page; type in JamesC and select users from the drop down.

Gortney
Star
Star

I chatted with tech support today and they are aware of the issue so we aren’t the only ones.  They are working to fix it as soon as possible. I am assuming it was caused by the latest app update. I asked if they could provide free cloud storage while they are trying to fix the issue. They declined. Not surprised. I saw someone else posted that they think it’s a conspiracy by arlo to get those of us with smart hubs to pay for cloud storage. Annoying! 

Landonman
Tutor
Tutor

I messaged James and received my code. It worked perfectly. I have 3 Pro 4 cameras and a 4540 base station. I also made a calendar entry 4 days prior to the 30 day expiration date to make sure I don't get charged another month. I'm good for now. Hopefully they will get this fixed soon.

Mike2842
Initiate
Initiate

I've been running four Pro 4s with a hub, USB flash drive, and no subscription for several years.  Videos have always saved to the flash drive/library without problem.  That is, until 3 days ago.  Suddenly, no videos would save.  I tried re-formatting the flash drive. I tried a new flash drive.  I tried removing/reinstalling the camera batteries.  I tried re-starting the hub.  I eventually reset the hub and re-installed the cameras.  Still, no videos will save to the library.  Can anyone provide any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!