Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

The word is getting out on Twitter regarding this issue.  Tweet your frustration to ArlosSmartHome'

Arlo Tweet.jpg

Henrysky
Star
Star

It should be "ArloSmartHome".

CardiffView
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Stephen.

It seems to me Arlo should provide a free subscription to all of its users until they fix the flaw they introduced into their firmware. We are all without the security we expected from purchasing Arlo systems.

Very disappointing Arlo.

Spooder
Initiate
Initiate

Same here no recordings since the 13th,  I get notification of activity but no recordings

K_mber45
Initiate
Initiate

I have the VMB 4540 base station. Using  a 32GB USB for local recording. 
After updating the app, the base stop recording from the three cams. System info indicates everything is good, but still no recordings happening. Notifications/ alerts happen when motion is detected. Is there a bug in this new app? The automated assistant is worthless…any ideas out 

Sgnolocal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Xx

BigGuy52
Initiate
Initiate

I have 2 Pro3 cameras attached to a VMB4540r3 base.  I do not have a subscription to Arlo cloud storage.

Up until 12/13 I could view locally stored videos using the Arlo app.  Now, I get push notifications for activity but when I go to view them the app tells me there are no videos available.  I noticed the at about the same time as the app updated.  I am using the app on an iPhone running iOS 16.2

Joyousoccasion
Initiate
Initiate

The arlo app is not showing the local recordings since the most recent update. 

Arlouser121622
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same.  
interesting is that those cameras with active cloud trial can record locally.   
I hope that there is an option not to upgrade firmware and app automatically.   

CardiffView
Tutor
Tutor

It seems to me Arlo should provide a free subscription to all of its users until they fix the flaw they introduced into their firmware. We are all without the security we expected from purchasing Arlo systems.

Very disappointing Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Haaseb1 wrote:

After the last firmware update none of my cameras are recording to the SD card. I have tried a different card. Tried rebooting system. Cameras can be viewed live. The cameras blink the flood light multiple time when there is motion but no recordings. 
Any suggestions?

Many ofhers have posted this - Arlo is investigating.

Haaseb1
Aspirant
Aspirant

You think they will push a fix to the units?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Haaseb1 wrote:

You think they will push a fix to the units?

Yes.

TexasG
Guide
Guide

I have the VMB5000r4 base with the wired Doorbell and two Ultra 2 cameras.  My doorbell stopped recording / saving videos on December 5th and hasn't captured any videos since.  It still detects motion and alerts me but doesn't save videos.  I also don't have the option to manually record video or take snapshots.  I have wasted so much time due to the poor support from Arlo.  I did a complete factory reset and reinstalled everything.  I have spent hours on the support chat.  They apparently are not aware of this issue and have had me upgrading the app to the Security System app and sending them logs.  How has this not been communicated to support?  This seems almost unethical to not inform your support agents.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi TexasG - The new firmware has shut down local recording and storage.  You can only new view and store video by paying for a subscription.  Most likely Arlo support is in on this as well and just giving all of us the run around.  I have taken down my cameras and unplugged my base unit.  No use paying for electricity for a product which no longer works.

Go to Twitter / FaceBook and express your dissatisfaction ArloSmartHome is the Twitter account.

Wasi
Tutor
Tutor

I’m having same problem. I took batteries out restarted base station and same problem.

Wasi
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here, unless cameras.

JeffRand
Star
Star

Communication is one of Arlo's biggest issues.

Customers can't notify Arlo of issues unless they are subscribers.

Arlo doesn't tell their support agents what is going on. So, the support agents make stuff up, like telling people that they can no longer record locally for free.

Arlo doesn't update their system status page.

It is all one big cluster. This is so frustrating. Arlo should have immediately rolled back the firmware to the know working version. Instead, we just sit here day after day with NO SECURITY. All I have are boat anchors. Come on Arlo, fix this.

jasdip
Guide
Guide

@JamesC please provide an updated ETA for resolution and deployment of a fix.  In lieu of a fix today, kindly provide complimentary cloud storage as an option.

With status.arlo.com still reporting no issues, with what priority/severity has this defect been triaged by the engineering team?

Rocketron
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Pro 4 cameras with a VMB5000 hub. My cameras stopped recording locally a week ago. That is 1 month after the free trial ended. Like the others, I still get alarm notifications and I can view live. Took it all down and started over from scratch. Still no local recording on hub. Settings are set up for local recording. The data card is about 1/4 full. All devices are armed. When I bought the system, I had the choice of with or without the subscription. Without you can only record to the hub and you loose some of the functions. Still should he able to record locally without a subscription.

Rlrusty55
Initiate
Initiate

I had this for 2 years, now I need a subscription.  No way!! We need to start a class Action against Arlo.

amartin
Guide
Guide

Same here.  I even formatted the USB, causing me to loose all my stuff, thinking it was my issue -- How about Arlo setup better communications with this, or a status page -- Or I dunno, allow me to decide when to upgrade firmware.  This is part of the reason I went with the base station so I would have better control.

@JamesC This is unacceptable and I hope those affected with be repaid for our efforts and loss of data.  Why cant they just roll back the firmware the the previous, or even as a "new" version.  

Gutarl
Guide
Guide

What BS that Arlo decides to do an update without any notification or agreement that terminates local recording of video.  I have 4 cameras that have been working perfectly for a year but now nothing will get them to record.  Response from Arlo " this has been solved, systems don't record and we don't know when it will be repaired."  this is unacceptable.  At least roll back the mess screwed up by your software engineers!!!  Why would I want or recommend an Arlo system?  No one would buy ARLO after this mess.

Dsay84
Initiate
Initiate

Highly recommend everyone impacted by this take advantage of what little control they might have.

Hit retail websites (Amazon, Bestbuy, Walmart etc.) and start leaving negative reviews about the discontinuation of the local recording support, effectively turning our security systems into paperweights unless we shell out monthly payments.  Considering that Arlo does NOT have any open defects or tickets published on their website, we can only assume this was either deliberate or low a priority. I certainly hope that is not the case and that more information comes soon, but if this isn't prioritized, it really is a betrayal of Arlo to its customers. Working in product development, I can tell you that a rollback to the previous firmware is something Arlo could have done three times since this was reported.

And while it will likely be ignored, you also can submit deceptive practices complaints to the BBB and your state AG.

Tyson01
Tutor
Tutor

For past 2 years I was able to go to Library and view recordings from my base station USB stick.  A few days ago, recordings stopped and now I don't see any recordings in Library.  The app was updated a few days ago.  I have tried the following

delete app and reinstall app

reboot base station

deleted and reformatted usb stick

Nothing works.  I think app update or some update broke this.  Any ideas?  Arlo Ultra 2, VMB 5000 base station