Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Operating temperature - Ultra 2 cams. Arlo states -4F but mine gave error at 5F.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JimmyW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo's site states that the lowest operating temperature for my Ultra cams is -4°F (-20C).  However, with the temp at 5°F, the system reports that the device needs to warm up before I can use it.  See screenshot.  So, in addition to not working as Arlo states, how will it "warm up" if the temp doesn't get above 5°F - 15°F for a week? 

Also, the batteries will not charge if they fall below 32°F/0°C.   So, must I replace the cold batteries with charged spares if the temp drops below freezing, or bring the cameras inside to charge?  It seems that it's going to be very difficult to use the Arlo during the winter in the Northwest.  Thanks.

thumbnail.png

4 REPLIES 4
JimmyW
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a certain degree of ambiguity about the exact temp that causes the cameras to stop operating although 9 degrees seems like a lot. Use of AC power may or may not help keep the camera operating since the camera is operating and generating heat. 

JimmyW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!  Using the AC charger doesn't help.  In fact, the batteries are designed not to charge below freezing.  We experience days below freezing for several months, and dragging the cameras inside all the time isn't appealing.  Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't put a warning on its site to avoid buying the cameras in cold climates. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I happen to have a Pro 3 floodlight on AC power at the moment and the battery remains charging below freezing. We don't get below 0F often here but it's been near that recently with the AC power apparently generating enough heat to keep the charging going. I realize that I'm not using an Ultra 2 but the basic design for this is very likely the same. I suppose the camera would have to warm up enough first for this to work.

YMMV.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation