Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to delete clips recorded locally to an SD card Arlo Ultra 2

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've setup an SD card in my base station and have successfully recorded clips to it. It's nice you can actually see these in the Arlo app (after downloading) as from what I understand that wasn't always possible. So this seems to make the Ultra 2 cameras actually usable without a subscription. 

But the question I have and a search reveals no answer... how do you DELETE clips that are stored locally? When viewing in the app the submenu only gives options to Share and Save to Photos

I fear the answer is going to be you can't and you must remove the SD card which, if that's the answer, is insane and bad, bad design. So I hope that's not the case!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Correct - you have to mount the card in a computer to manipulate stored videos. There's no real reason to delete videos for the most part, especially since there have been many instances of folks then wanting to get those videos back for whatever reasons.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

>how do you DELETE clips that are stored locally? When viewing in the app the submenu only gives options to Share and Save to Photos. 

I have not fund an option in Arlo App (2.21) on iPhone  to delete individual clips stored locally on my SDXC card. I was able to delete individual clips from my SDXC after moving it to my mac and deleting in the macOS file system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Correct - you have to mount the card in a computer to manipulate stored videos. There's no real reason to delete videos for the most part, especially since there have been many instances of folks then wanting to get those videos back for whatever reasons.

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'll disagree as there are many reasons to delete videos from an SD card. Mainly because they fill up. What if you're away from home and the card gets full? It seems like a purposeful action to NOT allow you to delete from the SD card from the app. Purposeful as a way to get you to pay for the subscription to get any real functionality out of the Arlo system. I want to like these Arlo cameras, I really do but they are making it difficult to.

IMG_0163.jpg

Heck, you can't even tell how much space is left on the SD card when looking in the app. See attached photo. What's left... 29 MBs? 29 GBs? 29 PBs??

weft
Apprentice
Apprentice

I second Loyed.

A problem with deleting SD card video clips on a  computer is, that in addition to video clips there is metadata on the SD card and it was not clear to me what metadata to manipulate to match my deletion of the m4v videos. I deleted a few  m4v clips, but when back in Arlo base the deleted videos were still showing in Arlo App (due to unchanged metadata), but as blanc thumbnails. This is not a clean delete IMO. Therefore I have to conclude Arlo has not implemented a true "delete video clip from local storage" function, which is inconsistent with the offering for Arlo cloud, in which you can delete any video clip you want.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation