Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JeffRand
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000r5 Ultra SmartHub running firmware 1.20 4.0_1367_36740e8. I also have two Arlo Ultra 2 (H10 4k) cameras and one Arlo Video Doorbell (1.2 wired). These have been working great for two years.

As of this morning, the VMB5000 base station is no longer recording any videos locally to the SD card. I reformatted the SD card through the app. It reports that storage is available and doesn't show any issues, yet when motion is detected on any of the cameras no recordings take place. I also cold booted the base and also restarted it several times. I can't figure out what has changed. The system status on Arlo's website says everything is good. I tried contacting support, but the chat bot says I can't connect to a live agent unless I have a subscription, which I do not (and have not for over a year). I just need the base to record videos locally and have no need for cloud storage.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I would like to reiterate that the issues being experienced in this discussion are not expected behavior. The development team is currently testing new firmware to address these concerns, we do not recommend any troubleshooting at this time. Once the firmware fix is available I will provide more information.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue that we hope to be able to release soon. I will continue providing information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The issue being described here is not expected behavior. The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue and working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

JamesC

606 REPLIES 606
STC-2022
Initiate
Initiate

Not sure how SW team handle FW release on this.

1. Did FW got validated before release ?

2. Did FW team set a soaking period of time for observing new FW impact to users before formal release?

3. Back up solution - If new FW release cause major failure, is there a way offering downgrade/rollback option for users got impacted??

I think the price/spec Arlo defined in the market should offer better service for non-subscribed customers. Arlo should take care same service level for all HW/SW/Service users in the world.

Damo63
Tutor
Tutor

Hi I have the same issue since installing the latest update of the app 4.0.2 yesterday. Never had any issues for the last 3 years till now.  New app suxs. 

Ronin1_
Initiate
Initiate

Same here. Thought it was just me and I was literally about to subscribe to Arlo till I found this omg 

Damo63
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like a dud app update.  Did the reinstall of base station and cameras without success.  Only one thing left it the app.  

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ Swarnes - You are c correct.  It is the Arlo firmware not our equipment.  Go to Twitter and Facebook to let Arlo we are all not happy with them.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Support told me the same thing two days ago.  Have not heard from them.  Nothing can be done unless the change the software.  I took my cameras down as they are useless at this point.

steveh365
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you JamesC.  I assume you work for Arlo?

Lokiz
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem here as of 13/12/22. Using VMB4540 and USB stick. I've tried restarting and repairing then I found this post. This is a significant defect on Arlo's behalf and they should be giving us free cloud storage until this is fixed. 

CDaggy
Tutor
Tutor

I'm mad as hell and intend on starting a class action suit if this is not resolved ASAP! I spent good money on this system because of the ability to record locally to my SD card. If this is an attempt to get more customers to subscribe to a plan then it is deceitful.

Cordula
Star
Star

i purchased this security cam system for monitoring my property. NOT recording at all  since 12/13 is a big issue for me and having to climb 20+ feet to re install the cams after this ARLO software failure  is an extra unnessary hazard.

I will NOT recommend this overrated security cam system as it puts me in danger of falling off the ladder for unneccesary arlo software failure.

I tried every fix recommendend and still have NO local recordings,. SHAME on you ARLO!!

Cordula
Star
Star

Soo, it's NOT a security system as advertised?

Cordula
Star
Star

such BS from ARLO ! They have great monopoly when searching on Google and everything leads to paid service.

Cordula
Star
Star

Same here!

Cordula
Star
Star

Another FTX company that cost me $500+ with accessories

Cordula
Star
Star

its an overrated company with great advertising and marketingbut NO or one It person and a no function server

CardiffView
Tutor
Tutor

Last night my 4540r2 base station stopped recording locally.

I access my base station with either my iPhone or my iPad. I have the latest iPadOS and iOS. Each device has the newest Arlo App, version 4.0.5 5309 from Dec 6, 2022.

I have two Pro 3 cameras and one Pro 3 Floodlight camera. Just before the ability to record stopped, the Arlo app could not connect to my Floodlight camera. This is something new. I rebooted the system, no change in status. I powered down my system (unplugged), waited for 10 minutes, and then restarted my system. No change in status.

I ejected my disk, and two different windows 10 machines could not read my disk. I reformatted my disk and then reattached it to my base station. I reformatted the disk again with the base station and turned on record locally.

The storage status indicates the Local Storage Status is good and that the available storage has 512.00KB used of 1.82TB.

I trigger one of my Pro 3 cameras several times. My devices are notified of the detected motion. NOTHING is available in my recordings. Even my downloaded events have disappeared on my devices. I ejected the local storage and attached it to one of my windows machines again. There is an Arlo directory with an empty subdirectory. The detected motion events were not saved to disk.

I was able to re-sync my floodlight camera. I simply cannot get my local recording to work. I am concerned that when I rebooted my base station, it was updated to a new Firmware version (I have 1.20.4.0_1305_38740e8 … the latest firmware) and that update now prevents local recording. If this is the case, better regression testing is required for Firmware updates. I have wasted a full day on this.

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Cordula
Star
Star

That's false adertising and in need of consumer complaint!

usa.gov/consumer-complaints#item-complaints#item-35997

MN-Cherry
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here. A couple of days it just stopped recording. Did same steps, but still it is not recording!

Fish5796
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here!! From HK user…

YsB
Tutor
Tutor
We believe that such a bug , inserted to our smart Hub without our consent and approval,  that caused damage and risked our properties,   deserves compensation .
Please forward this demand to Arlo management. 
Taxi60
Initiate
Initiate

I have the very same problem. I have tried all day to sort it out. I am pleased it is not just me but really upset that my cameras, purchased for security at night, are of no use. Really disappointing. 

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

If Eufy introduced 4k cameras, I bet Arlo will lose quite a number of users to them.   Also, I can't find any threads on Eufy community forums about these issues we keep having.  The current issue is only affecting users without subscription but the last issue a few months ago affected all users.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Some other folks have reported this - it appears to be an issue for several folks who use direct access to local storage w/o a subscription.

@JamesC posted that Arlo is investigating yesterday.  I suggest just waiting for him to update us, as there doesn't appear to be anything you can do yourself to resolve this.

JeffRand
Star
Star

Well, we are in day 3 of this outage. I hope it is fixed soon. Something is bothering me though. The status page is still not showing this as an incident. Hmmm....

https://status.arlo.com/ 

Haaseb1
Aspirant
Aspirant

After the last firmware update none of my cameras are recording to the SD card. I have tried a different card. Tried rebooting system. Cameras can be viewed live. The cameras blink the flood light multiple time when there is motion but no recordings. 
Any suggestions?