Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
jasdip
Guide
Guide

Thank you @steveh365 for posting.  Glad to see the Arlo rep confirming that Local Storage Recording is still supported without a subscription - modulo the current outage @JamesC confirms Arlo is working to fix - James, any ETA?

KartDude
Star
Star

I just contacted JamesC, the community support manager directly about this issue.

He just responded with this message.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue with local storage.

I’ve attached a promo code for 1-month of Arlo Secure Plus that you can redeem on your account to content to be saved to the cloud while we work on getting a resolution.

arlcxxxxxxxxxxxx (not real code)

Log in to your Arlo account using a PC and navigate to Settings > Subscription select the Arlo Secure Plus plan and enter the code at checkout.

Thank you again for your patience.

I put in the code and unfortunately had also to put in the credit card number and remind myself to cancel the subscription in a month.

The local recording is now working. It is also simultaneously doing cloud storage along with the other frills of person,package, vehicle detection.

Swarnes
Star
Star

I will believe it when I see it. 
Arlo has lost my trust.

KartDude
Star
Star

I just contacted JamesC, the community support manager directly about this issue.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue with local storage.

I’ve attached a promo code for 1-month of Arlo Secure Plus that you can redeem on your account to content to be saved to the cloud while we work on getting a resolution.

Log in to your Arlo account using a PC and navigate to Settings > Subscription select the Arlo Secure Plus plan and enter the code at checkout.

I put in the code and unfortunately had also to put in the credit card number and remind myself to cancel the subscription in a month.

The local recording is now working. It is also simultaneously doing cloud storage along with the other frills of person,package, vehicle detection.

KartDude
Star
Star

Arlo has a workaround. 

KartDude
Star
Star

I suggest you directly contact JamesC.

FrankBreitung
Initiate
Initiate

On 12-12-22 my Arlo Pro 3-VMB 4540 stopped recording. I record on USB!
It has been working great for over a year. I have 3 external cameras and an Arlo doorbell. All appear to be working fine, as they notify me on my App of movement. The base station will simply not record the movement. 
Any Thoughts/Help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Frank

Swarnes
Star
Star

I believe you will probably be billed for service and Arlo will claim it’s an error.  I hope not. Good luck

amartin
Guide
Guide

I do not want a promo code.  I bought into this product because it was advertised as being better with privacy -- Esp when recordings can be stored onto a local base station.  I dont want my personal items stored in the cloud, I do not want to give them my credit card, and I do not want to waste my bandwidth sending it out.

scottkensai
Tutor
Tutor

How many times does arlo have to kill their phone app for local storage for people to buy from a different vendor. I constantly tell people to stay away from it for exactly this reason. How many times have you killed local storage in the last few years?

I am going to start a new reddit thread and chart it.
Every reviewer I find on youtube, I am going to flag your product. 

I hate that I have to push past cloud storage every time to get to local storage.
I hate that one can't see their local storage on the webpage and has to use the phone app.

Arlo, you have missed out on lots of return business from me, I have many other camera setups I have purchased and will not buy from you again.

CIREMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

100% agreed to you @amartin !!!

"I do not want a promo code.  I bought into this product because it was advertised as being better with privacy -- Esp when recordings can be stored onto a local base station.  I dont want my personal items stored in the cloud, I do not want to give them my credit card, and I do not want to waste my bandwidth sending it out." 

baseArlo
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo SmartHub VMB4540 having same issue after 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 upgrade from 13th

Getting notification, but no local recording!

I use local storage mode, and it broke after 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 upgrade. I figure now after reading these messages here. Wasted so much time troubleshooting this, reformatted storage and what not.. all reset etc.

Do some basic testing guys, before releasing update.. this is just opposite of being smart hub!!

amartin
Guide
Guide

In the words on the Great Fonzie:  "Exactamundo"

@JamesC Been working DevOps and SecOps for years, setting up pipelines and QA processes, building support teams.  You let me know if Arlo wants to know how to do it correctly.  This isn't a hard fix.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo base station stopped recording on to my USB.  Was working one day and stopped the next.  Plenty of memory on the USB.  Plus all of the old recordings disappeared at approximately the same time.  I have checked the settings and nothing has changed.  I have three cameras. 

There was an app Arlo update Dec 8.  

Thanks

baseArlo
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC Why can't you guys just rollback ? It has been days, not hours.. if you can't fix it, just roll back!

You are leaving so many houses vulnerable with all this delay! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We expect the firmware release that will resolve this issue with local storage to be available very soon.

Thank you all again for your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

baseArlo
Tutor
Tutor

You should apply that to all the users by default, it's a security risk.

Imagine people on vacations and away trusting on you.. only to find out that nothing is being recorded when something bad happens!

amartin
Guide
Guide

@JamesC no.. We are not being patient, and we don't want the cloud storage.  At this point just give refunds.  I'll even pack it up and pay for the shipping at this point.

HHR
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue, recent firmware of the HUB broke everything. I also went thru the process of removing/adding the wired door bell back on, but it doesn't work. Next suggested step by Arlo was to reset the hub, but I am afraid I'll lose all the Ultra 3 cams that are still working, as I also lost the Ultra2, and I don't believe that's going to fix it. I suspect after new HUB firmware it was supposed to push firmware updates to the cams, bell, etc, and that it seem the older models lost connectivity. Until they release another hub update I won't do anything else.

Randypwalker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem and have been informed that the engineers are working on resolving the glitch. There’s nothing that can be done by us. 

abhijitpassi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

I have Alro Pro4 and since 13th Dec I am getting notifications on movement but no recording is available in the storage. The  base station says that the storage status is good and has enough space.

The firmware on base station is 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 and hardware is VMB4540r3

I saw in another post that the firmware has a bug and thats causing the device unable to record in storage. Is this the same for this firmware?

Thanks

Abhijit

Gortney
Star
Star

My smart hub stopped recording videos from my two pro 3 cameras a few days ago.  They’ve been working fine for months and now just stopped. I’ve tried 

1) rebooting the smart hub. 2) rebooting my wifi router. 3) reformatting the USB drive. 4) using a different USB drive.  Nothing I’ve tried has fixed the issue. Has anyone else had this problem?  I’ve got the latest app on my devices. 

phillipseb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue. VMB5000 not saving file locally on SD Card... I try all setting nothing changes.  No image saved.  Seemed start having the issue in December, and before worked perfectly for 2 years.   Android App work with push notifications and can access the cameras from the App and Website with not issue.  Like you wipe SD Card, reformatted, rebooted, restarted, unplugged and plugged back in, check Wifi Router..  Everything seem good, but just stop saving images to the local SD Card.  

Zilla37
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry for the silly question but how do you private message someone on here.

baseArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Go to user's profile and link is on the right.. I assume you want to private message JamesC, here is direct link:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/3030