Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
gneileo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, exact same issue and firmware.  I have to video doorbells and Pro 4 camera.  The Pro 4 is still recording fine, but he doorbells stopped recording to the Smarthub on the 13th.  Went through all the troubleshooting before I found this article.  I hope they get is resolved soon.  The is peak porch pirate season.

Dbrassfield
Initiate
Initiate

I can no longer view local usb recordings after 1 year, I still get notifications and can access the cameras for live view. I have re installed system and bought a new usb drive. 

RonBerish
Tutor
Tutor

Same situation with my Arlo system with Smart Hub and local storage.. everything fine until updated Arlo app as recommended on 12/12/22

Retired_Member
Not applicable

We have similar backgrounds, maybe? I worked as admin. for web-based inventory/maintenance software. One thing that customers (whether it makes them happy or not) was for us to be brutally honest with them regarding any limitations, costs involved dependent on volume of data stored. We made that decision up-front to eliminate issues. everyone knew what they were getting, what they could not have, etc. We never had a complaint that we could not resolve that wasn't "customer input error". This issue is not customer/end user "garbage in, garbage out" issues. 

RonBerish
Tutor
Tutor

I am having same issue with my Smart Hub local recording since I accepted the upgraded app on 12/22/22

Retired_Member
Not applicable

FYI.  Should the Chat Bot connect you to a live agent, and the agent has Tech Support call you on the phone, make damn sure it's an actual/verifiable Arlo Tech on the phone when they call you...and not a scam support "company" asking to connect to your computer remotely. NEVER allow any remote connections to your computers/devices from Arlo or anyone else for that matter.

Sincerely with best regards.

Lesson Learned.

Tyson01
Tutor
Tutor

I truly believe this was a feature removal that was intentional based on local storage working after subscribing.  Because of this, I believe this is why it's taking so long to get a fix or rolling back the last update.  It will be disappointing if Arlo decides to not to re-add this feature.  Like all of you, I would at that point move on to another camera system and sell/return my existing cameras.

CIREMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

To JamesC , Any update/development to the fix… today is last of achool for holidays and most/al of us going for a long vacation and need your tech tch to fix the arlo ultra cam to send recording to base station… looks like recoding show’s from the cam but not sending to base station it is going somewhere….

Please fix it ASAP … need this recording to be work as is to save local recording….

ASAP …. Please holiday is starting today and people going away and need this Recording to work…

Note i did do allowed all port and apps in my firewall and did changed FW n Filtering device in my CORE and still not working

—— it might be the firmware not sending or system in CAM or Base Station not sending the CAM to base station or Base station denying the permission to right in the destination…

—— please check the permission and The target/destination from coding

——— check if hostname of IP address or MAC address that system calling or permitting.

thanks James hope your tech can fix it ASAP.......

Happy Holidays.............

saidon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact issue and it also started after 1 year of usage. This is very suspicious.

gneileo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction on my last post. Looks like there was an update issued on the 14th.  Firmware version 1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8

Nothing fixed.

saidon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact issue and it also started after 1 year of usage. I saw another post with a similar issue.

Vsopete
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo are useless and I would never recommend their products since the latest software update they no longer record to the base station and Arlo say it’s a known problem but don’t seem to be fixing it 💩

CIREMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion but Arlo looks like not answering my queries cuz i am not subscribing anymore...

this is a holdup......i purchased Ultra almost 5 yrs now, that says in the technical specs for a Local recording and access the recorded captured thru same network and the issues was their CAM system/firmware which they send us a new firmware update  and after the update firmware doesn't recording anymore not an issues on subscriptions or the device..............

That Arlo need an attention fixing the firmware and put back what the Technical specs i bought from this CAMERA system................

____________>>>> arlo support says:

After reviewing your account, it appears that you are not entitled to live agent support. However, you can utilize any of the self-support options available to you including this chat bot, the Arlo Community, and the Arlo support site where you can find how-to articles and videos.
9:25 am
The best way to access Arlo Support is through your Arlo Secure app under Settings - Support.

Arlo Community

Arlo Support Options

Arlo service plan subscribers have priority access to live agent support.

How to subscribe
b125
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 Pro4 cameras with a VMB4540 hub & experienced the same problem around the same time.  The explanation was a firmware glitch, which has not been resolved yet.   Arlo could simply roll back the firmware but has not done so, creating a problem for a security system which can not record - useless if a problem occurs.  I asked for a temporary subscription until Arlo fixed the problem but they replied "NO", reinforcing the useless security system.  We bought additional cameras recently I was about to install but will probably return them due to poor support.

