Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 - small animal detection and continuous recording power options

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RLC2021
Follower
Follower

Hi all!

I'm hoping people can offer some advice.

I have just purchased an Alro Ultra 2 system with three cameras. Currently one is being tested outside, and it is not picking up my cat. I've moved it closer to the ground to see if that helps, and will give that a go . . . 

Basically I am trying to work out a system that I can use for research on chickens. I need it to pick up their movement during the night and record it. If I cannot get the motion detection to work on my cat, then I am guessing I am going to need to go with continuous recording . . . . But the whole point of going with the Arlo was to avoid trying to hang stupid cords everywhere. So are there other options? I just need it to run for a week between charges . . . would the solar charger being attached work even if no power was coming through it? Or would a power bank work? 

Any advice is most appreciated!

Thanks 🙂 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RLC2021 wrote:

Basically I am trying to work out a system that I can use for research on chickens. I need it to pick up their movement during the night and record it. If I cannot get the motion detection to work on my cat, then I am guessing I am going to need to go with continuous recording . . . . But the whole point of going with the Arlo was to avoid trying to hang stupid cords everywhere. So are there other options? I just need it to run for a week between charges . . . would the solar charger being attached work even if no power was coming through it? Or would a power bank work? 

The solar panel won't work for continous recording.  The Ultra senses that it is connected to a panel, and the system won't let you enable it.

A power bank of some kind might work.  There are a couple of posts here from folks who've tried that with their Arlo Pro/Pro2 cameras, but I haven't seen any for the Ultra.  But distributing power would likely get you there quicker (and without experimentation).

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have 7 cams up and where I am there are 8 cats, 3 racoons and 2 opossum.  At that size it is maybe maybe not.  The cats are touchy based on color, the dark grey and black are toughest.  One racoon is dark with only one ring on the tail is also hit and miss.  The light ones usually trigger and send a notification.  The darker trigger and record about 70% of the time but as motion, not enough for a notification.  If my outdoor lights are triggered then it's almost as clear as daytime.  For what your wanting to do a lot will depend on their location for the trigger and if they are active maybe best for continuous recording as there is I think a limit on recording length based on a trigger.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation