Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
Swarnes
Star
Star

Good advice. I believe this is intentional. They want to force us to subscribe to there service.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

TexasG
Guide
Guide

James,

Why isn't this being communicated to the Arlo support team?  I still have an open ticket and am being asked for logs.

This has taken up almost a full week of my time.

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installed the new Arlo security with sensors and new app update to go with my ten cameras on iOS last night and now nothing is recording on motion detection. I can record manually. Account was in good standing. Everything was working great until I upgraded and install the new panel and sensors. I have checked all the settings and cannot see why this is happening. 

usedtowork12345
Initiate
Initiate

Yep,

TOTAL BS

I will be subscribing to comcast or ADT.

Stopped recording videos.  Spent hours with their new LAME interface and no way to roll back the firmware or solve the problem.

This screams of a class action law case.

FIX this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BigBrother,

Check routines > modes to see what your system state is. Select "Arm Away" and test to see if you get recordings.

JamesC

ArloWishess
Initiate
Initiate

Went through this same process with same results. I have the Arlo VMB4540r2 base unit with 3 Pro3 cameras.  I can get ALL of the solicitations to sign up for the service agreements as well as notifications for activity detected but no recordings saved.

I am using the Arlo App on both my iPhone and my iPad Pro and neither of them makes any difference.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've come to learn, the hard way, that Costco is the place to buy everything in the way of electronics that they offer. Their return policy is a wonderful thing.

shannon7581
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same problem.

fahadx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo must bear compensation for all thefts and crimes that will happen because of this, their heinous act

Riconp
Tutor
Tutor

For the past 4-5 days, i am getting notifications for motion from my arlo pro 4 cameras, but no videos are being saved to the usb drive in my VMB4540 base unit. I have tried restarting the base unit and using a different usb drive but no videos saved. problem my have started after last app update. Any suggestions?  Thanks

LVN086A
Initiate
Initiate

Purchased ARLO cameras and hub (over $600) to avoid cloud storage. We have an external hard drive to store videos locally. Support is non-existent. I have been without access to my videos for over 36 hours. Online material does cover/resolve issue. Of course I can subscribe to a plan and cloud storage for help.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

"After 2+ years they can't just take away a feature that I bought and paid for originally."

Actually, Jeff, they can and they did. I purchased our "Netgear/Arlo" system 4 years ago with one camera to monitor the front door.  2 more cameras the following year. The system worked flawlessly. I purchased extra batteries, a charger, outside power adapter for 2 cameras, new mounts...all Arlo branded; no 3rd party items.  With the spike in crime here, I bought 2 Pro4 Spotlight cameras. Installed easily and worked great! Until the trial subscription ended. Local recording ceased for the Pro4s. My other cameras worked as always. I did 4 days of troubleshooting. My older equipment was fine. The subscription trial ending was (is)  the problem. I was this close |  | to subscribing. It's a trust issue for me. I don't trust Arlo to have any of my banking/financial info. No thank you. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

"Arlo must bear compensation for all thefts and crimes that will happen because of this, their heinous act."

In a Just World...but we live in a world where justice is dependent on how much money we have an how politically connected we are. There are exceptions, but they are few.

Tyson01
Tutor
Tutor

I am experiencing same issue with same cameras and base station. Started few days ago

Tyson01
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. Just read the post

OutsourcedGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Things were working as expected but I updated after getting endlessly nagged by your app. Now, I get motion notifications but no new videos in the library. I need a solution or a software downgrade.

I have a local storage device and store videos there rather than in the cloud.

BigBearGma
Tutor
Tutor

Ditto, ditto, ditto...

I've spent the last three days restarting the base station, reformatting usb, etc... finally finding this post. I specifically purchased this system because there was the option to record locally. I'm hoping Arlo is concerned about maintaining goodwill amongst its existing customers and will come up with a fix. If not it's time to look for a different system & put the word out in customer reviews to avoid buying Arlo.

Wasi
Tutor
Tutor

Today I was able to do a Chat with a support person, we went through the process of shutting down restarting, removing stick reinstalling stick, walking in front of cameras to trigger. still nothing. I have a ticket in with a case number. I told him that there are many people with the same issue on the community. It was like it was new to him. Anyway he's supposed to reply back by email in a day or two. We shall see.

Heyronwilson
Guide
Guide

Yep, exact same problem starting on December 13. In my opinion, Arlo leans toward introducing behaviors that interrupt local video storage use so they may entice users to sign up for their subscription service. 

I’ve had problems like this every few months since stopping my subscription, but had zero issues sorting and playing locally while I had the free subscription. This behavior is quite frustrating.

SOHAPPY73
Initiate
Initiate

This has been going on for three days, I’m hoping they aren’t going to make this a pay service. That’s the only reason I bought the base station, so I could do local storage. I would’ve thought they could’ve rolled the software back until it was fixed. But Arlo seems not to be phased by all the people they have without service. So sad !!!! 

joetoro
Initiate
Initiate

I own a set of 2 Ultra 2 cameras plus a base station. Without subscription, I expect local recording to function as advertised. After several attempts and thorough checking the settings, the local recording doesn't work.

I was going to expand the setup by purchasing more Ultra 2 cameras. For this, I changed my mind to switch to other products. There are lots of other products offer better deal than Arlo. I also think Arlo software isn't that well polished compared with other security cameras.

I signed up Arlo community just to say this. This is my last comment.. bye bye for good Arlo

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was told the same thing four days ago. Have not heard from anyone yet and don’t believe I will 

aljackson12
Tutor
Tutor

Recently unable to store videos local? Oddly after update

Leming
Initiate
Initiate

My base station has stopped recording all cameras around the same time that the latest mobile update went out.  I record on a local USB.  I've tried everything:

1.  Deleted files on USB to make more space

2. Formatted USB

3. Tried a different USB

4. Reset the base station 

5. Verified mode settings are set to record whenever there is movement

Anyone else having this problem or know why it is doing this?  To be clear, I've determined that the problem is NOT with my mobile app... I've taken the USB stick to my computer several times lately and it remains empty, though I can view my cameras through the app and the app still notifies me when there is movement in front of the cameras.