We have occasional local recording glitches & my mother-in-law has a subscription which also stops recording occasionally.  This makes me question Arlo reliability for security.

ericqiu19
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo SmartHub VMB4540 (pairing with camera Pro 3) stops recording to local storage all the sudden a few days ago without any prompts. After double-checking the flash memory on PC, found there is no any new recording videos... Anyone has any idea why? I do not subscribe any plan and only use the local storage.

JeremyP619
Initiate
Initiate

System (Pro 4 cameras and base station) were purchased from Costco and had been recording local videos up until three days ago, when all recordings ceased. The trial subscription has been expired a while so we have been using locally stored videos only. I have tried a different USB drive, restarting the base station and cameras, reformatting the drives, all to no avail, disabling and re-enabling local recording. I get notifications on my phone when the cameras see motion, but 0 recordings for the last three days. I also tried looking at the drive through my PC and it is indeed empty. The base station has stopped recording locally for some inexplicable reason.

What else can I try to get this working again? The system is essentially completely worthless to us in its current state.

Zulo
Initiate
Initiate

Any update on this? @JamesC  What is the ETA?

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had to edit the Standby Mode to set each individual camera to record on motion. 
When I examined the Default Mode Settings for each camera, I was under the impression that the default mode would record a video with a motion trigger. This is not the case. 

I bought the home security box to get the five sensors and use them for what they do. I most likely will never use the Arm Away, Arm Home, StandBy buttons. So, it was confusing that adding this panel would disable all of my camera recording due to these three modes. 

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just got this in an email from support.  Either they don't have a clue or do not plan to fix the issue.

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the late response. I am sorry to know that you were unable to get a recording from your library. Rest assured that I will further assist you with this.

Upon checking here ins our system. it shows that you are not currently subscribed to our Arlo Secure Plan. The reason why you don't get any recordings.

These are the available plan that we have.

1. Arlo Secure with the following features and goes for $9.99.
  • Cloud recording
  • Person, Vehicle, Animal, and Package Detection
  • Smoke/CO Alarm Detection
  • Cloud Activity Zones
  • Interactive notifications
  • Emergency Response

1. Arlo Secure Plus with the following features and goes for $14.99.
  • Cloud recording
  • Cloud Activity Zones
  • Emergency Response

1. Arlo Secure Single Camera goes for $2.99 with the same features that I mentioned above. 

By the way, without a service plan, your Arlo device will continue to have the following features:

• Live Streaming
  • Push Notifications
  • Two-way Audio
  • Auto Zoom & Tracking
  • Local Storage Recording
steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just got this email from ARLO Support either they don't have a clue or don't plan on fixing the issue.

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the late response. I am sorry to know that you were unable to get a recording from your library. Rest assured that I will further assist you with this.

Upon checking here ins our system. it shows that you are not currently subscribed to our Arlo Secure Plan. The reason why you don't get any recordings.

These are the available plan that we have.

1. Arlo Secure with the following features and goes for $9.99.
  • Cloud recording
  • Cloud Activity Zones
  • Emergency Response

1. Arlo Secure Plus with the following features and goes for $14.99.
  • Cloud recording
  • Cloud Activity Zones
  • Emergency Response

1. Arlo Secure Single Camera goes for $2.99 with the same features that I mentioned above. 

By the way, without a service plan, your Arlo device will continue to have the following features:

• Live Streaming
  • Push Notifications
  • Two-way Audio
  • Auto Zoom & Tracking
  • Local Storage Recording
Taxi60
Initiate
Initiate

I am 100% behind you. This is discusting. I have purchased all my cameras and hub and decided on Arlo because it had local storage. I did not want to pay a service fee. What a time of the year to do this and firstly waste customers time trying to solve the problem and secondly, and most importantly, our security and personal safety!!! 

VWdude1969
Aspirant
Aspirant

it sounds great but since I did the upgrade I have the error message and can’t view the files. I rebooted the system. Everything is connected to the same network and still not working. 

B4A79E31-9452-4793-8B60-167F085C05C8.png

KartDude
Star
Star

Yes, this is a terrible response.
Does anyone have suggestions for alternative systems?

Aixnimda
Aspirant
Aspirant

The one time that I need a recording and it is not available. This is unacceptable. Please fix or roll back ASAP. 

MrPeaBody
Tutor
Tutor

This system looks great!

(And thanks Arlo for providing a platform to discuss cameras other than Arlo that  that work!)