Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I have the original Arlo cameras and they suck; are the newer ones any better?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
notyourmama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the original Arlo cameras and I am so done with them. The only time they detect and record anything is when there absolutely nothing notable to record. Any time something actually happens that I'd like to go back and review, the friggin' thing has gone on a smoke break.

I might consider upgrading to a newer version but I need some feedback from the community on whether or not I would actually gain any sensitivity/usability improvements. I have a nuisance neighbor and I need to get this stuff on camera.

I welcome any feedback from someone who has experience with the original cameras as well as the newer ones, or someone who would otherwise be knowledgeable on what improvements I may gain from upgrading. It's either upgrade or wire the house for ethernet and run my own 24/7 DVR at this point.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to say what you should buy, but I have still 2 Arlo HD ( original ) running on a 4000 base along with Pro, and Pro2 cams.

The Pro and Pro2 are a def jump to a higher level over the originals, while the Ultras are even better IMO. The major issue I see with the Ultras is the less range over the old cameras... not due to bad cams but due to 2.4 ( older cams ) vs 5ghz being used.

But there are other things to think of... How many cameras do you need ?  Do you want to buy a subscription ?

The Legacy cams ( arlo, pro, pro2, baby, Q ) cameras don't require a subscription still for 7 days rolling storage.... the newer camera all have a trial period but then require a paid account.  Your own ethernet system would not have a fee.

If this is just a small setup, I might lean to the Pro/Pro2 with a 4000 base as this base also allows a USB backup storage for all videos... also Don;t forget the Q camera as they are pixel detection ( much more accurate detection ) and will work thru glass without the night vision ( it reflects back )... So if you had a window inside, you can detect outside as long as you have lighting.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to say what you should buy, but I have still 2 Arlo HD ( original ) running on a 4000 base along with Pro, and Pro2 cams.

The Pro and Pro2 are a def jump to a higher level over the originals, while the Ultras are even better IMO. The major issue I see with the Ultras is the less range over the old cameras... not due to bad cams but due to 2.4 ( older cams ) vs 5ghz being used.

But there are other things to think of... How many cameras do you need ?  Do you want to buy a subscription ?

The Legacy cams ( arlo, pro, pro2, baby, Q ) cameras don't require a subscription still for 7 days rolling storage.... the newer camera all have a trial period but then require a paid account.  Your own ethernet system would not have a fee.

If this is just a small setup, I might lean to the Pro/Pro2 with a 4000 base as this base also allows a USB backup storage for all videos... also Don;t forget the Q camera as they are pixel detection ( much more accurate detection ) and will work thru glass without the night vision ( it reflects back )... So if you had a window inside, you can detect outside as long as you have lighting.

Morse is faster than texting!
notyourmama
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the info, and in particular the notes about what models require what subscriptions.  I'll study this and decide what to do.  I really appreciate your time and info!

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation