Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Theo88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why doesn't my cameras catch all of the motion in front of my house it only captures the end of the person or car going out of view never them coming into view

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This is likely due to camera positioning and/or motion sensitivity in your modes and rules. There are FAQs here in the support section to read for the details but remember that PIR sensors only work out to ~25 feet at max sensitivity for people. Motion also should be across the FOV, not at the camera. 

Post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

Theo88
Aspirant
Aspirant
As you can see I'm only getting the car going out of view
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Theo88 wrote:
As you can see I'm only getting the car going out of view

There often is some lag between the motion detection and the start of the recording - the camera needs to "wake" from its low-power state.  And of course the vehicle is likely moving fairly quickly.

Distance is also a factor (as @jguerdat points out).  Vehicles often are detected well beyond the typical 20-25 foot range of Arlo's PIR sensors, but such detection isn't always reliable.  So the motion detection might not have happened immediately when the vehicle entered the field of view.

jcBoynton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo says “The lower two-thirds of the camera’s field of view is the motion-sensitive part of the image. Aim the camera so that any motion you wish to detect appears within this part of the image.”

looks like only the far right part of the road is far enough down to be within the trigger zone. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

As mentioned the recording doesn't begin immediately from battery state.  You do get a 3 second rollback if they are powered.  I went ahead and ran power to all of mine for this reason.  Kind of defeats one of the reasons I went with these instead of a ethernet system but what else can you do once you've paid for them.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Also speaking to some of what has been said, positioning really does matter.  If I had it to do over I would have found a temp mount until I had the right position instead of so many screw holes in my siding.  Had one that didn't pick up cars more than 40% of the time, lowered the cam 1 foot and now it's 90%.  One aimed down the driveway was no better until I turned it a bit instead of pointed straight down the drive.  Another picks up people going out to the car but always lists them as motion, so no notification.  Moved it down three feet closer and it's fine.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@LandJS  Even though 7 feet is recommended I find that lower is sometimes better. Even 2-4 feet in some cases. 

apicalforamen
Guide
Guide
I used to have the same issue and then I signed up for CVR. Solved the issue immediately. Stinks it was a $9/mo fix but it works great now.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation